The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Veterans and racehorses

Saratoga War Horse reporting for duty: Therapeutic program for veterans will launch this month

http://www.saratogian.com/articles/2...3698968078.txt

Bless those people for caring enough to develop a program to assist the veterans. Horses have done so much for people in other therapy programs and it's wonderful to see this group extending a helping hand.

“Reintegrating is the hardest part,” said Col. Eric Olsen, a New York Army National Guard chaplain. “We train soldiers for years to go into combat. It takes a long time to get back into a culture that is far removed from that military experience.”

As I type, a Son In Law is returning to the states from his deployment to Iraq as an Army MP. Reintegration is SO hard! Imagine every.single.day looking over your shoulder, expecting a mortar, a blast from an enemy weapon directed to you, a IED waiting somewhere, everywhere. He grew up with big loveable family dogs and it was hard for him to accept seeing dogs treated as vermin in Iraq. A dog walking down the street is shot and killed or stoned by locals. Competition for food is fierce and dogs aren't kept as pets. Rabies is a constant threat so the troops were told to not adopt the roaming dogs. During his 2 week leave he spent time with our horses and dogs just hanging out, taking in the good stuff that animals have to offer when you hang out with them.

I hope this program succeeds and grows to other areas. We have a lot of troops returning that have been under massive stress.

Very interesting article, thanks for posting. SLW, I will keep your SIL in my thoughts for as seamless a transition to civilian life as possible.