The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default One K helmets?

Wow. There's going to something more expensive than a GPA??
    One thousand bucks for a helmet? Just wow.

I guess I will never understand the hunter fetish with helmet and breeches brands.

I personally wouldn't wear one, but I still only wear the classic GPA. The price is totally unappealing too.

edit: okay just looked on the fb page, they only cost 279... last time I checked that is less then a GPA
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

Does anyone have a link? I'm really curious now!
    "Many are riders; many are craftsmen; but few are artists on horseback."
    ~George Morris

the side bar add took me to their FB page https://www.facebook.com/pages/One-K...wall&filter=12
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

where are you getting these crazy prices from? 279.95 aint so bad..

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Quote Originally Posted by Credosporthorses View Post
    the side bar add took me to their FB page https://www.facebook.com/pages/One-K...wall&filter=12
    Hmm... Maybe I would have to try it on/see it in person, but I'm not hating it from the pictures. the built-in sunglasses are a little... odd. Other than that I think it's growing on me the more I look at it.
    ~George Morris

I'm guessing that some time back in the 90's some BNT forgot their show helmet and had to ride in their schooling helmet, and started a trend... now everyone rides in ugly plastic schooling helmets at shows... The One K witht the built in glasses/face sheild looks like a blue storm trooper...

Thank God the baboon butt Fits breeches haven't taken off in the hunter world (the ad is showing up on the page)

Quote Originally Posted by Credosporthorses View Post
    edit: okay just looked on the fb page, they only cost 279... last time I checked that is less then a GPA

I was just making a joke about the name of the helmet being "One K".

Lol - Didn't even notice the sunglasses.

I actually rather like the look of them... The sunglasses thing is a bit odd, but the normal one looks cool.
    Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

I saw them at a local store, and they're nto bad looking, if you like that style of helmet. The sunglasses wouldn't be my choice, though. I think they'd be great at being in the wrong place a lot.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

They fit great!! Me anyway. I found them to be very comfy, secure without being overly tight and very lite weight. I rather like the styling of most of them. One is quite a bit too shiny for my likes and the one with the sunshield was too radical til I tried it on. You can't even tell that it's there when up, then a touch on one side brings it down with no interference whatsoever. I actually thought it was pretty cool! Much better than those wide brimmed sunvisors for the intense Florida sun! Definitely one for Wellington and the bright sand! And, as helmets go these day, the price is reasonable.

They are super comfortable! I tried the matte black one, very traditional looking as far as a tech helmet goes. Lightweight, good fit on my head, which can be difficult.

I have no need for the sun shield, but I can totally see their usefulness in places like Wellington - or the clear one for someone who gallops/conditions outside - I hate when my eyes are streaming down my cheeks from the wind!

I could see the ones with the sunglasses built right in a plus.

I ALWAYS ride outside with sunglasses on when it is sunny to protect my eyes, and it would be convienant to have it right on the helmet, instead of remembering my riding sunglasses in the car.

Not to mention, if I am out (and actually able to be mounted at a hunt), the clear glasses would come in handy, protecting the eyes against branches in the woods, plus dirt coming up from the horse in front of you.

Unless something goes horribly wrong and the glasses shatter into your eyeballs..... I often think about the dangers of wearing glasses when I ride and what could possibly happen LOL

Which leads me into thinking... what if you wear glasses? Is it like going to a 3D movie where everything is awkward because you literally have to wear two pairs on the bridge of your nose?

Quote Originally Posted by horsegal301 View Post
    Unless something goes horribly wrong and the glasses shatter into your eyeballs..... I often think about the dangers of wearing glasses when I ride and what could possibly happen LOL

Which leads me into thinking... what if you wear glasses? Is it like going to a 3D movie where everything is awkward because you literally have to wear two pairs on the bridge of your nose?
    Exactly, I have very sun-sensitive eyes, and I wear glasses (transition lenses that I wear all the time), as my eyes can't handle contacts. It's a cute helmet, though, without the eye shield. Where are you guys seeing the price?
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

I've used this answer before to a similar topic, but I am going to pull it out again.

I don't know about you, but I always try to avoid landing on my face if I fall off.

Not to mention, when I wore glasses (now wear contacts), I took some pretty good hits to the face with basketballs and horse heads, and never had a problem with the glass breaking. If anything, they bridge of the glasses would dig into my nose, and tear a small piece of skin...

The other day, I finally saw this helmet in person this weekend. I tried it on and it was the most comfortable helmet I have ever tried. I would need the extra large (at least) to fit all my hair in, but it was SO COMFORTABLE. I actually didn't hate the way it looked, either. The sunglasses made me giggle. A lot. But I can see them being convenient and they aren't in the way if you don't want to use them. I tried on the velvet one, but I would definitely get it in one of the matte colors if I were to get one. It's a lot better than I thought it would be and the price isn't bad, either!
    ~George Morris

Thanks for the update! I don't get it with the sunglasses though - where do they store when not in use? Do they bug you at all and would they interfere with a hair net or crack on your head in a fall?

Quote Originally Posted by alterchicken View Post
    Thanks for the update! I don't get it with the sunglasses though - where do they store when not in use? Do they bug you at all and would they interfere with a hair net or crack on your head in a fall?
    I also tried it on too, and I really love the fit. I also need a XXL, but it was really comfy and lightweight.

The built in sunglasses come out when you push on like the edge and then you push them back it. Its really neat, but I do have to say when the sunglasses came out they hit my nose really hard, but other then that they are great!