The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default NY Times: Can the Bulldog be Saved?

We won't take bulldogs during the summer at my salon. Why? Because the walk from the parking lot to the salon is enough to cause some to overheat and die. They are seriously THAT fragile. We've had too many close calls and known other places to actually lose dogs.

Everytime I see one I wonder WTF is wrong with people that they think it's okay to keep breeding them. They are walking vet bills in every way. We don't have a single one that comes in that doesn't have at least one serious health problem, most have many.

My co-worker and her DH are serious Georgia fans and they have bulldogs. The first one they had died while boarded at the vet's when it was put in a run to pee. Vet's office said she was only out there for a few minutes but it was hot out. But if a vet can't keep them from overheating, it's scary.

They now have two others that have nothing but medical problems - cherry eye, skin allergies, yeast infections, ingrown eyelashes and more. Co-worker has to keep her house really cold in the summer for they pant like crazy and they only let them out for very brief periods of time. I frequently kid her that her dogs are more $$$ and work than my horses - but, honestly, I think it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by gaitedincali View Post
    We won't take bulldogs during the summer at my salon. Why? Because the walk from the parking lot to the salon is enough to cause some to overheat and die. They are seriously THAT fragile. We've had too many close calls and known other places to actually lose dogs.

Everytime I see one I wonder WTF is wrong with people that they think it's okay to keep breeding them. They are walking vet bills in every way. We don't have a single one that comes in that doesn't have at least one serious health problem, most have many.
    Nothing (much more than usual, that is) wrong with breeding bulldogs, who generally have wonderful goofy personalities, but EVERYTHING wrong with breeding to promote the current "desirable" conformation abnormalities.

The bulldog is a structural disaster, and I completely agree that that is a shame. I doubt the AKC breed club will ever change the breed, though. And there is zero chance of any outside force making them do it. They'd have all the breed clubs fighting them tooth and nail. I mean, the bulldog's physical deformities and the heart issues of the Cavalier King Charles are so extreme most people could agree the problems there should be corrected. But then what? What are the dwarfed breeds like Corgis and Dachshunds? The giant breeds, like Great Danes, Mastiffs, or Cane Corsos? How about the weird coat breeds like the Xolo or Sharpei? All of these dogs have unnaturally heightened physical features that make their lives more difficult and unhealthy.

Also, I'm dubious about the ultimate value of making this breed more physically healthy for once simple reason - there are already a number of breeds developed by fantasists who wanted healthier, more authentic versions of the Bulldog. Essentially, they're all pit bulls. To be brutally realistic, at least Bulldogs are too unhealthy to get into much trouble.

You are so right Vacation1.

I love mutts.

I've always wondered why people bred (I totally typed breeded at first..lol) bulldogs simply because I couldn't imagine breeding an animal that was incapable of actually getting pregnant and giving birth naturally. I believe I read on a pro bulldog website that 90% of litters are born through AI and c-section. The website also said that bulldogs have to be helped to nurse and that bulldogs do not make good mothers. They shared this fact to explain why bulldogs are so expensive, but it kind of made me think WTH? So people are breeding animals for traits that make them not reproductively sound. Sounds like forced Darwinism, but the animal pays the price instead of the idiot causing the problem.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

My mom's employer has one. The dog's issues include:

-entropion (has had surgery but needs a second one)
    -hip dysplasia
    -frequent sinus issues
    -fungal infections in the facial folds due to excess tears collecting in them. If they are not washed and treated twice daily, the fungus recurs

my parents have a bulldog and she doesn't really have any health problems. She'll sometimes get hot spots but besides that nothing.

However, she doesn't look like a lot of bulldogs I see on TV. She's purebred but she's taller and has less rolls than most. She's very athletic and loves to run around.

However, she doesn't look like a lot of bulldogs I see on TV. She's purebred but she's taller and has less rolls than most. She's very athletic and loves to run around.
    yeah, there's ONE bulldog on our local agility circuit that well, is a well-built athletic animal. Doesn't look much like the so-called "champion" bulldogs, but is supposedly pure-bred.

This is a reason why the AKC will never see a penny of my money or get any support from me of any kind, including attending shows or buying an AKC registered dog. They COULD do a lot (and are probably the only organization that could) to stop the breeding of dogs to such unreasonable conformation standards that they become crippled or die at an early age. It's encouraged by some of the breed standards. It's not right.

Only mutts here and, if for some reason I can't imagine, I wanted a purebred dog, I'd find one bred for work and not for show (which would rule out some breeds). Both our herding mutts must come from working stock (assumption based on where they came from and their personalities and drives), makes them a handful, because they demand to be given a "job", but they are strong, smart and healthy.

A very good friend of mine has three Bulldogs doing agility, one is now retired. If you saw her young dog, you'd see he is an amazing athlete. He was picked specifically for agility and is a bit longer legged and not so extreme as some of the conformation dogs, but he is all Bulldog, cute as a button and a marvelous fast dog. AND runs in the summer, yes in AC buildings but still.

I happened to catch Martin Clune's Man and his Dogs the other night. For some odd reason, in Great Britain, they stuffed the champions when they died, and these were used as a reference to the modern bulldog. The samples were from not that terribly long ago, 40s and 50s and the bulldog of that era looked remarkably like the rendering in the photo accompanying the article. The head as wide as the body is a recent (people years, many dog generations) innovation and I do remember seeing taller, leaner bulldogs with their faces far less pushed in, fewer wrinkles and the head in normal proportions. The same facial characteristics have been exagerated so much in flat faced breeds, many can pop out an eyeball just by taking a small but awkward jump down a step. The GSD has been ruined in North America - no strength in the back, displastic hips, exaggerated stance - no comparison at all to what it used to be save for a few breeders that have not succumbed to fashion. Poodles are insane (insanity in reverse proportion to size to boot) creatures for the most part now - a sad mess from a solid hunting and guard dog. Collies and dobies? Well to exaggerate the slim head, they bred the head so small on these poor beasts, the brain case is too small.
    Same crap in horses - 1400 pound double muscled monstrosities on 00 shoes, super fine bones in others, and on and on. Cats - look at what the Siamese and persians have become.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Just watching this documentary http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhXHF...e_gdata_player makes me feel like running to buy a plush toy!!

Post #15 reported as spam.

The GSD has been ruined in North America - no strength in the back, displastic hips, exaggerated stance - no comparison at all to what it used to be save for a few breeders that have not succumbed to fashion. Poodles are insane (insanity in reverse proportion to size to boot) creatures for the most part now - a sad mess from a solid hunting and guard dog. Collies and dobies? Well to exaggerate the slim head, they bred the head so small on these poor beasts, the brain case is too small.
    And have you seen what they are doing to the Old English Sheepdog? This used to be a solid dog capable of actual herding work, with a rough and shaggy coat, but the show breeders aren't content with just over-scissoring and back-combing till the thing looks like a sissy, they are also deliberately breeding for a goose-rumped look. Now the dog looks like an overgrown Bichon Frise.

As for English Bulldogs - a former BO's daughter bred them. She lived in the apartment over the barn with 6 (or was it 8?) bulldogs. Seem she was constantly getting a new one or breeding a litter. For a while, the tack room was filled with the sound (and smell) of 4-6 bulldogs in their crates - they have so much trouble breathing, it sounded like being in a bear's den. In these parts, bulldogs sell for big bucks to UGA fans with more money than sense. She kept thinking she would make extra spending money by breeding them, but I'm not sure how she managed to come out on top by the time she paid the vet to AI them, and paid the vet to deliver them by Caesarean, and paid the vet for all their other health care issues - some litters were only 2-3 surviving pups.

A friend wrote this article about the cost of raising a litter awhile back. It is NOT cheap!

http://quarterpole.com/dogs/NancyLitterSourmug.pdf

Was raised by/with a Bulldog & have had several. Love them, but don't know that I'll ever have one again.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!