The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My dog ate chicken bones!

I got home tonight and found that my dog got into the trash and ate chicken bones. He appears ok, playing, drinking and urinating. No pooping yet. Should I be worried? What should I be looking for overnight/tomorrow morning?

A vet I used to use said that the chicken bone story dates from when meat chickens where old layers, and modern commercial breeds are killed too young for bones to be brittle.

He reckoned avoid turkey bones but feed chicken. I've fed 100s of chicken bones to my labs without issue.

Probably nothing to worry about. My dogs have eaten them several times in a similar situation and never any harm.

I didn't know that about the younger chicken bones (about 12 weeks old I think),
    but my dogs have had accidental raids into the garbage periodically and are stilllalive to tell the tail (unfortunately - rotten things!)

Raw chicken bones are ok. I'd worry about cooked bones of any type, since they can splinter.

Hey don't worry about that.., Its common to all dogs.. Eating chicken bone is not harmful..

I'd only worry if he look in pain when eliminating or stools were black/tarry (meaning digested blood), or if you see red blood in the stool. Then I'd probably make a vet appointment.

Depending on how they're chewed up, cooked poultry bones can break into extremely sharp splinters.

I'd be extremely worried. Cooked chicken bones, particularly the femur (drumstick), make intestine-lacerating death bombs for dogs.
    RAW chicken bones are soft and digestible.

He'll probably be OK but watch carefully and be ready to rush to emergency surgery at any sign of discomfort.

Well, so far, so good. The only thing out of the ordinary overnight/this morning is that he woke me up to go out at 4am. Usually he his fine till the alarm goes off at 7. He did go #2 and it looks normal. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes through his system nice and easy.