The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pictures of my lesson yesterday (12/4/11)

I had posted a thread a couple weeks ago about needing a pep talk. I have finally gotten some pics of my in a lesson with Frodo and my trainer. The things I want to work most on is: looking up, my stupid pain in the patootie left leg, more engagement (but that is something we are working on), and relaxing with my hips. There are more things, but these are my main things at the moment. I have to be more correct in order for him to be able to do what he needs to do. This is mostly collected work.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...do/frodo37.jpg
    http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...do/frodo60.jpg
    http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...do/frodo55.jpg
    http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...do/frodo50.jpg
    I just think he looks so cute in this picture.
    Leg yield at the walk, an important part of my warm-up as it gets ME more active as a rider, and more on my seat.
    http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...do/frodo12.jpg
    http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...do/frodo24.jpg

Stay tuned for the spook sequence, it is as close to dressage bloopers as I have on "film" because I take myself way too seriously.
    Last edited by Bugs-n-Frodo; Dec. 5, 2011 at 11:57 PM.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

Here is a simple exercise that may help.

Sitting trot without stirrups (pull your leathers out about six inches, flip them over the withers and then tuck them tight and flat under the stirrup bar flaps so there isn't a *knot*, under your upper thigh, but it is smooth). While trotting take the reins in one hand, take your other hand and pretend it is a gun and you are going to be shooting at a target ... pick a target (ie. the top of a particular fence post or a tree limb or a window on the barn ... whatever) .... trot a circle and keep on that circle ... aim at your *target*, follow that target all the way through the circle ... turn your head and keep following.

Practice this both directions, three or four circles each way.

Do this a few times every hour.

Do this at least several times a week.

He sure is beautiful. No wonder you're always looking at him.

He's using himself nicely. Congrats
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

You are riding in a position called a "forked" seat, which means your pelvis is tipped forward and you have taken your upper body behind vertical in compensation. This forces your horse into an overbent position since your shoulders being back so far shorten the reins by too great a degree. It also has your leg-yield going very slowly rather than in the time of a medium walk. I think part of the problem is that your stirrup leathers are hung too far forward on the saddle's tree. Try working without stirrups, at least for your initial warm up in the walk...leg yield included. Be sure to keep your toes elevated as they should be if resting in your stirrups. Try to keep the walk's tempo correct for a medium walk. After about five minutes of this, try putting your feet back into the stirrups, and as you do this, pay attention to how it feels as you move your leg forward in the hipsocket. I think you will feel that you really need to take the whole leg forward to find the stirrups, when in actuality, you should be able to just lift your toes to regain the stirrups. The only help for an incorrect stirrup placement is to shorten the stirrups somewhat...not a perfect solution, but the only one unless you can have your stirrup bars lengthened to get the leathers to hang farther back.

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    He sure is beautiful. No wonder you're always looking at him.
    That is what I always say too. Nobody really buys that though. And, actually it is pretty close to the truth.

I know we have a long way to go, but we have been working very hard this year and we have made tons of improvements, IMO. I forgot to read the small print in the dressage brochure where it says it is not easy and requires a lot of work.
    Last edited by Bugs-n-Frodo; Dec. 6, 2011 at 10:02 AM.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    My Facebook

Funny boy! I actually liked your position best in the "blooper" pix. Who's your trainer?

Her name is Beate Muller, she teaches and rides part-time, she very good.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    My Facebook

He's gorgeous! But, I have to admit, when I saw the name Frodo, I pictured him to be a lot smaller and fuzzier

Lovely photos!

I wish I could see some video I wanna see this guy move!'

Niennor, Most people do, in fact, he is 16.3h +. LOL And he does not have hairy feet but he does believe in breakfast 1, breakfast 2, lunch, supper and dinner.

Nom, thank you. Video shortly, my trainer will be taking that.

He is a patient soul and since I delivered him, started him and have done all of his training, we have quite a close relationship... 'cept, he knows me too well, sometimes. LOL
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    My Facebook

Amy - you should be so proud of yourself!!! Frodo turned out really, really well!
    Congratulations!
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Quote Originally Posted by angel View Post

1) You are riding in a position called a "forked" seat, which means your pelvis is tipped forward and you have taken your upper body behind vertical in compensation.

2) Be sure to keep your toes elevated as they should be if resting in your stirrups.
    1) I saw the same thing. A slight hollowing of the lower back causing what appears in the photos as some stiffness. Getting your head up will help, too. Re-education of muscle memory in the core will help. I have my riders overcompensate my rolling the pelvis way back and swing with the movement until they release their core.

Other than that, you are a lovely pair! He seems very happy in his work, which is a tribute to you and your trainer. Keep up the good work!

2) This I don't encourage. Pulling your toes up creates tension in the leg defeating the development of the softness and balance. There is a difference between toes up and heels down. Heels down is allowing your weight to flow down your legs (like filling a water balloon) past where the stirrup is and the stirrup holds up the toes.

I do have a stiffness issue and it is something I work on constantly. Some of the pictures I saw from this lesson did point out some issues that I know I need to work, so I am very glad my friend took them. We do not have mirrors so it is good to see what is going on. Sometimes I think I am doing one thing with my body only to find out that I am not, my left leg being an example. The stiffness in my lower back (probably me guarding due to a previous injury) is another example. I did work on some of that in my early morning ride this morning and will continue to work on it. Thank you all for your advice and nice comments. While we are certainly not perfect, we work very hard and I am extremely grateful to have this opportunity.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    My Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by siegi b. View Post
    Amy - you should be so proud of yourself!!! Frodo turned out really, really well!
    Congratulations!
    Thank you Siegi!
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    My Facebook

A lovely, lovely horse, and you fit him well! My favorite pic the the first one listed--you both look so light and happy and harmonious. I look forward to video!

Great pics!

What kind of saddle are you using? In terms of fit does your boy have high withers?

Thanks!

I do not consider them high, I consider them more average, I guess, his mom, the TB half, did not have shark fin withers so many TB's have. The saddle is a County Perfection, it is a wide but has been fitted to him... as a matter of fact, this reminds me that I need my fitter to come back out after Christmas and check it again.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    My Facebook