The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jumping/ Eventing stallions for 2012

Hi, I am looking to breed my 14.1 hand sport pony mare this upcoming season. My trainer recommends a bigger type stallion (16.2 plus hands). I would prefer a jumping or eventing stallion, but I would take a dressage stallion known to produce jumping or eventing foals. My mare needs to have an uphill horse, with big movement. I am considering Fackeltonz, but I would like more of a jumping stallion. Any suggestions?
    Thanks so much.

BTW I forgot to mention I would like the stallion to be registered with ISR or Oldenburg horse breeders society.

Bravo is available for your consideration! 46.28% xx/ox blood. http://www.horsetelex.com/pedigree.php?horseid=458520

Currently competing in eventing. Completed Prelim and now moving up to CCI* and ** for 2012 under Kerry Johnston and in training with Therese Washtock, an olympic competitor.

Numerous site champion, premium and show winning offspring on the ground.

16.2 and lifetime approved with both GOV (Oldenburg Verband) and ISR/OLS NA.

Dressage - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa93ckrdGmI

Stadium- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmbCl2-UUuM

Cross Country- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk55w3MLZBw
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	314836_271561269542489_100000658542755_897429_2011426071_n.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	34585   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-09-12-22_11_59-1024x768.jpg 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	34586   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13243-ID_28.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	34587   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	296544_251087668256516_100000658542755_828041_1232748_n.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	34588   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	br382717_2565300504581_1616203109_2404694_1709961821_n.jpg 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	34589  

Last edited by misita; Dec. 30, 2011 at 10:19 AM.
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

You may want to look at Titulus, he is a Trakehner but approved Oldenburg, BWP, as well. He is out of world class eventing lines, and had 2 sons represent him at the German championships, one won a class there. He is currently showing jumpers with a amateur. He is a gorgeous mover, and has a wonderful temperament.
    Nancy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	500_Titulus30.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	34597   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	511_titulus.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	34598  
    Home of Ironman: GOV, BWP, RPSI, CSHA, AWR, ISR Oldenburg, CWHBA, CSHA, CS, and PHR.
    www.ironmanonline.com

Where does Titulus stand?

just a thought.
    I had asked about breeding a QH mare a few months back and I received some good advice (I think it was good!) about breeding and size.

The breeding forum cautioned me against picked a stallion that was big.

The mare is 15.2 and the stallion in question was 17h.

I was actually told that it's not a great idea.

what about stallions like Coconut Grove or Shine. They are both very nice and smaller.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Purplnurpl:
    Re: breeding small mares to taller stallions... It's a matter of opinions and personnal experiences. I personnaly bred 3 times my 15hh hanoverian x arabian mare (http://www.autumnsstables.com/img/arabel_03.jpg) to a 17.1 holsteiner stallion and never had any problems with foaling. The mare was popping these babies out in less than the time I had to wake up DH. (I'm kidding but it was easy foalings and no complications whatsoever). The first filly ended up at 15.3-16hh. The second one stopped growing at 14.3hh (!!!!) and the 3rd one is on her way to make her 16h+ (http://www.autumnsstables.com/img/amandine_03.jpg).

I don't think it's the size of the mare (height) that is to be worried about. It is more of her frame. Large framed mare vs tiny framed mare. My mare was an large framed mare and I was always joking that she was a 16hh mare lacking 4 inches of legs!! She was at least 1000 pounds, wearing size 1 shoes and the same girth than my 16H3 mare with medium-large tree on her saddle. I would'nt have bred a mare of the same height but 700 pounds, tiny arabian like mare to that stallion...

To the OP: You will find people who will tell you do not breed to too tall stallions it's dangerous, and others, like me, who did it several times without any problems. But it's your mare, you get to choose if you want to try it or not. Good luck with your search for a stallion for her!
    Last edited by Spike; Dec. 29, 2011 at 03:09 PM.
    Les Écuries d'Automne, Québec, Canada
    Visit EdA's Facebook page!

We have several stallions that might suit your purpose. They are listed in this recent article from Select Breeders Service. http://selectbreeders.com/news/86
    Good luck with your search!
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Purplnurpl:
    Re: breeding small mares to taller stallions... It's a matter of opinions and personnal experiences. I personnaly bred 3 times my 15hh hanoverian x arabian mare to a 17.1 holsteiner stallion and never had any problems with foaling. The mare was popping these babies out in less than the time I had to wake up DH. (I'm kidding but it was easy foalings and no complications whatsoever). The first filly ended up at 15.3-16hh. The second one stopped growing at 14.3hh (!!!!) and the 3rd one is on her way to make her 16h+.

I don't think it's the size of the mare (height) that is to be worried about. It is more of her frame. Large framed mare vs tiny framed mare. My mare was an large framed mare and I was always joking that she was a 16hh mare lacking 4 inches of legs!! She was at least 1000 pounds, wearing size 1 shoes and the same girth than my 16H3 mare with medium-large tree on her saddle. I would'nt have bred a mare of the same height but 700 pounds, tiny arabian like mare to that stallion...

To the OP: You will find people who will tell you do not breed to too tall stallions it's dangerous, and others, like me, who did it several times without any problems. But it's your mare, you get to choose if you want to try it or not. Good luck with your search for a stallion for her!
    I would be more conservative with her first foal, but then, I have had to deal first hand with shoulder lock...and this with a BIG mare.
    ETA: It did not end well.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Purplnurpl:
    Re: breeding small mares to taller stallions... It's a matter of opinions and personnal experiences. I personnaly bred 3 times my 15hh hanoverian x arabian mare to a 17.1 holsteiner stallion and never had any problems with foaling. The mare was popping these babies out in less than the time I had to wake up DH. (I'm kidding but it was easy foalings and no complications whatsoever). The first filly ended up at 15.3-16hh. The second one stopped growing at 14.3hh (!!!!) and the 3rd one is on her way to make her 16h+.

this was exactly what people stressed.
    Breeding a nice big boy to a pretty refined QH and it was stressed that the result might end up being put together with spare parts. : )
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

this was exactly what people stressed.
    Breeding a nice big boy to a pretty refined QH and it was stressed that the result might end up being put together with spare parts. : )
    Indeed. Breeding two individuals with too much genetics disparities can be a real gamble.
    Les Écuries d'Automne, Québec, Canada
    Visit EdA's Facebook page!

Titulus is currently standing at my farm, Crossroads. Both fresh and frozen.
    nsm
    Home of Ironman: GOV, BWP, RPSI, CSHA, AWR, ISR Oldenburg, CWHBA, CSHA, CS, and PHR.
    www.ironmanonline.com

Default Great experiences

My stallion, Lotus T, has been bred to several smaller mares (from 14H arabians to 14.3H quarterhorses), without a problem - even though he is 17.2H. I also had several ET babies by two 17.2H+ parents, carried by 14.2-15H recip mares, without a problem (and with the foals growing up to be 17.2H+. I also had distocias with tragic endings when big mares were bred to smaller stallions.

There have been several discussions on breeding small mares to big stallions. Science tells us that the size of the newborn equine is determined by the size of the mare's uterus.

I think it's much more important to keep in mind what you are looking for. If you want a taller offspring, breed to a stallion, who has a HISTORY of consistently producing (out of similar mares) what you want.

Please check out the article on Titulus wriiten in Germany, I just started a new thread about it.
    nsm
    www.ironmanonline.com