The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Old timey remedies for bot egg removal

Barring using a bot scrapey block on the legs of all 25 of my horses ages 6 mo to 20 years, is there an old remedy that can be applied to get rid of bot eggs?

BABY OIL, I think I learned this trick from COTH. Not sure on the exact mechanisms/whys and hows, but it causes them to shrink and disappear.

I use a pumice stone. Quick, easy, no waiting

Then the one-off eggs that remain I just use a fingernail.

Baby/mineral oil works because it tricks the egg into thinking it's been ingested, so it hatches, and because it's outside the horse, dies.

I want them OFF

Why not the bot knife? Works great for me...but then again, maybe thats just as time consuming as the block

I use a bot knife or if they are on the lower legs, I clip.

I use those black grooming blocks that smell awful, but they work. I still have the same one from when I was 10 years old.
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.

I hate the bot knifes LOL I have to work way too hard for too little results. Pumice stone rocks

I would rather prevent them before they happen by worming in the fall rather than picking off eggs. Then of course there is always the stray bot fly (cuz your neighbors do not worm) and since the adult fly is only there to deposit eggs on your horse (and not feed on your horse) they are looking for an ideal place to lay. Just about any great skin conditioner that leaves a silky residue on the hair coat runs them off and back to the neighbor's horses.

Seems like when my neighbors moved all my bot issues dissapaered with them and their horses. But I can not think of a legal way to force anyones neighbors to be gone....so maybe not an effective means of bot control for most.

Quote Originally Posted by Groro View Post
    Barring using a bot scrapey block on the legs of all 25 of my horses ages 6 mo to 20 years, is there an old remedy that can be applied to get rid of bot eggs?
    a sharp knife?

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    a sharp knife?

Tamara
    I use a bot knife but then I don't have 25 horses. What brand of coat conditioner would work?
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

I thought I read somewhere that if you vinegar rinse them (the vinegar at the approximate pH of saliva(the bot egg "thinking" that it has been licked by the horse) that they will detach and fall off...I wish I could remember the details. I will have to do an internet search.
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.