The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up TPR Cuties-MD OTTBs looking for good homes! UPDATE Post 17

I thought I would start a thread to post OTTBs that are looking for good homes through Thoroughbred Placement and Rescue 501(c)3. I volunteer with them and am helping with some of our online advertising. TPR is located in Upper Marlboro, MD and most of our horses are in that general area.

All horses listed by me in this thread will be Giveaways, free to good homes. However, as we survive totally on donations, we do ask for a nominal donation of $150 to TPR if you adopt one of our horses.

We are totally upfront with all information we have on these horses and our number one priority is to find a good match for each one, a home for life. Please visit our website www.goodhorse.org for more info.

So, first up...Midnight Jazz!

Jazz is a sound, intelligent 16.1hh, 8 year old, dark bay Thoroughbred mare with no known vices. She was handed a bad deal upon retirement from her racing career and ended up in the hands of people who didn't care about her. Jazz was picked up by Animal Control wandering the streets of Brandywine with her QH and grade gelding friends. The owner reclaimed the boys but not her, maybe she was the lucky one. She is now in the care of a benevolent foster giver for the SPCA and needs to find a home before too long.

She is elegant, a cute mover and worth rehabilitation for certain. She is thin but healthy. Jazz raced until 2008, didn't win much but is well-bred.

She's free to adopt from PGAC; they require a farm check and adoption agreement which states no eating, breeding, or selling (if you decide you don't like her, she's supposed to go back to them).

Jazz is a bit uncertain of folks at this point, no one has loved her yet. She's turned out by herself, and is in love with the yearling in the next paddock. She was stalled for a week when she first came to her caregiver, and didn't mind that either. She has done absolutely nothing bad, accepted the indoor without much trouble after she realized the pigs in the attached barn weren't going to get her!

Probably needs someone with some time to establish a bond. She's polite when led and handled. My impression is she needs someone with some training skills, intermediate horseman at least, for the start. Her caregiver has not ridden her, but she did longe. Jazz is located in Upper Marlboro, Maryland. Please visit www.goodhorse.org/giveaway.asp for pictures/video and contact info.

Thank you!
    Last edited by echodecker; Apr. 28, 2012 at 01:38 PM.

Just bumping because this story is such a sad one! Hopefully a good home can be found for her.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

"...which states no eating.."

what does this mean?
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Maybe that she is not a free horse to be used as a meal? So sad that "no eating" has to be written into the contract.

Yes, that's it exactly...sad that it has to be included, but it does. This particular horse (as it says above) is owned by the SPCA and we are listing her for them to reach the larger OTTB audience. So this is their particular contract in this instance.

Appreciate the bumps!

More horses coming soon!

Default Found a Home!

Our next lovely TB looking for a new home is...

Scenic Forest!

"Forest" is a 6 year old chestnut (looks bay) Thoroughbred mare who stands 16 hands. She is sound, but is a cribber which is the reason she is FTGH.

She last ran in early May and retired from racing due to being a bleeder. This should not be an issue for any other discipline other than racing and she is not offered for that purpose.

We rehomed her in June, but the placement didn't work out. Her new owner had questionable farrier care and had Forest on pasture board where the other horses were beating her up. This obviously did not work well for her. She lost weight and has had a tough time.

She is now located at a foster home where she is being rehabilitated. We would like to find her a loving home where she will be properly cared for this time.

Forest has a lovely temperament and would make someone a very fine riding horse. She is also nicely bred, so that is an option as well. She is a Kentucky bred by Forest Camp and out of the Scenic mare Second Chorus.

She is located in Harwood, Maryland. Please go to www.goodhorse.org and click on Looking For a Home to see pics and more info.
    Last edited by echodecker; Apr. 28, 2012 at 01:30 PM.

Default FTGH-Kind 4YO TB Gelding-no longer available

And our next contestant in the TPR Cutie Show is....

Kings Ransom!

Unfortunately Kings Ransom's trainer has moved away from Laurel and is not returning attempts to contact him.

Thank you for those who expressed interest in him and sorry for any trouble you dealt with. Please take a look at www.goodhorse.org to see other TBs needing new homes!
    Last edited by echodecker; Jan. 1, 2012 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Horse no longer available

I like Abby - if I was in the market for a horse she'd be on my short list! She looks super laid back in the videos and just my speed as a beginner

Question

I tried to contact several people about King's Ransom (here, on the website and via phone call to the trainer) but no one has been able to give me any additional information. This was a couple of weeks ago.
    Trainer did not return call, and website contact informed me they knew nothing about him and to call trainer...
    Am still interested if he is still available.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Default Re: Kings Ransom

Bearcat, we just got an email from Kim who runs TPR saying to take King's Ransom and another mare down from advertising because apparently the trainer has moved from Laurel and is not returning calls. She has been unable to contact him so we have taken the horses down.

I'm sorry for the trouble you had and I hope that maybe one of TPRs other horses might be appealing to you. I just wanted you to know that we are aware of the problem and not just ignoring it!

Thank you for being interested in adopting an OTTB!

Default Found a Home!

Since someone mentioned Abby in a post above, I thought I'd list her as our next TPR Cutie!

Absolutely Not (great name!)

Abby is a 1987 Thoroughbred mare who was foaled in France, but never raced.

She’s 22 yrs young, sound, in incredible shape, has done dressage, hunter shows and trail rides. Abby is still being ridden and has been ridden in both Western and English tack.

She has no health issues, but does have some scarring on her right hind leg from an old injury that left proud flesh. She has a brand on her left shoulder with the letters MW. We’ve been unable to read her tattoo.

She has a lovely, sweet demeanor and would make a wonderful addition to your family as a dependable riding/trail horse.

Abby is located in West River, Maryland. Please go to www.goodhorse.org/giveaway.asp for more pictures/videos and contact information.
    Last edited by echodecker; Apr. 28, 2012 at 01:31 PM.

She looks quite cute, but unless arithmetic is working differently this year, a horse born in 1987 is 25 years old this year, not 22. ??
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Bump - hope they all find forever person!
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

Fannie Maehem is suppposed to be unsound with navicular. Also I read that it is not a good idea to nerve a horse for riding since they have no feeling in that hoof. Fannie has a really nice black type pedigree. Her dam is a stakes winning stakes producing sister to #1 Texas sire Valid Expectations. She would be a good broodmare for race babies.
    Last edited by Pristine; Jan. 5, 2012 at 11:36 AM.

Default FTGH-Beautiful, Sound, Black, 16.1hh Gelding!

OK, after a brief break, I am back with another TPR Cutie!

This is a SERIOUS find! Pretty, Black, Sound and over 16 hands! And did I mention Free?!

Outquest or "Spidey" as he is called is a 5 year old, black, home bred Thoroughbred Gelding. He's been owned and trained by the same owner/trainer family for his entire racing career. He's not had any injuries and retires sound, he just doesn't want to race.

He is currently being let down at the track and has been out of training since 3/23/2012.

Spidey is NOT a cribber, kicker or biter. Definitely not the Alpha horse. His owners had him home over the summer last year at their farm and he was an easy horse with their old welsh pony. Spidey was very much a pleasure.

He is a big 16.1 hand, beautiful intelligent gelding. His coat is like his mother’s - silky and black looking even in winter.

He is one of the easier horses to ride and train at the track. He is a nice mover and a really nice horse in general. His current owner states "I will tell you he (like my others) is a spoiled camper but I raise them all so blame that one on me…"

Spidey is located at Laurel Park in Laurel, Maryland. Please go to www.goodhorse.org/looking_for_a_home.html for pictures and contact info.
    Last edited by echodecker; Apr. 28, 2012 at 01:33 PM.

I also wanted to give some updates on our previous Cuties

Abby, Fannie Mayhem and Midnight Jazz have all found homes-thank you to all who showed interest!

Scenic Forest is still available, putting on weight and looking great! We also have several more FTGH horses on the website, as well as adoptable ones both on and off the track.

www.goodhorse.org

ETA: Scenic Forest has now found a home! Thanks to anyone on here who may have helped!
    Last edited by echodecker; Apr. 28, 2012 at 01:36 PM.

Default FTGH-Jumping Bean! 4YO Dark Bay Filly

And we have another Great Find Free to a Good Home!

Dizzy Lizzy! Sound, pretty, sweet, nice jumper! Her only flaw is that she is under 16 hands!

Lizzy is a dark bay 4 year old registered Thoroughbred filly who raced ten time and won only one race. She is adorable, compact and well balanced, standing 15.3 hands. After that it was decided she should be retired to a new job since the odds were she would not be competitive within the ranks of winners. Bad for her racing connections and good for the show world.

Since arriving at Leighton Farm Lizzy has shown the desire to please the humans who work with her both on the ground and when being ridden. She has taken this new life in stride and made lots of progress in a very short amount of time. She has shown an aptitude for jumping that is no surprise when you look at her conformation.

Lizzy has no soundness issues or vices. She is a very nice mover and has a lovely temperament.

She is now Free to a Good Home and is located at Leighton Farm in Upper Marlboro, Maryland. Please go to www.goodhorse.org/looking_for_a_home.html for pics, video and contact info.

Default FTGH-Grand TB Broodmare

One more today...I'm watching Rolex and have some time in front of the computer!

Premier Racier-Broodmare Extraordinaire!

Premier Racier is a quality, bay Thoroughbred mare who is now 18 years old. She stands 15.3 hand and has been a broodmare for the last 15 years since she was retired from racing.

She gets along well with other mares and is an easy keeper but needs to wear shoes if she's going to be ridden.

She loves mints and carrots, is very sweet with people and is a pretty mover.

Premier Racier is located at Summer Wind Farm near Libertytown, Maryland. Please go to www.goodhorse.org/Looking_For_A_Home.html for pics and contact info.

Default ?

what are the grounds for placing a horse? im interested in Lizzy

All the information you need for adopting a horse from TPR is on our website

www.goodhorse.org

We have an application for potential adopters and require references (which we do check) for anyone interested in one of our horses. You can be pre-approved and don't need a specific horse in mind for approval.

It's a good idea to get pre-approved because our horses often move very fast and we won't hold up placing a horse in a good approved home so someone else can get their references together.

We require a signed Transfer of Authority for adoption, whether free or for a price, but the horse is yours free and clear. The only stipulation in our TOA is that the horse cannot end up at an auction. If you need to rehome the horse FOR ANY REASON you can call us and we'll work to help you find a new home.

As I said before, our horses move fast, and Dizzy Lizzy has already found a home. Please take a look at our website to find other available horses and thank you for being interested in an OTTB!