The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for a Private Boarding Farm Near DC

I am looking for a Private boarding farm close to DC. (under 35-45mins away). I would like a place with good grass small group turnout that is more family run rather than a large boarding facility. A hunter jumper ring / facility would be a plus.

Please let me know if you have any recommendations
    Thank you

Not sure what your budget is but Kim Stewart is not too far from DC. She has fantastic turnout and a great indoor ring.
    ....Of the younger variety

Have you talked to Alan Lohman?

sent you a pm
    Happy Hour-TB
    Cowboy Casanova - Brandenburg
    Isadora - Palomino TB

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-Pony View Post
    Have you talked to Alan Lohman?
    Alan is awesome, but that end of Poolesville is a solid hour out of DC, more if you go during rush hour.

Maybe Merry Go Round in Potomac?

35-45 minutes from DC ? Are you talking NW, SW, NE, SE? Do you live/work in DC? If NW DC you'll probably want to look mostly in Mont. and Howard Co

Depending on where you are in DC commute to any barn is going to be at very best 35-45 minutes non rush hour (does that exist anymore in this area?) and more likely an hour. If you are in Georgetown/Glover Park towards Chevy Chase area of DC then out towards Poolesville/Boyds/Barnesville is going to be your best bet. Unfortunately most of the private, family run type situations are just that private family run so there's little advertising and mostly by word of mouth. There have been a lot of new little barns pop up in the area - nonadvertised. Closest in would be a couple of barns in Potomac - Merry-go-Round and I think Tom Waters is renting a place (check the equiery as I think there's an ad for his place - he is an event trainer but his place is going to be the closest in Potomac). Then there's Alan Lohman, Broad Run and Surmont in Poolesville - all H/J. Next to Alan is a lovely little barn -dressage but you could hack over to Alan's for lessons and to jump. The dressage place has an indoor & outdoor ring w/ good footing. In Boyds there's Canterbury, Barnesville - Mountain View and Moon Rising (moon rising a larger place - mostly dressage/eventing great indoor/outdoor and trails), and then Cindy Lytle's place. You could also check out Friends Advice - it's private, unadvertised place in Boyds, MD -

Web sites: lohmanstables.com, broadrunfarm.com, Surmont.com, moonrisingfarm.com, lytleshowhorse.com,merry-go-roundfarm.com

other than that suggest you get a copy of the Equiery and make some phone calls - as some of the places listed in there for boarding in the back might be the more private type place you are looking for.

From many parts of DC I think it's easier to get to VA - from my house near chinatown I can be on 66 in 10 minutes on a weekend morning. Check the classified section on virginiaequestrian.com for boarding listings - there are often ones for places in Great Falls. Rokeby in McLean is the closest by far, but board is steep as a result. Great Falls is w/in 45 minutes, and has a few boarding barns that haven't been developed yet. Also private farms in Great Falls and Clifton, but those are often filled by word of mouth. It would be worth asking at The Saddlery in Great Falls or Clifton Saddlery.

Quote Originally Posted by Live2ride1206 View Post
    I am looking for a Private boarding farm close to DC. (under 35-45mins away). I would like a place with good grass small group turnout that is more family run rather than a large boarding facility. A hunter jumper ring / facility would be a plus.

Please let me know if you have any recommendations
    Thank you
    Wouldn't we all?

Our place in Fairfax Station is in that time frame (non-rush hours). Minimal grass, small grass ring, self care. We found it via word of mouth and the owner knowing us from our previous barn (since bulldozed to widen Ox Road). At least we have trails and privacy. There are several equestrian developments in the area with a few barns that occasionally have an empty stall.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Default AEC

Andover Equestrian Center is in linthicum. Used to board there and it had workable turnout, decent barn, trails, big ring, I think a h/j trainer is living onsite. If it's within your mile range I'd check it out
    “A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.”

Depending on the location in DC - another option would be Walnut Pond, Rolling Acres might be too big, and there are a few other private type boarding places in and around Laytonsville - there was a nice sounding private farm advertising for boarders in that area... handy to have Waredaca so close to school X-country etc as well.