The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default donkey crisis!!

I have a donkey, Jenny donkey 3.5 yrs old, and she has completely eaten my 15.1 geldings tail!! She is so lovely and I really don't want to sell her but for now she has been sectioned off from my gelding but, as she is a donkey, she has the massive field shelter with her because her coats not water proof and so my gelding is outside while this tiny donkey has a massive field shelter!!
    So, my parents have decieded to sell her but I'm totally against the idea and I honestly think that she is teething. We tried putting all sorts of sprays on the geldings tail; cribox spray, naf off spray, conditioner and we even tried the tail bag but we kept finding it on the floor...
    Please help ASAP as people have already come to see her!!
    Thank you

We tried putting all sorts of sprays on the geldings tail;
    Did you originally have anything in his tail when she ate it?

I ask because when I boarded, I was the ONLY owner who used a tail conditioner Cowboy Magic (out 20 owners) and my horses were the only ones who EVER got their tails chewed off! The other horses were attracted to the Cowboy Magic tail conditioner.

How about a grazing muzzle on the donkey while you work out a long-term solution?

RAPLAST!!! Spray generously on the tail then put a BIG splash of it in donkey's mouth!! Product has a 30 day money back guarantee...and it DOES WORK!! I used to sell it on my tack trailer!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Rap last works, but don't get it on the dock of the tail if you can help it. It burns.

Or put the tail in a tail bag, and spray bag with Rap Last. (As long as you don't have flies).

Another note on Raplast...Do NOT get it on your hands then touch your eyes or mouth!!! Glove are good!! The stuff lasts for days and you will know why it works!!
    I used to sell it to a flight attendant...they were not allowed to carry Mace and the Raplast had the same effect on assailants!! Tough stuff, but at least it may allow you to keep your donkey!! I second the tail bag and Raplast too. But you MUST introduce the Raplast directly into the donkey's mouth so they appreciate the full "bang" from it. Otherwise they have to eat a lot of hair before they realize the effect.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma