The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cat can't tolerate doxycycline

My cat Sammy was diagnosed with both Lyme and anaplasma. He's supposed to be on liquid doxycycline. However, every time I've given it to him (three times now) he's thrown up. I've tried before eating, and after eating when his stomach was full, no difference. I'll call my vet in the morning, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what else would treat these diseases if my cat can't keep down his medicine?

Maybe try tetracycline? And why did you ave him tested in the first place, I mean, what is going on with thim that those were even looked into? And how were they diagnosed, some tests are more reliable than others.

Hope you find somehting that works for him!

Katherine
    Vet Tech
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Clavamox will also treat those illnesses, just more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshfield View Post
    Clavamox will also treat those illnesses, just more expensive.
    Nope.
    I don't see much Lyme in OK but you could maybe try Baytril?

If I can remember I will check the newest edition of Greene's Infecitous Diseases to see what else might work for both.

We treat that with ampicillin. Theres many different antibiotics that will work - tellyour vet and they should get them switched asap.

Thanks guys. I was out all day, but did talk to the vet. First, she said try doxy tablets, although she didn't hold out much hope that he'd tolerate them. I will do that tomorrow. If that doesn't work, then they can treat the Lyme with amoxicillen. The anaplasma is tougher. She said they could give an antibiotic shot (sorry, I didn't write it down, so don't remember what it was -- nothing I'd heard of) two weeks apart. The problem with that is that is it AWFUL for the animal (salivating, pooping, swelling at the site etc.). A small animal vet friend of mine said she wouldn't do that to one of her cats unless it was showing clinical signs of anaplasma, which this cat is not.

He was tested for these diseases b/c he was peeing frequently, and only in small amounts. I was concerned he was brewing a urinary tract infection, or crystals, or might be on the way to blocking. They did a work up including tick borne diseases.

I don't think that the tick diseases are causing the urination issue (which isn't really an issue, I was just worried it would become one). And, the last time I saw him pee he peed a normal amount.

So the question is whether to treat the anaplasma or not. Any opinions? This is a 3 year old cat, so the anaplasma potentially has some time to develop. He was a barn cat that showed up but is now a house cat.

I would also find out if this was a antiGEN or antiBODY screening for anaplasma. If it's an antibody I would do the amoxi and test his levels again in 3-4 months if he's not symptomatic. He coudl have been exposed, not actively infected, and why make him sick as a dog(haha) if he doesn't really need it.

Katherine
    Vet Tech
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Boy, SMF11, you've been through the wringer with tick borne diseases. Jingles for the cat.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Boy, SMF11, you've been through the wringer with tick borne diseases. Jingles for the cat.
    Yes -- when I said in the other thread that Lyme is not only endemic here, it is epidemic, I meant it! My 8 year old has it as well, caught early. I really think if you are in a rural area and work outside at all (or play) you are at a pretty high risk for exposure . . .

On the other hand, apparently cats handle Lyme and anaplasma much better than people do.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Yup. Do you have fowl? Maybe some chickens, Guinees etc would help with the tick problem. There is another thread on the lack of acorns=lack of rodents=more ticks on cats/dogs/humans.
    I don't know but I got one on ME for the first time in my life.
    Ugh, on my neck. Went to my dr to have it pulled off and tested. Ugh.

Chall, you probably know this, but if you've been bitten by a tick taking doxycycline within the first 24 hours dramatically reduces the transmission of Lyme. There is a New England Journal of Medicine study that proved that, using I think a one time dose of doxy. I am not aware of studies testing the hypothesis that a longer course of doxy (say 48 hours, or a week) would further cut transmission rates although some doctors and vets believe that.

I'm thinking of chickens but my farm is so wide open and rural that if I let them free range I am certain I'd lose a lot to foxes/coyotes/bobcats/hawks and I struggle with my conscience as to whether I can bring in animals that I am responsible for, knowing that they will be killed -- that is, I won't be protecting them. Still on the fence about that . . . on the other hand, I don't like paying the price of catching Lyme disease, or erlicchia either.

Thanks SMF, I got the one dose.
    Maybe you can find a Turkey troop and feed them to keep them around.(My pc keeps eating my post, so I'll leave my response short) Hope things get better