The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

x, Ian Fleming! Thanks, A non-riding friend framed the quote and gave it to me as a joke.
    Said it expressed his attitude perfectly!

I don't know why I got the the idea it was Churchill...but funny to think of Mr. James Bond saying that!

The quote attributed to Lincoln reminded me of another horse incident he was supposedly involved in. He was beginning to mount up when the horse kicked and caught a hind foot in the stirrup. Lincoln is supposed to have said: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you're getting on ... I'll get off. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"The fool on the hill"
    \"The fool on the hill\"

"His stance is proud,
    His heart is pure,
    His loyalty unbound.

And when he runs
    his hoofbeats echo
    thunders noble sound.

His swiftness challenges the wind
    in untamed majesty.

His spirit ever riderless,
    his soul forever free."

I'm not sure who the author is, but I love it.

From Cherry Hill:
    "Keep your mind in the middle and a leg on each side."

Thanks for all the great replies...this has been a fun thread!

MCL

Ridge, Long Island,NY, USA ~Cowgirl Clique~

How did I miss this thread??? Oh well, better late than never !!

Horses... its a wonder God didn't keep them for Himself. ~UNKNOWN

"I never play horseshoes 'cause Mother taught us not to throw our clothes around".....Mr. Ed

"On the first day God said, 'Let their be horses; on the second He painted them.'" ..unknown...this one is for you, Auntie Lynnie &gt;g&lt;

Old Proverbs: "An ass is an ass, though laden with gold." "Every ass loves to hear himself bray." "Every ass thinks himself worthy to stand with the King's horses." "The ass of a King is still but an ass." (German proverb)

"Stable thinking is the ability to say'neigh'." unknown

Both a horse and a man have something in common, both dump you, though generally you get over the horse's dumping first." Unknown

"Riding: The art of keeping a horse between you and the ground." Anonymous

Show me your horse, and I will tell you who you are. - Old English saying

Differences: Some will Some won't Some do Some don't Some are high strung Some act as if they don't care Some get excited Some stay calm Some seem to get it Some act as if they're dumb Some give up Some lay down Some go fast Some slow down Some learn fast Some seem to know Some want to lead Some want to follow Some have purpose Some are hallow It just goes to show All horsemen/women are not the same ..Unknown

"One man's wrong lead is another man's counter canter." Steven D. Price

Experienced riders are not prone to brag. And usually newcomers, if they start out being boastful, end up modest. - C.J.J.MULLEN

"A canter is a cure for every evil." Benjamin Disraeli

"There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing." Will Rogers

"How short do my stirrups have to be?" Erin King, age 11, at her first English Show before she went into Short Stir Up class............sorry Widge, I couldn't resist http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

"Wherever man has left his footprint in the long ascent from barbarism to civilization, we will find the hoofprint of the horse beside it." John Trotwood Moore

"No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" --Winston Churchill

"Horse, thou art truly a creature without equal, for thou fliest without wings and conquerest without sword" --from The Koran

"A horse is the projection of people's dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence." --Pam Brown

" Never give up. For fifty years they said the horse was through. Now look at him-a status symbol." Fletcher Knebel

"Some of my best leading men have been dogs and horses." Elizabeth Taylor

"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or a cow being stupid, I figure it's a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorance

"Soothe your horse when he wheezes, or one day, he may turn and kick you where he pleases!" Anonymous ........submitted by Rose Ott !!

"You know a horse when you can look into his eyes and feel his pain." .....Unknown

"Closeness, friendship, affection: keeping your own horse means all these things. " -Bertrand Leclair-

"In riding a horse, we borrow freedom." -Pam Brown-

"A true horseman does not look at the horse with his eyes, he looks at him with his heart." "Our souls are entwined. My horse's and mine." ...Unknown

"My ladies have promised that I shall never be sold, and so I have nothing to fear. And here my story ends. My troubles are over and I am at home.....standing with my friends under the apple trees." Black Beauty

"There are no bad horses...only bad owners." Ron Flory

The earth does not belong to man; man belongs to the earth... All things are connected like the blood which unites a family... Man did not weave the web of life; he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself." Chief Seattle (1854)

"Don't be the rider who gallops all night and never sees the horse that is beneath him" --Jelaluddin Rumi

"The horse will leap over trenches, will jump out of them, will do anything else, provided one grants him praise and respite after his accomplishment." --Xenophon

Eileen

"Always saddle your own horse." Connie Reeves 1901-2003 Member of the Cowgirl Hall Of Fame

The Long Island Horsemen's Society web page
    http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/lihs/
    Eileen
    ~~Cowgirl Clique~~ ~~Reriders/AKA Fossils On The Flats Clique~~~

\"Always saddle your own horse.\" Connie Reeves 1901-2003 Member of the Cowgirl Hall Of Fame

Gabz: Very cute quote but won't work for those of us that ride aside! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Posted by Jewels:

&lt;&lt;In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1100 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs---its just something you cant get from a pet hamster! &gt;&gt;

LOL -- Jewels! This is for a classromm of kids! Somehow, I don't think that this quote will be the first one chosen. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

My two faves, because I can personally identify with both of them:

A Horse! A Horse! My Kingdom for a Horse!

The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LIHS Western Chair:
    How did I miss this thread??? Oh well, better late than never !!

"Horse, thou art truly a creature without equal, for thou fliest without wings and conquerest without sword" --from The Koran

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is not from the Qur'an, although it is popularly ascribed as so.

It may be a mildly corrupted form of a hadith.

Unashamed member of the Arab clique...just settin' on the Group W bench.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

i know of this site and it has tons of quotes all about horses...
    http://www.horses.co.uk/horses/quotes.html

but my fav's are from the O'Connor's none the less...

"To have a horse go well, after all the preparation...it is magic." - David O'Connor

"I remember the first few times that I rode. It felt wonderful to have an animal under me, to feel the power, to be able to go fast. Just having a relationship with an animal was really a great thing for me." - Karen O'Connor

~*"When you train a horse on a daily basis, you're a part of the horse's movement, you're a part of his motion. Everything that the horse experiences is coming from you. There's a total connection -- a true friendship -- and the connection touches the soul completely." -Karen O'Connor*~

~*"I really like the communication with the horse -- watching them become confident and discover the amazing things they can do. There's definitely a personal kind of closeness between you and the horse. There's a connection between your personalities." -David O'Connor*~
    i just love those two!!!
    "Just say what you think and write what you feel and eventually someone somewhere will appreciate it. And that’s all you can ask for." -CRD

I used to put quotes on the barn whiteboard every day-- can't remember why I stopped. Maybe I'll start again now.
    This is OT, but does anyone remember the poem about Man O'War? It sends tingles down my spine whenever I read it and I would love to read it again.

Here's my contibution--from an unknown author:

Let Me Teach You

When you are tense, let me teach you to relax.

When you are short tempered, let me teach you to be patient.

When you are short sighted, let me teach you to see.

When you are quick to react let me teach you to me thoughtful.

When you are angry, let me teach you to be serene.

When you feel superior, let me teach you be respectful.

When you are self-absorbed, let me teach you to think of greater things.

When you are arrogant, let me teach you humility.

When you are lonely, let me be your companion.

When you are tired, let me carry the load.

When you need to learn, let me teach you.

After all, I am your horse.

As has been said before, it's only a job if you'd rather be doing something else.

A good man will take care of his horses and dogs, not only while they are young, but also when they are old and past service. - Plutarch

Pat
    http://www.quarterpole.com
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

"Throw your heart over the fence and the horse will follow..." author unknown, very old saying... I only wish someone would tell this one to the horses!!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif

"Everything looks good until you start to examine it!!!", uttered by me on more than one occasion
    "Good gardening is very simple, really. You just have to learn to think like a plant." ~Barbara Damrosch~

"If your horse says no, you either asked the wrong question or asked the question wrong." (unknown)
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

My favourite book of all time, has in my opinion the best quotes to live by (if you change them to human lessons).

These two are from black beauty.

There is no religion without love, and people may talk as much as they like about their religion, but if it does not teach them to be good and kind to both man and beast it is all a sham - James from Black Beauty, by anna sewell

i hope you will grow up to be gentle, and good, and never learn bad ways, do your work with good will, lift your feet up well when you trott, and never bite or kick even in play ....Duchess from Black Beauty by anna sewell

I cry everytime I read it but can read it over and over and over.
    Its my absolute favourite

"I hope you will grow up to be gentle and good, and never learn bad ways, do your work with good will, lift your feet up well when you trot, and never bite or kick even in play."
    -Duchess, Black Beauty, Anna Sewell
    \"I hope you will grow up to be gentle and good, and never learn bad ways, do your work with good will, lift your feet up well when you trot, and never bite or kick even in play.\"
    -Duchess, Black Beauty, Anna Sewell

"Look back at our struggle for freedom
    Trace our present day's strength to its source;
    And you'll find that man's pathway to glory
    Is strewn with the bones of a horse."
    Unknown