The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default David Mullinix photography - Poplar Place

Does anyone have any experience with this photographer? They were at Poplar and got some good shots of my horse and I. I ordered the cd but still have not received it. No response to email or phone call. Is this typical for them? Anyone else order their CD and not receive it?

I ordered one shot from them last spring. First, there was no printing at the show, which wouldn't be a big deal except they charged $7 to mail it to you. Turns a $25 shot into a $32 shot. Then, it took absolutely forever to get the photo. Once I got the photo, it was slightly fuzzy and off-center. Looked very amateurish. I emailed them about my displeasure and received no response.

I will never buy any photos from them again.

Crossing over from h/j land, but I've worked for Dave in the past and have bought tons of pictures from him, always had a great experience.

Divine Comedy, I would highly recommend calling him to resolve your issue.

I have called and emailed to no avail. Not even an out of office type reply. So far, I am NOT impressed! I just want the photos I paid over $100 for!

Default Hmmmm.....

Now I'm a bit worried too. I ordered a CD as well and I have not received it. I vaguely remember the girl saying that it would be at least two weeks and they had something going on afterwards that might delay it. Sidenote I had some of the best show pictures at the event which was my horse's worst finish. Ironic uh?
    Things happen for a reason...so when I reach over and smack you upside the head, just remember...you gave me a reason!

I've had major problems with him and so have many other people on COTH, do a search and you'll find other threads about it. Most people that order either don't get their stuff, or it takes several months.

CD's take forever, if they ever come. Mine didn't come for FIVE MONTHS...emailed multiple times, called multiple times, left messages ranging from nice to polite to downright pissed. Finally got ahold of him, no apology, just "oh...yeah...it's the post office's fault or something...they're slow." Three days after I talked to him on the phone, I did receive the CD, postmarked the day I talked to him. Wonder if I ever would have gotten it otherwise.

Won't ever buy from him again.

I bought 2 pictures in October from the Sept Poplar and haven't received them. I send 2 emails and have not gotten a reply.

Guess I will have to call.

I asked about this in May. It tok me getting the orgazier involved and threatening to call my credit card company and getting involved before I finally heard from David or got my CD. Mult calls and emails. And I directed them to the threads on coth. His excuse was that he had a new smart phone and couldn't figure out how to return emails. I got the CD a week after I said I was giving him 24 hrs before I called the cc comp. he called 12 hrs after that email.

Strongly suggest you go same route. I know of someone else that did same thing before she got her CD
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Yikes. I know a couple of friends who ordered pictures from him. I will let them know....
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

Typical. There was a thread on here about David earlier this year (May maybe?). I ordered a photo, as in 1 5x7, in March, and didn't get it until September, when I demanded he print it at the show. They did get some great shots of me and my pony at the Nov show, but I won't buy them because David is so hard to deal with.

Please, please, please, ALL of you that are having trouble, (nicely) email Donna. I already have. That's the only way I can see getting things changed. Would love to see Mark Lehner get the job....
    Fade to Grey Farm
    Eventing, Foxhunting & Connemaras
    *NEW* website:www.fadetogreyfarm.com

I just received my two pictures in the mail yesterday. The dressage picture was pretty good but the o/f is slightly fuzzy. oh well...

Most of our events in area III are done by hoof clix, and mark is amazing. I highly recommend that company. This was my first season eventing, and I got to meet him personally on a course walk during the CCI** at chatt hills in october (i believe...). He remembered my pony and we talked for probably 20 minutes at the water complex where he was taking pics.

I am used to people like him. I had never used a company like David Mullinix until Poplar place and I had to email twice and call once. never responded to any of them but it appears he sent it out after my email early this week. post marked Dec 5th.

I was at Chatt Hills in Oct with my boy! I usually buy photos of him at the events (always looking for promotional photos LOL) and love all the other photographers in Area III, but between quality of Mullinex photos and what I went through to get them, I'll be very hesitant to ever use him again and if I did, I wouldn't leave the show grounds without them.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

I had a very poor experience with him. Didn't ever get the photo. Could never get in touch with him and the one time I did he said he would send it but he didn't. I took my paperwork to a Poplar show over 6 mos later and the girl printed it out for me. It was very fuzzy plus he uses really cheap stock. I actually went back with some HoofClix photos to show them the difference - night and day plus HoofClix is less expensive. I won't ever buy another photo from Mullinax.

I have only had the best experiences with him. Have probably purchased 15 cd's from him in the last few years.

Well, I have sent 2 emails, left 2 voicemails and sent an email to Donna as well. Nothing so far. I have to say that I'm extremely disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by acottongim View Post
    I was at Chatt Hills in Oct with my boy! I usually buy photos of him at the events (always looking for promotional photos LOL) and love all the other photographers in Area III, but between quality of Mullinex photos and what I went through to get them, I'll be very hesitant to ever use him again and if I did, I wouldn't leave the show grounds without them.
    we will have to meet up next time! I haven't ever met up with anyone on COTH since I'm pretty new to eventing AND coth.

If you ever see a blue roan large pony carrying a 5'7'' adult that's me! If you need picture evidence, there are some pics of him and I in my blog down at the bottom of the page

Absolulty!! My boy shows under Andrew Palmer (Tatendrang) and is a big bay stallion. My name is Anissa Cottongim (I have the most original user name ever LOL).

OP - when I complained (and it was a LOT more than what you have done...) I did hear back from Donna, never heard from David until I sent an email that I cc'd Donna on (all correspondance after the 2nd email was cc'd to her) stated that if I did not hear from him within 36 hours I was contacting my credit card company to lodge a complaint. He basically had till noon on Thurs of that week. Wed night at 8 pm (central time) he called my cell and told me that he had gotten a new smart phone, didn't know how to reply to emails, didn't know how to look at emails etc and had just gotten the email that I sent him. He told me that he would process my order and put it in the mail. It was a week later I got the CD. This was almost 2 months after the event. The photos were adequate, but not great. I started my campaign to get photos early on with him based on a thread here on COTH (that I pointed out to Donna and David), otherwise I think it would have been longer. A friend whose horse was at the same event didn't get her CD for almost 3 months and it took her doing the exact same thing (threaten to call the cc company) before she heard from him - apparently THAT works. BTW it wasn't a threat I was going to call and have the payment reversed and then I was going to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I also had a complaint letter ready to go from my uncle who is an attny.

I won't buy from him again and don't recommend him.

Just received my CD in the mail today from Poplar November.
    Yay!!!
    Things happen for a reason...so when I reach over and smack you upside the head, just remember...you gave me a reason!

I finally got my cd today. I called 3 times, left 3 voice mails, wrote 3 emails to them and 2 to the HT organizer. In the last one I threatened to call the BBB and my credit card company.

While I am glad I got my CD, the pictures of the jumping phases were what I was after but the trouble I had to go through to get them is simply not worth it. I still haven't heard a word from David Mullinix. Not an apology or contact of any sort. I will not be buying images from them in the future regardless of the quality.

Update: I just got a somewhat unpleasant phone call from David's wife about why they weren't able to call or email in the past 2 weeks. I'm sorry they were busy and have had other problems but I really don't think that in that length of time it was unreasonable to expect a "hey, got your message, we're working on the cd's" phone call. That being said, the images are here and that's all I wanted.
    Last edited by Action42; Dec. 14, 2011 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Adding

Default Happy customer here

Just wanted to say that I was hesitant to order after reading this thread but really really wanted the pictures. I was pleasantly surprised with my experience.

Before ordering I called him and left a message to see if he could put pics from a show last year back up. Within 30 minutes he called me back. He was very nice to talk to and had the pics loading before hanging up the phone.

I ordered from both shows. They came in within time frame promised and look great.

Two thumbs up from me!