The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default lame horse vent...Updated vet visit

So didn't get to ride in the beautiful weather here Saturday due to housework, and it rained all day Sunday Went out to groom my gelding to get some horse time and found him lame...
    No signs of a spill in the mud (not a bit on him), no abscess signs, just one slightly thicker tendon on his left hind.

BO & I walked him a bit to analyze and he looked sore on all 4 feet, but worse on the left hind...landing heel toe in the back and camping out way under himself.
    Trim had been done on Tuesday prior, no obvious reason to think he was sore from that but not discounting it. BO had not noticed him being off at all prior to that.

Monday checkin with BO - still raining, he was moving about the pasture but cautiously.
    Tuesday checkin - he cantered up with the group for breakfast, still moving cautiously when walking. A bit more sore after.
    Tuesday night/last night - I went out to check on him...Off by himself in the pasture but attempted to trot up when I got out. Even in the dark I could see and hear him a bit off. Major head bobbing, very uncomfortable walk to the barn. He was muddy on one side of his body - not sure from laying down or a fall. BO & I decided to leave him in a stall as long as he stays sane (notorious stall walker when alone). So far so good, BO is going to put an ice wrap on the leg today...

He is not a heavily worked horse in the slightest I'm a weekend warrior of sorts trying to make time for more and now that I have more free time he's lame
    And the worst part being we don't know why so all I can do is wait and see...sigh.
    Last edited by paintedtrails; Dec. 12, 2011 at 12:54 PM.

What a bummer! My mom deals with that too. Her horse is a abscess prone horse and has a slight case of navicular. Keep us posted!

thanks, he's in a stall and not particularly happy about it right now so not sure how long this will last.

No abscess history in my 4yrs of owning him - just a bad sole bruise and twisted "ankle" a few years back on a front foot.
    Owned by 1 horse, 2 dogs, 1 cat, my 7yo son, a 4yr old cowgirl, and my hubby!
    RIP Traveler & Tesla <3

If it is all four feet I think I would be alittle concerned about mild laminitis.

Seems to be more obvious to the rear left, with some soreness all around due to compensation. We did not find any digital pulses.

If he doesn't improve this week, I may spend the $ for the vet with the good US machine to check him out... BO is sans cell phone today so I won't know how he is doing till tonight when I get home.
    RIP Traveler & Tesla <3

If her soles wear out so fast to make her sore I can't imagine anything short of shoes and pads or hoof boots will help.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

last night's update: He was pacing in the stall making himself more sore so BO turned him back out. He's good for a bit, then not. I wish they could speak!
    RIP Traveler & Tesla <3

Default Jingles for your horse ```

Jingles for your horse ````
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Quote Originally Posted by paintedtrails View Post
    . . . And the worst part being we don't know why so all I can do is wait and see...sigh.
    You'll get all the help you need right here.

Whatever you do, don't call a vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    You'll get all the help you need right here.

Whatever you do, don't call a vet.
    No need to be a Jacka$$ about it. I never said I wasn't going to, but neither the BO or I see the need to jump into that if rest makes it better, since there is no obvious injury. Given this weekend is now a week of this, I do plan to him checked out. I don't have unlimited funds - like most of us- so trying to do what makes sense when half the time they won't know why either!
    RIP Traveler & Tesla <3

Sounds like the same symptoms my horse had a couple years ago. Especially the camping under in the hind end. I did call the vet immediately and he had a mild case of laminitis.

Horse is good as new now. I wouldn't wait any longer to call a vet.

No need to be a Jacka$$ about it. I never said I wasn't going to, but neither the BO or I see the need to jump into that if rest makes it better, since there is no obvious injury. Given this weekend is now a week of this, I do plan to him checked out. I don't have unlimited funds - like most of us- so trying to do what makes sense when half the time they won't know why either!
    My bad.

Since you are clearly entitled to the luxury of owning a horse, but can't afford it, I'll give you a mulligan.

No need to be a Jacka$$ about it.
    Read all other responses and you will know this is normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    My bad.

Since you are clearly entitled to the luxury of owning a horse, but can't afford it, I'll give you a mulligan.
    With this philosophy; no one that isn't a millionair shouldn't have a home, a car, or even a child - since they are all luxuries!

I hope you find out what is going on with your horse!! These type of things are soooo difficult.... good luck.
    Live in the sunshine.
    Swim in the sea.
    Drink the wild air.

The fact that all fours are affected would really concern me to want to get the vet soon.

Exactly what I was thinking doublestable! I can afford to keep my horse and give him everything he needs, not necessarily drop $$ at the drop of hat.

And Tom, not that I need to justify myself to you but I was never looking for a DX/answers on here, just venting on how much it sucks to have a lame horse when I finally have more time

Anyway, he is really only showing symptoms on the left rear, but the lameness vet is due out Monday am regardless.
    RIP Traveler & Tesla <3

when my gelding got mild laminitis, we cold hosed his legs and feet alot.....did that before we knew exactly what was going on with him. It helped alot, according to my farrier.

lame horse for a week ESPECIALLY with no obvious signs of injury = call the vet.

Update - vet was out this am and he is now on stall rest & bute for a week with a bandaged back left hoof.
    The trim wasn't bad per say, just too much off the sole on that foot. The rest of his soles were also very soft, so he is on a regiment of hoof hardener all on other feet for the week, then 2x a week maintenance.
    We've had crazy weather, from dry to a muddy mess so we fiugre that is what tipped him over the edge.

And he now is supposed to wear a fly mask year round due his pink rimmed eye - but she knows somone who can do the tattooing so I will be looking into that further!
    RIP Traveler & Tesla <3