The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stephen Bradley Clinic

Short video of the stadium work at the Stephen Bradley clinic held a Spring Run Farm in Louisville this past weekend. That man is first class. Positive, encouraging and able to keep things challenging but not overwhelming. I've still got a lot of stadium warts to work on, I wish I could fold better over the fences and not stand up so much in my stirrups, and I wish I could stop getting ahead! etc,etc. Overall it's not the prettiest, but it also gives you an idea of Stephens positive teaching style.http://youtu.be/kHk_xGFieF0

Nice! There's talk of him coming to Indiana (maybe) for a clinic next year. I've heard wonderful things about him and would like to ride with him....hope he's not scheduled on top of other clinics, LAZ's camp, etc. Thanks for sharing the video.
    "If ever I did not have a horse or dog in my keeping, I should feel I had lost touch with the earth." ~Beryl Markham

thanks for sharing. I love Stephen's clinics and now my daughter is raving about him. she loved how positive he was (her horse is difficult at best) and she loved how many "tools" he has in his "toolbox" to solve problems.

My daughter loved the clinic once again! Lots to learn and very positive.

Hey Riderboy, you were in my group! Great job last weekend!
    Sarah

I attended a clinic put on by Stephen back in..oh..'98 if I remember right? in southern NJ..

The man was awesome and was so polite, encouraging, but challenging to me (at the time, a 15 year old). One of my most fond memories of growing up eventing was riding a gymnastic with him at the clinic, where he kept upping the final fence til it was absolutely huge...a crowd of boarders at the facility was watching and everytime he'd raise the bar, they'd all gasp....at the end of the clinic, this fifteen year old kiddo was getting backslaps from the adults and was walking on cloud nine.

Quote Originally Posted by SayAngel View Post
    Hey Riderboy, you were in my group! Great job last weekend!
    Sarah
    You did a fabulous job on your boy! Glad the weather held off, that was close.

Thanks for sharing! He is on my list of clinicians I'd love to ride with. FWIW, I like the fact that you don't fold too much over fences, your position seems quite secure and a tall upper body in the air is nothing to be ashamed of!

AEM-please keep us updated if Stephen does end up coming to Indiana!

Default Riderboy

Nice job, nice horse.

If you really want to stop standing up and jumping ahead, start riding without.... wait for it.... nope, not your stirrups. Ride bareback for a couple of weeks, over some low grids. Maybe not with your horse. You will get way less reliant on those stirrups that way.

The version of how to get that snuggled in seat over fences is a little "adult" for this forum, and would be an easier description if you were "Rider Girl", but it will come to you.

I didn't think you were jumping ahead much at all, your timing is good. Set up a low grid, and imagine that your legs and thighs are just sacks of wet sand, weighting you into the saddle. Your horse has enough jump to allow you to slide your rump back in the saddle, thereby "folding' as he jumps. Wofford's book describes it perfectly.

You two look like you're going to be a formidable pair on XC this year. Good luck.

I met Stephen this fall when I volunteered at T3DE and I was very impressed with his friendliness, professionalism, helpfulness, and just general good nature and approachability. It looks like he is the same way in the arena. I thought you did not get very far ahead at all and looked balanced and defensive, maybe just a little tight in the body, but good! I miss the big jumps, I hope I get to meet them again!

That clinic was hosted right around the corner from the barn I board at. I am not an evener (yet) but I ride at an event barn and am fascinated with it. Just not brave enough to actually do it... Solo anyways... I have been XC schooling many times.

You looked to go me. You seem to have a secure seat IMO but I am no expert. Looks like you had a good time! Thanks for sharing!
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

I'm always reminded of Denny's story of looking at Michael Plumb's position over fences, and his beautiful "fold" and tight seat. I know what I want to look like, now I just have to work on it-some more!

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    I'm always reminded of Denny's story of looking at Michael Plumb's position over fences, and his beautiful "fold" and tight seat. I know what I want to look like, now I just have to work on it-some more!
    I know the feeling.... I know what I should look/feel like but the whole mind telling the body thing.... well, the body doesn't always comply!

I think you looked pretty good in your upper body. That's not what stood out to me. What I noticed is that your stirrup is more in "home" position. Like for XC. Maybe if you put it more on the ball of your foot, that would help you sink down in your heels more and help w/ the fold? So you aren't standing up in your stirrups? Just a thought.

Ah, eventing, where men discuss the "tight seat" of other men and no one giggles. Except now I'm giggling.

Bahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    Ah, eventing, where men discuss the "tight seat" of other men and no one giggles. Except now I'm giggling.
    Good one. Now I'm giggling too.
    "If ever I did not have a horse or dog in my keeping, I should feel I had lost touch with the earth." ~Beryl Markham

I had my first lesson with him yesterday, and it was SO great!

I don't have a horse of my own, so I emailed him asking about lessons, thinking it was a long shot. He said he thought he could find someone I could ride, so I drove out yesterday, super excited and nervous.

Well when I got there, they told me that I was riding Leyland!
    I was totally star struck, and it was the best ride I've ever had!

Stephen was an awesome teacher, super encouraging and supportive, while at the same time being really attentive to details.
    Leyland was a great teacher too

1 members found this post helpful.

What a great video, thanks for sharing! I thought you did super. I find I have the opposite problem (over folding), so I find myself trying desperately to replicate the style of the famous "underfolders" like WFP.

You are going to have an awesome 2012 season.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    Short video of the stadium work at the Stephen Bradley clinic held a Spring Run Farm in Louisville this past weekend. That man is first class. Positive, encouraging and able to keep things challenging but not overwhelming. I've still got a lot of stadium warts to work on, I wish I could fold better over the fences and not stand up so much in my stirrups, and I wish I could stop getting ahead! etc,etc. Overall it's not the prettiest, but it also gives you an idea of Stephens positive teaching style.http://youtu.be/kHk_xGFieF0
    Thanks for posting this! I have to chose between driving almost 2 hours to a Wofford clinic at Waredaca, MD tomorrow, or a Stephen Bradley clinic about a half hour away in VA. I've sat in/audited several clinics with Jimmy, but have never seen Stephen teach before. (I'm not riding, just auditing--I just started a lease on a horse two months ago, haven't been able to ride much and don't feel I know him enough yet, nor do I feel secure enough yet in my seat to do a clinic with EITHER Stephen or Jimmy, yet. I'm a BN/N). Your video clip was really helpful to give me an idea of his comments/teaching style. While a devotee to the church of Wofford, I'm going to attend Stephen's clinic. Hopefully I can ride with him at the end of the summer. Thanks again, great video and good job in the clinic!
    “Always saddle your own horse. Always know what you’re doing. And go in the direction you are heading.” Connie Reeves
    Jump Start Solutions LLC

Thank you for posting and reviving the post! I'll be riding with him some during LAZ's clinic next month & haven't been able to find many resources to prepare - I like to "study" up as much as possible to get the most out of my time. Thank you!!