The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct. 1, 2011
    Location
    Outside of the most isolated capital city in the world.
    Posts
    35

    Default Do you know DOUG ?

    Do you know DOUG? If you do, Please deck him for me. Watch this and you'll know why.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...e9V71116Q&NR=1

    The title of the clip is, "Why I will never own a horse." It should read, "Why Doug should never own a horse" with a subtitle of "How to create a kicker."

    "This is only the last minute of a 20 min ORDEAL" says the poster. That poor horse. I was hoping 'Bobby' would get him fair on the scone and wipe out the few lonesome brain cells, that this rotten moron has left. Lord knows what other 'training' poor Bobby has to endure.

    Woman goes on to say, "Doug shows he still has the moves." I have a move to show DOUG, my right foot gets planted, REAL HARD, where it's gonna hurt him the MOST!

    I assume the young girl at the end is his Daughter, looks like she's going to have the same level of Horse-sense as Daddy, note lead rope wrapped around her hand. OMG why aren't the right people infertile? (HIS parents, I'm not blaming the kid here.)

    The dingbat filming the clip, callls her website, 'Ultimate Coaching Cognition,' and shows THAT! OXYMORON or WHAT? HAHAHAHAHA.

    BTW This is the first time I have started a thread, as I haven't been here long. If it has been posted before, I apologise.
    The hardest thing about riding my horse? The ground.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan. 14, 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    5,699

    Default

    While it would be the method I would choose to get a horse on, it was not so bad.

    They are just doing as version of 'make it more comfortable inside the trailer than outside'. He has not hitting the horse hard or whipping it. He was not acting in anger or frustration. The horse was not upset, it was kicking because it was annoyed but it was not scared, defensive or aggressive. He appeared skilled at keeping out of the way of flying hooves. It is probably not going to teach the horse anything other than disrespect but they have not harmed the horse.

    Like I said, not how I would do it but I don't think it is anything to necessarily bash. Certainly not worthy of planting a foot up someone's backside.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct. 1, 2011
    Location
    Outside of the most isolated capital city in the world.
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Sorry, I think that greatly increases the chance of that horse becoming a dangerous kicker. He had been doing that for 20 min, according to the person filming. If he repeats this every time the poor creature has to load the horse will learn to lash out.

    What if a younster at the barn walks too close, whilst carrying a crop and gets kicked? The horse is labled dangerous and then what becomes of it? Not to mention anyone it injures.

    I've retrained a few horses with issues, Girth shy, whip shy, dead to the leg, barn sour, head shyness, and trust issues. all caused by poor handling, often in a short time span. Unfortunatley the horse is usually the one that suffers the consequences.
    The hardest thing about riding my horse? The ground.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan. 14, 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    5,699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kik & Mish View Post
    Do you know DOUG? If you do, Please deck him for me. Watch this and you'll know why.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...e9V71116Q&NR=1

    The title of the clip is, "Why I will never own a horse." It should read, "Why Doug should never own a horse" with a subtitle of "How to create a kicker."

    "This is only the last minute of a 20 min ORDEAL" says the poster. That poor horse. I was hoping 'Bobby' would get him fair on the scone and wipe out the few lonesome brain cells, that this rotten moron has left. Lord knows what other 'training' poor Bobby has to endure.

    Woman goes on to say, "Doug shows he still has the moves." I have a move to show DOUG, my right foot gets planted, REAL HARD, where it's gonna hurt him the MOST!

    I assume the young girl at the end is his Daughter, looks like she's going to have the same level of Horse-sense as Daddy, note lead rope wrapped around her hand. OMG why aren't the right people infertile? (HIS parents, I'm not blaming the kid here.)

    The dingbat filming the clip, callls her website, 'Ultimate Coaching Cognition,' and shows THAT! OXYMORON or WHAT? HAHAHAHAHA.

    BTW This is the first time I have started a thread, as I haven't been here long. If it has been posted before, I apologise.
    Perhaps you misunderstood me. I did not say it was a preferred training method. I said that I did not agree that it was abusive towards the horse , which is how I interpreted your original dramatic posting with it's wish to know who Doug is so you can plant your foot in a certain part of his anatomy. And while the guy loading the horse could use some improvement in his 'technique', there is nothing there that would cause me to advocate for him to be kicked by the horse.
    Last edited by sketcher; Dec. 4, 2011 at 10:59 PM.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2010
    Posts
    5,423

    Default

    I agree with Sketcher. Kick and Mish--you sound like you don't have much experience with horses at all, and need to back off with the hyperbole.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr. 27, 2008
    Posts
    2,285

    Default

    I agree that he wasn't hitting in anger, and it could have been worse. Etc.

    But his timing was awful. Or, perhaps I should say that he had no timing. The few times the horse was considering jumping in, the dad went ahead and hit him anyway. That makes it impossible for the horse to connect the cause and effect.

    I found it painful to watch. And I was surprised to see a girl dressed like an equestrian in the video at the end. No way would I have allowed my dad to do that to my horse!!



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct. 1, 2011
    Location
    Outside of the most isolated capital city in the world.
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    I agree with Sketcher. Kick and Mish--you sound like you don't have much experience with horses at all, and need to back off with the hyperbole.
    Well you would be wrong. Maybe some poeple do things differently in America. I was not meaning literally, when I mentioned placing my foot. If you can't see that he is jepordizing the future welfare of that horse with his methods. I give up.
    The hardest thing about riding my horse? The ground.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2010
    Posts
    5,423

    Default

    Wow. Jeopardizing the future welfare of the horse? Hyperbolize much? I think you can probably find a few worse things around. But, you know, that's just me, and I've only trained my own bred horses to GP, 50 plus national level year end awards, one of the only people in the country to have all six of my medals earned on horses I've trained. . . I guess you should be the one to judge everyone.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug. 11, 2003
    Posts
    3,589

    Default

    Seriously??

    I'm right there with Kik & Mish. How could anyone with the slightest notion of trailer training think that irritating the horse with a crop/whip (whatever) for 20 minutes!! was an effective means of trailer-training?

    I wonder what happens when his daughter uses her crop when riding?



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct. 29, 2009
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    891

    Default

    I think it was awful - cack-handed, misguided, potentially dangerous, totally lacking in feel, hopeless timing, needlessly irritating the horse, quite possibly inculcating bad habits and "attitude". Yuck!



  11. #11
    Join Date
    May. 21, 2011
    Posts
    1,431

    Default

    Put me in the "Doug is a moron" camp. Even I know that is not how you create positive operant conditioning with an animal.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug. 11, 2003
    Posts
    3,589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    I agree with Sketcher. Kick and Mish--you sound like you don't have much experience with horses at all, and need to back off with the hyperbole.
    Out of curiousity - why did you write that post? I just don't get what is going on on COTH these days when someone comes on and write an insulting post against another poster for absolutely no reason. You don't know Kik & Mish any more than I do, so why would you make this assumption based on one post and then write it. Just mean.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan. 14, 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    5,699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kate66 View Post
    Seriously??

    I'm right there with Kik & Mish. How could anyone with the slightest notion of trailer training think that irritating the horse with a crop/whip (whatever) for 20 minutes!! was an effective means of trailer-training?

    I wonder what happens when his daughter uses her crop when riding?
    No one said it was an effective method. Or recommended method.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct. 1, 2011
    Location
    Outside of the most isolated capital city in the world.
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Thank you for the support Kate. Very nice of you.

    Well It's 4am and I'm a bit calmer. I will admit I may have been OTT earlier. I'm the first to admit when I'm wrong. I was absolutely livid when I barricaded myself behind my laptop to avoid tearing into my new 21yo DIL of 9 months. She has told my son Under no circumstances wil she spend any time, over Xmas or any other time with my elder son and his new wife.

    I have a birthday on Friday, it's 3 weeks to christmas and she is going to rip apart the few remaining members of a very small family. Since getting a diagnosis of blood cancer in aug. 09 family is so very important to me now. I have no way of knowing if there will be another birthday or Christmas. So I projected my anger on to Doug, he grated on my nerves so badly.

    Been there done that, you are so defensive and vicious, used the same methods yourself? People like you are the reason I have never wanted to show or compete. Always blowing their own trumpets and sneering at everyone else. Even your username is egotistical. Anky has done far more than you can dream of, however she is vile and abusive person, her horses mean nothing beyond the tool she uses to advance her own greed.

    I don't have to brag about my accomplishments, I know what I have done. When a problem horse no one wants turns a 180, when a sad or fearfull eye shines with confidence. My heart explodes, It's worth far more to me than any scrap of ribbon or medal.
    The hardest thing about riding my horse? The ground.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct. 1, 2011
    Location
    Outside of the most isolated capital city in the world.
    Posts
    35

    Default

    [QUOTE=Beentheredonethat;6003199]Wow. Jeopardizing the future welfare of the horse? Hyperbolize much? I think you can probably find a few worse things around. But, you know, that's just me, and I've only trained my own bred horses to GP, 50 plus national level year end awards, one of the only people in the country to have all six of my medals earned on horses I've trained. . . I guess you should be the one to judge everyone.[/QUOTE

    I was going to respond in full, but life really is TOO short. I can't be bothered.
    The hardest thing about riding my horse? The ground.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2000
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    12,543

    Default

    So you come wandering in here and post a link in order to rag on some dude named Doug whom you don't know and who isn't here to defend himself, then get all pissy because people don't embrace your opinion, then proceed to rag on your relatives, who are also not here to defend themselves.

    I do get just the slightest whiff of hypocrisy there.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

    ...just settin' on the Group W bench.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb. 20, 2010
    Location
    All 'round Canadia
    Posts
    4,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kik & Mish View Post
    Thank you for the support Kate. Very nice of you.

    Well It's 4am and I'm a bit calmer. I will admit I may have been OTT earlier. I'm the first to admit when I'm wrong. I was absolutely livid when I barricaded myself behind my laptop to avoid tearing into my new 21yo DIL of 9 months. She has told my son Under no circumstances wil she spend any time, over Xmas or any other time with my elder son and his new wife.

    I have a birthday on Friday, it's 3 weeks to christmas and she is going to rip apart the few remaining members of a very small family. Since getting a diagnosis of blood cancer in aug. 09 family is so very important to me now. I have no way of knowing if there will be another birthday or Christmas. So I projected my anger on to Doug, he grated on my nerves so badly.

    Been there done that, you are so defensive and vicious, used the same methods yourself? People like you are the reason I have never wanted to show or compete. Always blowing their own trumpets and sneering at everyone else. Even your username is egotistical. Anky has done far more than you can dream of, however she is vile and abusive person, her horses mean nothing beyond the tool she uses to advance her own greed.

    I don't have to brag about my accomplishments, I know what I have done. When a problem horse no one wants turns a 180, when a sad or fearfull eye shines with confidence. My heart explodes, It's worth far more to me than any scrap of ribbon or medal.
    Yeah, ummm.
    Look, you're kind of accusing others of doing exactly what you've done (blowing up at someone/something online because you were pissed off), but then you say that kind of behavior is also why you never wanted to show etc. Well yeah, but you've displayed exactly that kind of behavior. So your type of person is the reason you never wanted to show?

    You've had a bad day (which we know because of your odd over-shary post about your evil DIL) and you posted in anger. But Beentheredonethat is "vicious" and "always blowing their own trumpets and sneering at everyone else"? Hey, maybe they're just as lovely a person as you are (or conversely maybe you're just as vicious and sneering and egotistical as they are - perhaps DIL could offer another viewpoint?), but happened to also be having a bad day?



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    16,630

    Default

    Just got to love the holidays. Way too much crazy for me!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan. 14, 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    5,699

    Default

    I think we should cut her some slack. The family stress stuff was an explanation as to why she went a little over the top on the idjit in the video. It wasn't like the other thread which basically started out - "ZOMG my stepdaughter may be having an affair with her female trainer and you can figure out who they are simply by following the link in my siggie...."



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2010
    Posts
    5,423

    Default

    Coanteen--Yep. I wasn't "blowing my trumpet" but demonstrating that I've been around the block a few times, and really old, and turned a few horses around. Coming on here and slamming someone on youtube to make yourself feel better is in pretty poor taste. You might want to look at the responses of people who have been in here a long time and see how they react.

    Kate66--Why did I write that she was hyperbolizing and it makes her sound inexperienced? Because it does. Just like her deciding Anky is vile and abusive. Slightly arrogant? I find the people in here who come in and accuse others of being abusive (from personal experience) are the most abusive themselves. I did not accuse her of being abusive, just of being hyperbolic and naive. I'm assuming everyone knows what those words mean.



Similar Threads

  1. Anyone heard of Doug Serjeant?
    By Cattler_100 in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: Jul. 11, 2012, 05:41 PM
  2. Thoughts on Doug O'Neill?
    By Devon'sGirl26 in forum Racing
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: May. 24, 2012, 08:41 PM
  3. Holy cr^p, Doug O'Neill
    By Eventfan4LIFE in forum Racing
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: Jan. 1, 2011, 07:58 PM
  4. Doug Spink - Help Needed!
    By cheriecalgary in forum Off Course
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jun. 30, 2010, 05:18 PM
  5. Doug Payne
    By starkissed in forum Eventing
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: Apr. 29, 2010, 09:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness