The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How can this be happening again? Sinus Infection

My new TB had some snot out of his nose this past week so the vet came out today and diagnosed a sinus infection. He got Gentocyn and SMZ's to see if we can knock it out.

The monkey wrenches in this little scenario?

I just had bowel surgery last Wednesday. I got out of the hospital yesterday. I can barely walk, let alone care for a horse. Now I have to figure out how I'm going to manage giving injections and sliming him with SMZs.

I had this happen to my last horse, about 5 years ago. It got to the point that she had to have sinus surgery, drill the hole, and then for 2 months after, I had to flush the cavity daily, give IM injections, and SMZs. It was hell.

I am SO not in a place to do this. My husband is non-horsey and he tolerates this, but he is NOT going to be thrilled at the prospect of this.

Has anyone been successful with antibiotics in this situation, and not had to have the surgery? The surgery is like $2000, another thing I am not really prepared to do right now.

Sorry that things are piling up on you.

$2000 sounds like a lot for sinus surgery. I've had this done on a TB mare. It was done standing, sedated, of course, in the barn aisle. Messy, messy. I can't look at pea soup without thinking of that surgery. But the mare felt so much better afterward! After-care was much as you described. The surgery didn't cost me anywhere near that amount. Mind you, it was 30+ years ago, but prices can't have gone up that much....

Sinus infections are notoriously difficult to get rid of. Have you tried grinding up the pills, and dousing them with molasses? Most horses will eat anything, given sufficient molasses to cover the taste. At least mine will.

Best wishes and good luck!

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I ground the pills up this morning and mixed with applesauce and dosed him, he hated it but got it all in this time. Only 30 more times i have to do it!

Yes, in this area, its that much. Granted, they do it with anesthesia in the clinic, so thats surely what is costing more.

I'm going to cross that bridge when I get to it, I guess. Hoping the super antibiotics knocks it out and I dont even need to think about it!

Quote Originally Posted by draftdriver View Post
    $2000 sounds like a lot for sinus surgery.
    It depends on what kind of surgery was done.

We flushed my mare's sinus out several times this year -- standing in the barn aisle, definitely not $2K per flush.

But that didn't work, so I took her into a clinic for surgery. That was around $2K, but included initial scope, xrays, standing surgery (but two holes this time to give better access to the probe and then using the probe to verify the source of infection was being cleaned out), and a couple days of aftercare/additional flushing.

The surgery would have been more if we'd had to go to a C-shaped incision.

(OP, antibiotics obviously didn't work for me. If your SO doesn't want to do injections, is there someone capable and trustworthy nearby that could help you out until you recover? It might be worth it, as you and your husband already have enough going on with your surgery, so getting help medicating the horse would be one less stressful thing to deal with.)

Uniprim or Tucoprim...powdered SMZs. I mix it with applesauce, maple syrup and mix into soaked TC Senior. For the really picky horse, I feed it with 1 lb of grain with fresh sprinkled on top, then give him the rest of his feed. Otherwise he won't finish it all. That way you don't have to dose him.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Thanks all
    The injection went ok this morning, he was a good boy, but these are bigger injections than I'm used to (30cc) and my TB is just putting on weight, so finding an area with some fat on his hind end was tricky. I used his butt because if he decided to bolt, I wanted it to be away from me, vs. the neck, where he might run into me.

My trainer is kind enough to come down the next few days and help me give him the injections and reassure me (I'm worried he's going to be naughty)

I dosed him this am with the smzs - I am just worried that as time goes on, he's going to get more pissed off about it. So thank you LauraKY for the suggestions.

Whether or not you need surgery will depend on the root cause.....if its teeth it is more likely you will need surgery.

My girl had an on going sinus infection......we did antibiotics for 6 weeks, but before be started we did some xrays to see if we could find any teeth issues.......they couldn't..........even after a course of antibiotics.......I could still hear a faint rattling when she breathed out......and every now and again over the year she would get a tiny bit of snot out of the right nostril for a few days and then it would disappear.......when my horse chiro heard of her troubles she treated her......said her poll was "out" so she did some adjustments......the next day she had a horrible smell and snot coming from the right nostril but it disappeared after a few days and I have not had to treat her since.

Dalemma

Interesting!

Vet did do a dental exam and found nothing unusual. He was floated a few months ago - not that it has ANY bearing, and I will certainly recommend an xray before going through with surgery.

We had a horse with a sinus infection. We did antibiotics. Then we drilled holes to flush his sinus's. More antibiotics. Surgery into his sinus's. Removed two teeth. More antibiotics. More holes drilled. Fungal infection. A year and a half later. He was finally snot free. Used a coffee grinder for the SMZ's and mixed with a little feed. That was the easy part compared to the rest. The bills for second surgery into his sinus was around $1200 and that was him being put out totally. The drilling into his sinus was done standing. I can't remember what they were so they couldn't have been that expensive. I know he was on several antibiotics long term which is why he likey had the fungal infection. Please take care of yourself.

Default JINGLES & AO ~ FOR YOUR HORSE AND YOU ```

JINGLES FOR YOUR HORSE AND YOU DURING THIS STRUGGLE

JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE & AO ` AO ` AO ` ALWAYS OPTIMISTIC ```

HOPING THE ANTIBIOTICS TAKE CARE OF THIS
    AND HOPE YOU ARE FEELING BETTER SOON ALSO ```
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Well, I don't want to get excited as sometimes it goes away and comes back, but we immediately noticed that the smell is gone. We're on day 5, and yesterday I noticed its no longer a bright yellow anymore, its turning a white/clear. Yesterday, after turnout, I also noticed a slightly bloody nose that was gone in virtually a minute. Wonder if something dislodged itself, he sneezed it out, and caused a little bleeding? Trying to akin this to a human sinus infection that you kind of get some dryness after the drugs kick in.

I am cautiously optimistic.

I do grind up the smz's in a grinder, add applesauce, put in a dose syringe and slime him. He's taking it ok. I don't want to mix it in his feed because he requires alot of feed, and I don't want to waste both the smzs and feed if he decides not to touch it. He is picky picky. Sometimes he doesn't finish his feed when its un-adulterated!! This way I know he's getting the smzs, versus him dumping his bucket over and hiding it.

Hoping this is a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    Yesterday, after turnout, I also noticed a slightly bloody nose that was gone in virtually a minute. Wonder if something dislodged itself, he sneezed it out, and caused a little bleeding? Trying to akin this to a human sinus infection that you kind of get some dryness after the drugs kick in.
    Possibly. Mine got a moderately bloody nose on antihistamines that we determined was due to the mucous membranes drying out.

However, bloody noses are also a sign of guttural pouch mycosis, which is life threatening. I wouldn't panic about it, but I would call and run the nosebleed by the vet. Even if the vet feels that based on the whole history/current meds the horse is on that this is not an issue, it keeps them in the loop. But if it sets alarm bells off, better to have it looked at sooner than later.

Glad you're seeing improvement, though. Hopefully the entire infection will get knocked out and not come back later.

Happy to report that we have continued improvement, and the snot is almost completely gone. Horse did have a day of a decreased appetite, but I think it was because I put ground flax in his feed which he doesn't like.

Im continuing the SMZs and Gentocyn for another week, I belive.

And I have to hope that horses have a sense when they need to be good because he has stood stock-straight for me to both inject him, and slime him with the SMZs, given my current physical state right now. He gets extra peppermints.