The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Where there are only carousel horses to be had...

Default Davidson College, Emory University and Rice University?

Anyone have specifics on the riding teams and local riding situations? Any other information on the school is greatly appreciated. I'm hitting the end of the college process with a list at:

Dartmouth
    W&L (thanks to the alums who I've already talked to! You guys totally sold me )
    Sewanee
    UVA
    UNC (Chapel Hill)
    Hamilton College

(All definite/apps in)

Possible: Rhodes and Claremont McKenna

Considering: Vanderbilt, Davidson, Emory, and Rice.

I'm interested in studying International Relations and Public Policy, possibly Business (would like to go to business school and would love a school with a 4+1 MBA but not a must), maybe do a creative writing minor too. As you can tell from the list, I don't really care much about the size of the school, but I feel really strongly about having a strong community feel and relatively small class sizes. I am pretty aggressive in getting my points across, have no problem speaking up in class, and understand I may have to seek out connections, but I want accessible professors.

I have decided that riding is really important to me and I want to be riding 6 days a week between team, free rides (which some of my "definite" schools offer), and a possible lease. (I know that there is lots of advice to be had on this topic, but I'm pretty sure that is what I want and I know I can have it at several of the schools on my definite list.)

Anyways, that was longer than I intended. Any final schools to fill out my list a bit further are much appreciated! I am really happy with my list so far, and it fills the niches of reach, middle, and safety-ish, but I figure it could stand to be a bit longer as middle ranges are far from definite (and I'm not sure if I even believe my college counselor on what is a middle range...yikes!) especially since I did some finals this year and thus my senior fall grades might not be as pretty as usual....

Thanks!
    “Don’t ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” -Howard Thurman
    (}---{)

Okay....i could be a bit biased but have you considered Virginia Tech? I saw UVA (also a good school) and W&L and thought another Virginia school might be up for your consideration.

The business school is ranked in the top 50 and they have the 4+1 MBA. The equestrian teams competes in ISHA hunter and western and IDA and there are plenty of hunter/jumper barns around Blacksburg offering leases and free rides. I rode almost daily for 4 years at VT without owning my own horse.

Maybe just a little biased VT, the business school, and riding are right up my alley

Good Luck picking your school. Its an exciting time!

Atlanta is a very horsey place, and a lovely city.

There were only 2 riding facilities directly near Emory-- Little Creek And Vogt's. I believe Little Creek has closed. Vogt's was strictly dressage. If you have a car (and you will need one to get by in Atlanta) there are numerous options in any discipline in several directions. The main horsey area is Alpharetta, but there are nice pockets of areas in other directions with barns too. Costs are (as compared to my Mid-Atlantic experience) just a touch on the cheaper side, but not much. Plenty of A Circuit and quality. Also a very nice, strong local/schooling circuit.

I went to Emory for law school, not undergrad, so someone else might be better able than me to comment on the IHSA team. It's a very good school with good academics. Quite small. I found its size a bit jarring, coming from PSU, it's really a small campus where everyone knows everyone else. Classes are small. Professors are good. I think of it as being especially strong for business and liberal arts, less strong in sciences. But then, the school of medicine is fabulous, so maybe my perceptions are wrong?!

The campus is in a pretty, safe suburb. Within driving distance of the "city" part of Atlanta. The city really has everything to offer, is diverse, and is metropolitan. I absolutely LOVE Atlanta.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

If you want a competitive international studies program and MBA, I would highly, highly recommend the University of Minnesota. We have one of the best business schools in the country (Carlson School of Management) and it has a 97% job placement rate for graduating seniors.

Riding-wise, there are a lot of barns just outside the Twin Cities, and the school has both a western and English IHSA team. Campus is pretty urban depending on which side you're on; most of the campus is in Minneapolis, but there's also a St. Paul campus, which has all the vet med and agriculture stuff.

PM me if you want! I don't know all that much about Carlson, but I do know people in that program and could find out for you.

Emory's team is based out of a barn in Alpharetta. Long drive mileage-wise and Atlanta traffic is horrific.

Yes, yes. Traffic sucks!

I am assuming as a college student, that you would have the sort of schedule that is flexible and allows you to ride during the day and not be on the road during rush hour.

But yes, rush hour traffic in Atlanta is pretty wretched.

Not nearly as soul-killing as say, Philadelphia, DC, or LA... but yes, pretty horrid.
    ~Veronica

I am always looking for a Notre Dame student or two to help me keep my herd exercised! There is a riding team with a very nice new facility, but I'd prefer to steal away someone for my purposes -- I have 3 to ride and they could all use more work. For the right person (a hard-working, dedicated, nice person I enjoyed riding with who would help keep the barn and ring in order), I would consider picking up a project horse as I have some extra stalls.

I would pick a school based on academic fit -- you can make the horse thing work almost anywhere. There are always ammies with farms like me who are looking for a helping hand. If you really want to ride, opportunities are always available.

My brother went to Davidson, was a history major and landed a great job in finance in NYC. He had 3-4 finance job offers as a 2011 graduate.

He loved it.

I struggled to decide between Davidson and W&L. I was accepted at both, but at the time Davidson did not have an IHSA team. I think that they do now. Anne, a poster here (I think that is her screen name), went to Davidson.

Davidson doesn't have sororities, but does have "eating houses," which are decided by a lottery. There are fraternities.

There is a tack shop in downtown Davidson, which is always a good sign. I think that the Davidson area is pretty dressage-heavy, but you are allowed to have a car as a freshman so if you could find a H/J trainer in the area, it wouldn't be too hard to get there. Another bonus is that the school is close to Charlotte, so you've got a major airport, lots of shopping, etc all nearby.

It's worth a visit. Lots of the same "pluses" as W&L -- great faculty, lovely campus. It doesn't have a business major -- it's more of a solidly liberal arts school than W&L -- but it's not hard to get a job in business/finance after graduating from Davidson. They have a great alumni network, lots of on-campus recruiting visits, etc.

And the basketball team is an added bonus!

Also wanted to add that I also looked at and applied to Vandy. Nashville is amazing, but I am a country music fool so I might be a bit biased. I think I decided it was too big for me, and ended up deciding between Davidson and W&L.

Davidson is a really nice area to live, small community, puts a big focus on everything being walk/rideable. And there are some good jumper trainers in the area, some have their own barns, and others will come to you. There are several bigname eventers that give lessons in that area as well.

My sister went to UVA and loved it up there. She much prefered the feel of it over UNCC where she is now. She also found plenty of barns in the area to ride at, and I *think* there are more BNT in hunters around Charlottesville than Davidson.

Both of the towns are small, but you have a little bit faster/closer access to a big city when needed at Davidson than UVA. They both have a good variety of cultural activities, and a lot of Davidson is health oriented, so if you're looking for organic/gluten-free/local grown/etc type stores/resturants you'll have lots of choices!
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Mount Holyoke College!

Thanks everyone! Great suggestions and information, I really appreciate it. Now I probably should turn of my computer and hit the Calculus textbooks .

And Student, I wish I could do it, but I've done the all-girls thing for high school and I think it's time to enter the world where women are the 51% minority (clearly my feminist education has done me well thus far).
    “Don’t ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” -Howard Thurman
    (}---{)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben and Me View Post
    My brother went to Davidson, was a history major and landed a great job in finance in NYC. He had 3-4 finance job offers as a 2011 graduate.

He loved it.

I struggled to decide between Davidson and W&L. I was accepted at both, but at the time Davidson did not have an IHSA team. I think that they do now. Anne, a poster here (I think that is her screen name), went to Davidson.

Davidson doesn't have sororities, but does have "eating houses," which are decided by a lottery. There are fraternities.

There is a tack shop in downtown Davidson, which is always a good sign. I think that the Davidson area is pretty dressage-heavy, but you are allowed to have a car as a freshman so if you could find a H/J trainer in the area, it wouldn't be too hard to get there. Another bonus is that the school is close to Charlotte, so you've got a major airport, lots of shopping, etc all nearby.

It's worth a visit. Lots of the same "pluses" as W&L -- great faculty, lovely campus. It doesn't have a business major -- it's more of a solidly liberal arts school than W&L -- but it's not hard to get a job in business/finance after graduating from Davidson. They have a great alumni network, lots of on-campus recruiting visits, etc.

And the basketball team is an added bonus!
    My daughter attends Davidson. She is not a horsebackrider, but its a great school!!

Bump to add Wake Forest to the list. Thanks!
    (}---{)

Virginia and North Carolina, Parrothead Clique!

I did not go to Davidson but my parents live near there so I'm familiar with the area. I would choose Wake Forest, and ride with Pat and Keith. They would be my choice if you went to Davidson, too, but the commute would be better from Wake Forest.

I would like to add that I am currently riding at W&L and if you want any information, please send me a PM.
    Sarah A. Ward

Washington and Lee University Riding

I live a few miles from Davidson College, I love the area
    Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions!
    ~ Unexpected ~

I'll pipe in about Rice -- I went there for many years for both undergrad and grad school. From an academic standpoint, it sounds like it would be a great fit for what you're looking for. The professors are very accessible, they're always there for office hours and many of them eat lunch and socialize with students. The majority of my classes were <20 people. It is traditionally more of an engineering school, but they have a good public policy program and the Baker Institute is a fantastic resource. Several of my friends were English majors and raved about their creative writing classes. The business school is pretty good and they've definitely made it a priority in recent years, there's now a business minor for undergrads. I really liked Houston, it's not the prettiest place, but the people are wonderful and there's plenty to do.

From a riding standpoint, it's doable, but probably not as easy as other places. The campus is in the city and the nice barns are not, so it'd probably be at least a 30min drive, maybe closer to an hour, depending on what exactly you're looking for. I didn't ride during undergrad and picked it back up during grad school. I know a IHSA team started there recently, but not sure what their status is.

Feel free to PM me if you want any other info

No to Emory if you have concerns about riding well. The farm isn't close to school and if you want to ride with someone who has a respectable reputation I might keep looking.

Quote Originally Posted by xxreddxheaddxx View Post
    No to Emory if you have concerns about riding well. The farm isn't close to school and if you want to ride with someone who has a respectable reputation I might keep looking.
    Really, you don't find there to be one trainer with a respectable reputation in all of Atlanta and its suburbs?!
    ~Veronica