The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Am I Over-reacting?

Tell me Cother's am I over-reacting here?

I moved to a new barn on Sunday, about 15 minutes down the road from my previous barn.
    B/O said she had to pick up one other horse on the way so she would be 30 minutes tops.

TWO hours later.... my horse finally shows up.
    Cuts and scrapes all over her face.

Turns out B/O got a "Timmy's craving" per B/O husband, and they parked the trailer at Tim Horton's for over an hour before going to get the other horse.

Next....

Last night I get a text message stating that she has decided to charge $30 extra for blanketing.

Next.....

Thirty minutes later I phone her to discuss above and she states that she has decided to increase the board prices by $25 monthly starting January 1st.

I get that things happen on a trailer, I get that we all need caffeine, I get that it can be a pain to put on a winter blanket when horses are turned out and ok.... I get that prices go up.

Maybe it's PMS but I really want to move my horse to another barn. I am furious with the last of business ethics and morals.

(Note- no contracts signed).

If there's anything ive learned from coth....its GET THINGS IN WRITING!!!!

BO can do whatever she wants since nothing is in writing.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Not overreacting. Move the horse.

Thankfully, I haven't had to board in many years, but I remember my boarding days! Personally, I don't think it's fair at all for you to move, and without warning BEFORE you move, they up the board. I'm also on the bandwagon - GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING!

Cuts and scrapes "all" over her face? Yes overreacting to that, but the rest NO, I say MOVE now before she hits you with more fees etc...next thing you know she'll say he broke a fence you need to pay for and feed prices are up so more board, then hay, then no turn out because he's tearing up the fields unless you pay for reseeding...get out now!!!!

I think I would take all of this as a big warning and be looking for a new location quickly.
    I can't even imagine needing a coffee that badly that I can't finish with my trailering and then go get one, or at least take it to go if you need to stop. Let alone doing this with a new horse on the trailer.
    The increases in board and for blanketing right after you move in would turn me off as well. I can't imagine any responsible barn owner not knowing when they are increasing board in advance of doing so, so you should have been made aware of these increases before you moved.

In my experience with barn owners like this... this won't be the last time she fails to communicate changes of plans with you. Save yourself the stress and find a barn where the owner knows how to communicate with clients/boarders.

Oh thank you everyone!

My husband kept rolling his eyes at me last night as I vented. He always says he wants to move out during the PMS week, so I thought maybe I am not thinking clearly.

The cuts are minor but under and between her eyes, her nose, mouth. She looks like she got attacked by a cat.
    I accepted that as a trailering risk but I am thinking if she were not on for that long would this have happened. (She is only 3, so she hasn't trailered much).

I am so glad I have COTH *virtually hugs everyone*

The cuts (unless it was severe, ie requires vet care) wouldn't bother me and the trailering wouldn't, either, but the "suddenly" deciding to charge for blanketing? (I'm assuming that you'd already discussed this and before your horse was on her property blanketing was included.) "Suddenly" the board is going up January 1? I get that board can go up as costs do, but with nothing in writing and combined with the charge for blanketing (again a fair thing IF discussed in advance) sounds like, even if you DO try to get things in writing, you're going to be nickel and dimed to death. What next? Adding supplements (even premeasured in SmartPaks) is now $15? Charging to take the halter on and off? Mucking out the stall is included but bedding is extra? I don't trust someone who agrees to one price and then once they have you 'locked in' just "suddenly" comes up with new charges.

Frankly, the trailering would bother me -- I do not think is is great horsemanship for someone to pick up a 3 year old who is not used to trailering, park it for over an hour in a Tim Horton's parking lot, and go eat leaving the youngster in the parking lot. Especially when you are only moving the horse 15 miles. Take the darn horse home and then get your lunch. Or better yet, eat beforehand so you can stick around and ensure the new horse settles well. I cannot imagine doing that, personally and I've been hauling horses all over the East Coast since the day I turned 16.

OP, I think you are taking this all very calmly. Time to look for another place. Sorry it didn't work out!

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    What next? Adding supplements (even premeasured in SmartPaks) is now $15? Charging to take the halter on and off? Mucking out the stall is included but bedding is extra? I don't trust someone who agrees to one price and then once they have you 'locked in' just "suddenly" comes up with new charges.
    This was my thought exactly.... what next!?

Thank you for the response

OMG your horse is still there? The shipping thing alone would have made me get the f$#! out of dodge. So unprofessional.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    Frankly, the trailering would bother me -- I do not think is is great horsemanship for someone to pick up a 3 year old who is not used to trailering, park it for over an hour in a Tim Horton's parking lot, and go eat leaving the youngster in the parking lot. Especially when you are only moving the horse 15 miles. Take the darn horse home and then get your lunch. Or better yet, eat beforehand so you can stick around and ensure the new horse settles well. I cannot imagine doing that, personally and I've been hauling horses all over the East Coast since the day I turned 16.

OP, I think you are taking this all very calmly. Time to look for another place. Sorry it didn't work out!
    This. I would be FURIOUS if a short trailer trip with a 3 year old turned into a 2 hour long trip because the driver wanted some coffee.

Any one thing might not be the breaking point (although I'd be majorly PO'd that my horse was on the trailer for two hours). However, three issues on the first day. I'd be out of there.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

This is only the beginning. Hit the road.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

I agree, splitsville...

What does your board contract say with regards to price changes and any given notice to clients. We have it writtent that changes in pricing must be with thirty days written notice, among other price related details we have in our contracts. OUr contract is written in such a way that our clients are not caught off guard by price changes. It makes us accountable for our business practices but it also sets up the idea that, since we are accountable, so are they.

And hopefully, you don't have a thirty day written notice to leave. we do not have that in our contract. we feel that if an owner is unhappy, as long as their tab is clean, they can leave at any time.

from the sounds of this BO, she doesn't feel running a business has anything to do with common sense and sound business practices that promote loyal client relationships. Another hardcore my barn my rules lady with no reality.
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

Having boarded at quite a few places over the years, the best advice I can give is trust your instincts. Lots and lots of horse people are nuts. Others are well meaning, but disorganized, unprofessional, or motivated solely by their own interests.

Ultimately, finding the right boarding situation means trusting in someone else's judgment- because you aren't there every second and you shouldn't feel like you have to be.

Every time I've had serious feelings that things weren't right- they weren't .

Forget 30 days. Not only is nothing in writing, she gave you 25 days notice of the board increase and none at all on the blanket charges.

No single thing is that outlandish but taken together? Shows an enormous amount of disorganization and possibly irresponsibility hinting at worse to come.

Heck, if I can haul 10 hours and only stop once to eat and get gas for 20 minutes and a second time for gas and a pit stop for 10 minutes? She dam sure can haul an hour round trip...unless she is lazy to boot.

Get out of there.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Leave. Now.

Any one of those things I could live with, but not when all of them happen within such a short amount of time moving barns.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Forget 30 days. Not only is nothing in writing, she gave you 25 days notice of the board increase and none at all on the blanket charges.

No single thing is that outlandish but taken together? Shows an enormous amount of disorganization and possibly irresponsibility hinting at worse to come.

Heck, if I can haul 10 hours and only stop once to eat and get gas for 20 minutes and a second time for gas and a pit stop for 10 minutes? She dam sure can haul an hour round trip...unless she is lazy to boot.

Get out of there.
    this... posters are pretty much in consensus - let us know how the new barn works out.