The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TB guru's, Thoughts on this pedigree.

Please give me your thoughts on this TB pedigree for an eventing prospect broodmare. TIA

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/extensive2
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

The mare you posted is a 1986 model. Hard to see how she could be useful as a broodmare in 2011.

However, on paper she has very nice lines for sport in the 3rd and farther back generations. She's got all the right names.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Thank You Viney. This is the mare in question which I'm considering. http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/le+luna

I left out the sire side, which I really like, because I needed to focus on the TB dam lines, which I'm not as familiar with.

Thank You.
    Chris Misita
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

Well, the mare side is great. Also with the sire you are line breeding to Precipitation. The only question might be if you get much heat with the Hoist The Flag as I have read here that he is one of those lines that can come with a temper. I wouldn't worry about it excessively if the mare has a nice mind. This would be a interesting mare to breed eventers with. PatO

Thank You PatO! That's exactly what I have in mind and I brought her home today!
    Chris Misita
    Victor Hugo

This is kind of off topic, but I am thrilled to see Beau Gar in the pedigree. Only because I don't often see it and my sister's horse has him on his sire's side. I can't speak to anything positive or negative that he brings to the table, just that its there.

To Market and Double Jay are both lines that are good sporthorses that "you don't see as much anymore" so nice to preserve. As noted, the Hoist The Flags are athletic but can be pretty hot and willful.

I love the mare's pedigree!

Re: HTF - I know that Hoist The Flag's son, Salutely was a well-known rogue, but our stallion, who is by Salutely is a real gentleman. I recently talked to Bill Boniface, who stood Salutely at Bonita Farm, and he told me some awful stories. I also was lucky enough to meet his breeder at the Maryland Million this year - it was quite nice talking to him! Salute The Truth, however, is very well-behaved. I think rogue-ish behavior comes more from the handlers - stallions are often handled in a way that would make ME mean if I were them (isolated, allowed to be jerks, etc). jmho
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

I agree with that Erin. What is done to stallions in this world makes it hard for me to judge temperament. Their lives are so unnatural. I have also heard of "killer" stallions who were fine after turned out with mares in a natural breeding situation. Being a good stallion raiser and manager is an art that not all colts get to experience. PatO