The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My dog is licking his paws too much!!

I have a 6 year old Lhasa Apso who has allergies and licks his paws non-stop! The last couple of days he's been hobbling around on three legs because his feet are are so raw and tender. We've tried changing his food, benadryl, and even a vet prescribed antihistamine. Does anyone else have this problem? How do I make it stop!

What stopped it for us was a round of steroids with an antihistamine, plus cortozone cream on his paws and he had to wear a cone of shame for two weeks.
    The only problem with the steriod was it made him pee more, but it did seems to get everything under control.
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

I believe he had a steroid shot a few years ago and I believed that it helped for a while. Perhaps another trip to the vet is needed!

What happens if you wrap or cover the area?

If he's that bad you're proabably going to need antibiotics too. What food was he on before and what did you change too? what treats and chewies does he get? And what heartworm prevention is he on?

Katherine
    Vet Tech
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

FOr sure I would head to the vet if you are doing all that and it is not working

What feed are you feeding him?

Quote Originally Posted by SaddleUp158 View Post
    What feed are you feeding him?
    We feed him Blue Buffalo brand fish and sweet potato.

Here is a website with lots of info about pawlicking and they show you how to make your own socks that will stay on. Im not saying that the product they sell is an end all to the problem, but I ordered some and it did seem to help, but I also give my dog a bath every week with a chlorhexadine shampoo that my vet suggested because it kills the yeast that naturally grows on the skin which some dogs are allergic to. I think the shampoo makes a huge difference for her problem. You will also read that pawlicking can be caused by stress and also can just become a bad habit.

My pit mix still licks but not to the point of doing any damage to herself and when she does it, I tell her to stop....and she does stop so I think for her it has become a habit of memory now.

http://www.dermapaw.com/

There is also a link to thier facebook page, there are tons of testimonails there but that make their product sound too good to be true so I take it all with a grain of salt. But I still think the stuff is worth a try. Its not very expensive and a little bit goes a long way. Good luck, this is a heartbreaking problem.

My dogs were bad at footlicking until I changed doggy biscuits from Milkbone to more natural brands (Mother Hubbard, and another brand-it was a small town and hard to get alternative types).
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Its nearly always an allergy. Figuring out what they're allergic to can be a bit of a trick though. Some times its food - some dogs are so sensitive that even a couple treats a day can set them off. Sometimes its to some kind of grass or plants outside. Sometimes its the chemicals put on them. Sometimes its chemicals put on clothes or bedding (detergents/softeners).

Quote Originally Posted by HorsRdr477 View Post
    We feed him Blue Buffalo brand fish and sweet potato.
    I'd give a limited ingredient diet a try. There is just so much in Blue Buffalo that they can be allergic to. Compare ingredients here to something like this.

Check the ingredients in the Blue Buffalo you are feeding. It has chicken fat in it. Chicken is a major allergy problem with so many dogs. Go with something that has no chicken anything (including eggs). It takes time but read the labels from top to bottom and make sure you watch the treats too!

I also agree with going on a limited ingredient diet and NO treats for a few months. My wheaten terriers are so allergic to wheat that one milk bone is enough to make the male chew his paw pad until it is raw and bleeding.

Going raw seems to be helping my schnauzer cope with the last of his skin allergies.

Get to the vet and get to the bottom of the allergies. Talk to your vet about doing a food trial.

The thing about covers/wraps/socks is that it's only going to make the dog more miserable because it's not taking away the problem, just making it harder for him to itch.

Steroids and cortisone creams are only going to be a temporary fix, too.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Nauset View Post
    Get to the vet and get to the bottom of the allergies. Talk to your vet about doing a food trial.

The thing about covers/wraps/socks is that it's only going to make the dog more miserable because it's not taking away the problem, just making it harder for him to itch.

Steroids and cortisone creams are only going to be a temporary fix, too.

Good luck!
    Ditto this.

It could also be an environmental allergy to things like grass pollens or even something inside your house like carpeting or something you clean with.As far as food I have noticed like some of the other have mentioned, that CHICKEN is one of the culprits for my girl. I feed Natural Balance LID...they have several to choose from......I have two dogs on it and one is a pickier eater than the other. She didnt care for the fish....the lamb gave them gas and made for AWFUL smelling poop! We settled on the duck and potato for now and they are doing well.

Things like topicals, socks and steroids are not a cure but can help treat the symptoms which is some cases are bleeding open sores which can become infected. You can also use some human antihistimines. Benydryl and Claritin are both safe but check with your vet for dosage. The old school vets will almost always suggest and steroid injection to tone down an acute episode which can help alot but its certainly not something you want to do regularly. There is steroid phobia out there, but there is a place for it and Ive had to have them myself occasionally to get a severe allergic reaction under control. Im grateful it exisits.

I meant to include that they get a daily dose of 1200mg fish also.

Dogs can be tested for allergies via skin testing and blood tests just like humans. Im sure these would be very helpful but being a highly allergic person myself......Im allergic to all trees, grasses, animal dander, dairy, fresh fruit, wheat and I could go on.......I know first hand that the tests are not always 100% accurate.
    Last edited by LuvMyperch; Dec. 6, 2011 at 06:49 AM. Reason: forgot to mention