I haven't talked to my vet yet. They emailed to me and are going to give me a call tomorrow.
So borderline postive for :Orchard grass, brome grass, to Rice, Bayberry and Peacan trees, pyrethrum (explains why her skin peels when I spray her with that bug spray),Kochia weed, Dust Mites and Russan Thistle.
Postive Allergic to : Sheep Sorrel weed, English Plantain weed, Deer Flies (which I knew..big welts), and several different types of Molds.
She's most allergic to deer flies.
So I guess what is causing her to cough starting from spring-fall on and off (sometimes really bad) is Molds. Now how in the world do I get rid of that one? I'm in a high table water area so when we get wet we stay wet for a bit. At one point Mold would grow overnight on the painted cinderblock walls..so I guess spraying bleach would help that. Any suggestions?
Has anyone tried allergy shots? I've been told their $190 a mix (not sure how long that will last).
Also the hay that she is currently eating is a orchard, with a little timothy, and little brome in some of the bales. She is also on Triple Crown Senior which has Rice Bran in it. Should I switch hays and grain if she's slightly allergic?
Last edited by morgansnmind; Dec. 7, 2011 at 09:06 PM.
I had a horse on allergy shots for at least a year and it helped. Talk to the vet at the lab that did the test as they will no much more than your local vet. When you feed something slightly allergic then they can develope an allergy to that also. Mine had an allergy to protien so I could feed any sweet feed. It seems to me that Safechoice is a better option for horse with allergy's but this was several years ago that I dealt with it.
Shots are given regularly at 1st and then spread out just like with humans so it is more expensive and tapers off.
How about one of those hay steamers, that are supposed to remove a lot of the dust, mold, and allergens from hay? Might not eliminate symptoms if the horse is truly allergic to what it's eating, but removing dust and mold is probably NEVER a bad thing.
From what I've seen is that the hay steamers are really expensive. There's no way I would be able to get DH to go for it (since he is the one that works ...). Homemade streamers probably wouldn't work either because I don't have hot water at the barn yet.
Last summer I soaked hay and it didn't really make a big difference.
I read somewhere of making your own hay steamer using either a large bin, or an old fridge was suggested laying on it's back. Then you buy a wall paper steamer, take off the steam head and just run the pipe into your bin or fridge, put in your hay and start up the steamer, Sounds like a good idea to try
I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.
Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique
My horse came back allergic to tons of things that proved impossible to remove from his environment without turning him into bubble boy (molds, the fungus that lives in soil-and he loves to roll, multiple types of hay, multiple types of flies, dust, etc), so I went the allergy shot route. He continued to have symptoms (massive hives) for about 2-3 months during the initial series, and then they completely disappeared as if someone had flipped a switch. I now give them as maintenance every 3 weeks and the vial (around $190) lasts about 10 months. It is money well spent. My horse and I are both happier, and I have vowed never to take him off of them. If you've already spent the money to have your horse tested, the cost of the shots is small in comparison. They are easy to give, but be prepared that the first couple months are quite tedious with different amounts given every few days until you work them up to a full dose, and then it's easy peasy!
In my experience the shots help skin allergies much more than respiratory allergies. I have a horse that I've tested twice and gotten results similar to yours. He's the most positive to mold and ragweed. This time of year he coughs alot but since I've had him on the shots he hasn't gotten "sick". Before he starting him on the shots he was prone to upper respiratory infections
I used allergy shots on my (now) ancient pony. I think they saved his life. He no longer needs them, and just gets minute doses of dexamethazone when needed (spring and fall mold season).
There is quite the protocol to starting the series -- small doses of a dilute solution, increasing to full strength in a number of weeks. The needles are tiny, and didn't bother my pony at all. I did keep a vial of epinepherin on hand in case of a reaction. I never needed it.