The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How long should horses be kept off recently seeded pasture?

The BO where I keep my horse recently seeded the Bahia pasture with rye grass. They plan on keeping the horses stalled for a week - seven days - until the rye grass takes hold. Is this a normal pasture management procedure? I don't recall the BO doing this last year. Meanwhile it is only day three and my horse is going Bonkers!

If I do anything more than add a little seed to beef up sparse areas, I try to keep the horses off for 6-8 weeks.

Seeding from scratch, I figure on a whole year.

No sacrifice area?
    Click here before you buy.

No there is no alternate pasture to turn the horses out. So.... they are being kept in the stalls for a week while the seed germinates. So its sounds like its a big waste of $$ if it actually takes six to eight weeks to set. Plus its making my horse crazy.

We're talking over-seeding with ryegrass, yes? On existing Bahia?

How heavily was it seeded? How wet? How much acreage? How much Bahia is there?

The more Bahia, the drier, the more rye, the less time is really necessary.

I can't keep my horses off pasture without full stall confinement, which I won't do for more than a day or two. I've never, ever had a problem with leaving them right on germinating and growing Rye

Here in SE PA I have found it takes around a year for a newly seeded paddock to establish itself well enough to withstand horse traffic and grazing. Especially a small paddock. If over seeded in the spring and we have a “normal” growing season it should be ready by fall. I consider a paddock to be around 2 1/2 to 5+ acres, pasture 5-15 acres, above that a field. We generally have good grass and our rule of thumb is 1 horse per 2 acres if we want to keep it in decent grass. In 6 to 8 weeks you will have what looks to be a good stand of grass. But put a couple of horses on it and you will loose around 60% if not more depending on the size pasture in a couple of months and most likely you will be back to where you started. Keeping them off for a week is just a waste of time and money. Even with a couple of months if they are turned out when it is wet or muddy the new grass will not have rooted deep enough to survive. As suggested the only way to get around this is to use an electric fence and create a sacrifice area for turn out and feed hay. Of course this is only my opinion but it is based on a lot of experience. In other words I have already paid for the T-shirts. The above applies to our area, growing season and weather using, a good pasture mix of bluegrass, rye, orchard, etc. and proper prep and fertilizing. Along with dragging on a regular bases and yearly aeration.

Quote Originally Posted by lightlee View Post
    The BO where I keep my horse recently seeded the Bahia pasture with rye grass.
    Once again, the OP is talking about having overseeded with RYE GRASS.

If you wait 6 months or a year, the ryegrass will be dead

I too just turn them back out as soon as I finish spreading. Heck, in one pasture, the horses are still out there and just follow the tractor around.

The rye grass comes up just fine, and stays thick as long as there is rain to keep it growing. It's the lack of rain more than the horses out on it that causes the rye not to grow well.

We, also, don't pull them off the pasture at all. We have nowhere else to keep them. I wish we could rotate pastures.

The rye will come up if it rains. Sure, the horses trample it down and eat the baby shoots, but some still comes up.