The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Okay, I had it backwards. Imagine that.

Doesn't the HSUS pay it's head honcho really big bucks too?

Wonder if I could get a seat on some board...

well, if they do the work.
    For the unwashed masses 100k is a heap of a lot of money.
    In the echelons of CEO-ness, it's pittance. meaning, the chair people are supposed to do work for the organization, put their face out for the recognition of the group.
    In the private sector these people - assuming they are not the brother/mother/cousin of the president and founder - can commend a multiple in salaries. And just because you are not-for-profit you don't want to settle for brother/mother/cousin because they work for free. (Comen though is another kettle of fish....)

the HSUS salaries though...posh. Considering that they don't really do anything but count money and talk out of both sides of the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Okay, I had it backwards. Imagine that.

Doesn't the HSUS pay it's head honcho really big bucks too?

Wonder if I could get a seat on some board...
    Most of the time, board members aren't paid. They're supposed to be the governing body that keeps the rescue on track, keeps the rescue from going insane, keeps the rescue financially viable.

Which means you have to be very careful when recruiting to the board that you don't bring people on who want to shift your focus or mission.

You are right, head of HSUS does make a pretty nice salary.....
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

The HSUS salaries, for executives running such a rich non-profit, are large, but not outrageous for the kind of millions and other resources they handle.
    What makes those positions cushy is the benefits that go along with the salaries, paid expenses, like the CEO jetsetting all over Europe, to "coordinate" animal rights push drives there, paid expenses and pensions and all that.
    Now, ethically, as a non-profit, are they getting too rich a compensation from donations supposed to go to care for animals, according to their propaganda?

I think it was Sonesta that provided us with this funny video about the HSUS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTrhQ...ature=youtu.be

The big rich organizations have the money to fund raise and it seems that's what they do best. I prefer to work with small local organizations where I can see where the money goes and I can see them in action and the results. Even if it's not local if I get to know the people and get to see how the money is spent and I don't think it's wasted I'm ok with that. But the poorer organizations can't afford to fund raise because that takes money.

I have a short list of organizations that I support and they are only those that I know well and trust that do hands on helping and not so much if any payroll.

I prefer to donate to the small, local organizations as well. I feel that my dollar has more of an impact. I like the work that Days End Farm Horse Rescue does, but I do realize of course, there are those on this board who are not DEFHR fans. I think it comes down to individual choice and finding one that has the same mindset as you. For me, there are some that are so violently anti-slaughter, I just don't feel I could support them. Doesn't mean they are wrong, or I am wrong, just means we differ in philosophy.

PS - I rescued? (well, bought is a better term) a nice thoroughbred horse through Camelot Horse Weekly in December of 2010. He's fantastic and was just champion at the Lexington Spring Premiere horse show in the Baby Greens and got some nice ribbons in good company down at HITS in Ocala.

I have no idea why I just posted that - I guess my point was that auctions are risky, but sometimes one can find a diamond in the rough! I am sure others have similar and even better stories.

my vet has free cats every week.

Quote Originally Posted by feather river View Post
    my vet has free cats every week.
    I can give you free horses every week.

How about a BOGO deal for $0?

There isn't a perfect rescue out there. Like others have said... you find one that you can get involved with that meets your philosophy/morals.

I personally like the concept of GFAS verification at minimum.

Adoption requirements are almost entirely based on founder/board's past experiences. If you are curious to know the why's- ask them. For most rescues there is some margin of flexibility depending on the situation.

I know of one rescue (NOT the one in my siggy) in particular that does not like the term "job" when applied to a horse's adoptability. Their perspective, which I don't agree with but deeply respect, is that the horses have gone through enough crap in their lives that adopters should be homes that have the concept of lifetime companion/family member as their philosophy. Adoption fees are low and they are very VERY successful in placing horses.

And I know it's fun sport to drag in HSUS- which is a different ballgame than the horse rescues we are discussing. Their paid executives bring in the dough and have the connections to further the mission. Agree or not agree with the mission is a seperate discussion.

I think HSUS is more about legislation and lobbying than actual rescuing, but I would defer to those with more expertise in this area. SuperSTB - I LOVE TIER!! I have supported her since about 2000 - isn't she super?

Quote Originally Posted by CruisingforGold View Post
    I think HSUS is more about legislation and lobbying than actual rescuing, but I would defer to those with more expertise in this area.

It does seem like HSUS is PETA with suits.

However, the more or less hidden agenda and mission, the CEOS and BoDs do follow the direction and thus earn their keep.

That I find their direction despicable is a whole nudder kettle of fish!

I think HSUS is more about legislation and lobbying than actual rescuing, but I would defer to those with more expertise in this area. SuperSTB - I LOVE TIER!! I have supported her since about 2000 - isn't she super?
    Thank you so much for supporting TIER. I wouldn't have stuck around if I didn't think TIER wasn't so AWESOME! Gail and all the volunteers are just incredible. I foster, haul, and try to help out in as much as possible for them. I also coordinate the Riverside County Horse Coalition which TIER is a part of- very noble efforts with a huge undertaking when it comes to the issues facing the county and surrounding communities. I just love working with the other rescues involved, veterinarians, volunteers, humane societies, and yes even county animal services.

So many horses in need... I mean you should see some of these cases. God, I wish I could make the rescue bashers see how incredibly difficult it is. How thankless, tiring, back breaking, and NO the money just doesn't fly in to support the horses despite the pleas. For every one case that gets spotlighted to HOPEFULLY raise funds which is often times not enough to cover that horse's rehab- there are dozens of horses in equally dire or worse situations that need helps. It's depressing actually- knowing the limitations of what you can and can't do.

I think some rescues are reasonable, but I have personal experience with some that are not.

It's very easier to play holier than thou and force one style of animal management on another person in the name of "rescue".

Craigslist. Mine here seems to be one big rescue listing.

(I say that with all affection. I just bought a lovely, lovely unbroke sport horse that was on one hand an underfed backyard breeding nightmare and on the other, is becoming my dream horse.)
    At all times, we are either training or untraining.
    Flying Haflinger blog: http://flyinghaflinger.blogspot.com/ Flying Irish Draught blog: http://flyingirishredhead.blogspot.com/

It's true that there are some bad rescues and it makes the work and trust so much harder while they take money from trusting donors and the people that really deserve the help are begging for help and support. Not enough money or volunteers. I hate seeing some exploit the compassion for the horses or any animal while leaving the good rescues without getting the donations and support. That's why I would like to see people be very careful about giving but please when you find one worthy of support, please help them.

ok, had some friends down for Rolex. Went through a rescue org at the HP (not naming names), but only AFTER my friend was approved did they tell her that the OTTBs were $4500-$10000. She looked at one of the lowest priced ones and for her $4500 she would get a 9yr old that had only been off of the track for 90-120 days. THe horses were beautiful, however, Canter has lovely OTTBs for less than 1/2 of that.

THat being said, I am a RVT, LVT with my own farm. I was turned down by TWO Doberman rescues. One because I refused to fence my entire property (not just the back yard, but the 25 acre hay field as well) and the other because I have children! Heaven Forbid!

I have seen rescue contracts that I would never pass lol, most horse contracts frown on the fact that I breed Oldenburgs (cause all breeders are evil right)!
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Speaking from the experiences of a small animal vet who has worked with countless rescues, most of them are truly hoarders. I get so frustrated donating so much of my time trying to help them, only to find that they run up huge bills at my clinic and don't pay and move on to the next unsuspecting clinic.

Quote Originally Posted by spotmenow View Post
    So, we are looking for a pony to keep our vision-impaired mare company. No hurry, but looking diligently. I THOUGHT, in this crappy economy, that this search would be rather bountiful...not looking for a young, useful pony but a retired one that might not have too many options left.
    check out the give aways on COTH.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Horse Farm View Post
    ok, had some friends down for Rolex. Went through a rescue org at the HP (not naming names), but only AFTER my friend was approved did they tell her that the OTTBs were $4500-$10000. She looked at one of the lowest priced ones and for her $4500 she would get a 9yr old that had only been off of the track for 90-120 days. THe horses were beautiful, however, Canter has lovely OTTBs for less than 1/2 of that.

THat being said, I am a RVT, LVT with my own farm. I was turned down by TWO Doberman rescues. One because I refused to fence my entire property (not just the back yard, but the 25 acre hay field as well) and the other because I have children! Heaven Forbid!

I have seen rescue contracts that I would never pass lol, most horse contracts frown on the fact that I breed Oldenburgs (cause all breeders are evil right)!
    LOL you don't have to name the rescue most could guess... I fostered a horse for them and they got over 10k for him... and they were askin 3500 for the mare I got and they had never sat on her!
    MIDWAY SOCCER 08' First Season!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerandharriet View Post
    LOL you don't have to name the rescue most could guess... I fostered a horse for them and they got over 10k for him... and they were askin 3500 for the mare I got and they had never sat on her!
    Yes, that is the flagship for the rescue that's in the news in NY again. Being sued by the OAG who is trying to remove the board.

New Vocations in Lexington has adoption fees below $1K...many around $500. Adoption converts to ownership after one year. Many, many nice horses and they're let down, and evaluated, ridden and hacked out. I guess the in the KY HP case, it's location, location, location.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

We don't all have to support the same rescue and have the same ideals but you made some very good points about smaller and local rescues that you can visit and see what they are doing. If you like what they are doing then that is who you should support and adopting is a great way to help out. It looks like a win win win for you, the horse and the rescue. Congratulations on your win in the ring and in your heart.

I prefer to donate to the small, local organizations as well. I feel that my dollar has more of an impact. I like the work that Days End Farm Horse Rescue does, but I do realize of course, there are those on this board who are not DEFHR fans. I think it comes down to individual choice and finding one that has the same mindset as you. For me, there are some that are so violently anti-slaughter, I just don't feel I could support them. Doesn't mean they are wrong, or I am wrong, just means we differ in philosophy.

PS - I rescued? (well, bought is a better term) a nice thoroughbred horse through Camelot Horse Weekly in December of 2010. He's fantastic and was just champion at the Lexington Spring Premiere horse show in the Baby Greens and got some nice ribbons in good company down at HITS in Ocala.

I have no idea why I just posted that - I guess my point was that auctions are risky, but sometimes one can find a diamond in the rough! I am sure others have similar and even better stories.

The best thing you can do for "rescue" as a community is criticize, publicize and shut down the bad ones. Aggressively. Like all small groups presented with the choice of exposing or protecting the sins of their own, however, rescue frequently chooses to circle the wagons and criticize others. It's PETA! It's HUSA! It's ARA! It's bad owners! It's irresponsible bybs! It's never us! And then when there's a big, fat local news at 5 story with sober reporters and rotting bodies and skeletal animals, the rescue world whines that they're being misrepresented.