The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post

Other fun uses for cactus cloth:
    1. Cleaning those sweaty areas around the ears after rides
    2. Rub saddle marks out when it's too cold for sponging/hosing
    3. Substitute for curry comb on a sensitive/thin skinned/recently clipped horse
    4. Substitute for metal mud curry
    5. Human stress reliever--flail it against a fencepost or stall door to remove the dried mud, and feel your worries float away.

It slices. It dices. It juliennes fries.
    Oh god, it dices?...Im sold.

But really you guys are selling me on the cloth... what is everyones favorite or couple favorite uses of the cactus cloth? Sell me you witty advertisers! (I'm kindof already sold...)

My cactus cloths are probably more than 15 years old - can't remember when or where I bought them. They still look pretty good. I don't use them in warm weather, but drag them out every fall once it gets too cool to rinse off my horse after riding.

well, in addition to the other things already mentioned (there is nothing better in the universe for removing dried mud or poultice from legs!), they work very well for scruffing up suede or rough out leather.

Big D is having a 20% off sale!
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

How does the mit hold up to the cloth?
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Quote Originally Posted by BoyleHeightsKid View Post
    How does the mit hold up to the cloth?
    I like the idea of the C-Cloth on one side, sheepskin on the other. That and a hoof pick does seem like the Swiss Army Knife of grooming tools.

Generally, however, I'm not a fan of mitts. They twist on my little but vigorous hands and the seams tear, too.

ETA: Also, there is something to be said for a cloth you can fold. Remember that the cloth is quite porous, so fine dirt will get through to your hand. On the ergonomic front (for human groomer), it's easier on your body to get off mud with a wad of something in your hand, rather than with your flat hand.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Saskatoonian View Post
    they work very well for scruffing up suede or rough out leather.
    Congratulations, you're my COTHer of the week for this handy tip. I thought my suede saddle cover was smoothed out so thoroughly that there was no suede left to fluff back up, but thanks to you and my cactus cloth, it's back in business!

I have the mattes mit, and while its so nice and well made and the sheepy sheep is so luxurious as Mattes always is... I just can't love it. I want to love it, really I do.

The cactus section is very small and has a thick seam where its stitched to the sheepskin. More dirt collects there than the cactus portion. Its good for doing legs but thats about it I find. I find it awkward for doing the body. Perhaps it needed to be soaked to unleash the awesomeness.

I have not had any luck with the sheepskin portion making my horse any cleaner or shinier either. It seems to just push dust around and get mildly dirty itself. Perhaps its better for buffing up an already sparkling clean horse... but thats rare for me

I ordered two cacti cloths from Victory Canter, eager for them to arrive.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    Click for the ideal stocking stuffer for anyone equine!

After reading this thread, I am going to have to get one of these... My gelding has the itchiest face of any horse I've ever met.

On mitt vs square, I like the mitt better for the pretty clean horse - it's much less cumbersome to use, so faster. And yeah, the sheep is for buffing! I use my mitt mostly for show grooming.

For serious work - like removal of your horse's latest full body spa treatment - the square one is better. I've been known to spread it out and use two hands.

Reviving this because I just got a Sisal towel http://www.horze.com/Sisal-Towel/261...tart=1&q=sisal
    which I understand is somewhat similar.
    I am in the process of soaking it right now to soften it up but then, do I use it dry or wet on my horse?

Quote Originally Posted by Saskatoonian View Post
    Ok, cactus addicts, a little OT, but can't help myself. At the risk of never, ever seeing one again myself, the absolute ultimate form of cactus and ultimate grooming tool in general is a Mattes mitt with cactus on one side, and thick sheepskin on the other. Don't think they're making them anymore, but if you find one, they're worth every cent of the $20 price.
    They're up to $28 now, but still available.

http://www.picovs.ca/product.sc?productId=2015

Went with a Canadian supplier, since I'm guessing from your handle that's where you live!

Oh wait --- here's another Canadian supplier that has them for just $20:

http://www.abitequine.com/sb-product...9&category=386

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    Reviving this because I just got a Sisal towel http://www.horze.com/Sisal-Towel/261...tart=1&q=sisal
    I am in the process of soaking it right now to soften it up but then, do I use it dry or wet on my horse?
    That looks like a cactus cloth to me. It's hard to tell how fine the weave is with no scaling devices around.

The instructions say to get it wet the first time, crumple out the excess water and let it dry.

Meh, you can use it out of the box. It will be stiff but it seems like a natural way to raise up a cactus cloth. It will get wet in the line of duty. Seriously. These require No Care.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    Yep, sisal = dried fiber of the agave plant = same material as the cactus cloth. Whether it's woven to the same thickness or with the same weave will depend on manufacturer. I've seen these sisal cloths in foofy beauty stores and some of them are exactly like equine cactus cloth, and others are much more flimsy/wide-weave.

I bought one at the feed store today for $5. They had more left....

Yep, a good deal at $3.50! I just used it on my sweaty mare after a long ride and she seemed to really like it. Rubbed the her head with it (she has to wait until I do it of course, no rubbing on me allowed, even though she is soooo itchy), and then rubbed her whole body with it. It was still damp and pretty stiff, but actually seemed easier to use that way?
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

I guess I need to get mine out and try to use it again. Have had it for - oh - 22 years and only tried it once. Couldn't bear to throw it out because I KNEW I would learn to use it someday. Well, maybe someday has arrived!

I was in Lexington (Ky) a month or so ago and picked one up at Fennell's. Can't tell you what I paid for it though since 1) it was more than a few days ago and 2) I bought other stuff too.

I had always wanted one. Have used it some. It is definitely great at getting sweaty saddle marks to disappear. And itchy horses for sure love it. But it seems to hold the dust, even after I shake it out. Can I rinse it? Or is that sacralidge?

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    Yep, sisal = dried fiber of the agave plant = same material as the cactus cloth.
    Does tequila come from agave, too?

Waste not, want not, I always say. I think plants would be fine with us wringing every last ounce of joy and utility out of them.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

OK, now I am mad that I did not use mine right when I had one as a kid 40 years ago. I could not make it work like my old school instructors seemed to think we all should. So you soak it first? Darn.

(I actually tried braiding the hay wisp thingy once).
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

1 members found this post helpful.