The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cactus Cloth! Find me one, please....

That doesn't cost 8 bucks itself and $13 to ship.

You already know that I'm a fan.... that if I had only one grooming tool at strip class on a desert island, Cactus Cloth would be it.

A bunch of itchy-faced horses I care for need one. Mine is 3,000 miles east with the itchy-faced one I own. I can't take his. Apparently, I need one cactus cloth for each coast. They don't have 'em here in OR.

Thanks.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    That doesn't cost 8 bucks itself and $13 to ship.

You already know that I'm a fan.... that if I had only one grooming tool at strip class on a desert island, Cactus Cloth would be it.

A bunch of itchy-faced horses I care for need one. Mine is 3,000 miles east with the itchy-faced one I own. I can't take his. Apparently, I need one cactus cloth for each coast. They don't have 'em here in OR.

Thanks.
    Can you get to a health food store? I've found some cactus cloth/cloths of similar construction at natural food stores in the body care sections. So you might even find one at a beauty supply store?

Kooks, I found those. All sources lead to Horseloverz. Their shipping can be pared down to $5 if you forego insurance.

That's better than I thought, but I have "issues" with Horseloverz. I was premedidatedly screwed over by them when it was just one "her" doing business at the very beginning on Ebay.

I have "Don't put another dime in Horseloverz pocket" on my bucket list. Sorry, should have mentioned this other requirement.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    Can you get to a health food store? I've found some cactus cloth/cloths of similar construction at natural food stores in the body care sections. So you might even find one at a beauty supply store?
    I used to have a human version of one of these. Finer mesh and smaller size for us. I bought it on the faith of my horse's love of his cactus cloth. It was pretty good.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    That'll do... on the political front. Only $6.50... and if I spend $63.50 more, I get free shipping!

It could happen.

I appreciate your help finding a source. I'll see what else needs buying.

(Jesus. Who *does* things like this?)
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I have a really nice one laying around the barn, hardly used (like new) that you are welcome to, just pay shipping.
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

1 members found this post helpful.

I got mine from Big D as well. They are a fantastic resource and if I can get stuff from them, I will.

maybe look into sisal cloth? it looks similar to me?

i just saw them at wholefoods yesterday... so they must be around.

I received an email from Big D this week, indicating they would be offering a shipping special sometime before Christmas, so if you can hang on a bit, you may save some $$$.
    Nothing with horses is ever easy or cheap. And if it is, you're doing it wrong. They always rip out part of your soul when they leave. I guess that's how they find us later.

Another cactus cloth addict here. I have one on my horse's stall door and an unopened spare one in my tack box. And I have shopped every goddamn online saddlery on the planet for these.

Victory Canter is your answer. They sell them at the very reasonable price of
    $7.65 and they ship free over $25. Or buy just the cactus cloth for $12.60 shipped, which is only a few bucks more than I've paid at a local tack store. I was initially skeptical because the picture on their web site makes it look really small, but when it arrived in the mail, it was same Abetta cactus cloth that Horseloverz and Big Dee's sells.

http://www.victorycanter.com/Equi-Es...h-p-16627.html

(This is a little off topic, but Victory Canter also sells the elusive Real Women Ride No-Knot Hair Net. Love those.)
    http://www.victorycanter.com/RWR-No-...s-p-22827.html

Quote Originally Posted by HuntJumpSC View Post
    I have a really nice one laying around the barn, hardly used (like new) that you are welcome to, just pay shipping.
    Thank you kindly, but that would be very, very wrong. You need to be using that sucker. Use it early, use it often. Any part of the body. Mud, wet sweat, dry sweat. Dry, with liniment, with alcohol or witch hazel. Never clean it. Just decide to use it when you give your horse's next bath. The horses truly love it.

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    Another cactus cloth addict here. I have one on my horse's stall door and an unopened spare one in my tack box. And I have shopped every goddamn online saddlery on the planet for these.

Victory Canter is your answer. They sell them at the very reasonable price of
    $7.65 and they ship free over $25. Or buy just the cactus cloth for $12.60 shipped, which is only a few bucks more than I've paid at a local tack store. I was initially skeptical because the picture on their web site makes it look really small, but when it arrived in the mail, it was same Abetta cactus cloth that Horseloverz and Big Dee's sells.

http://www.victorycanter.com/Equi-Es...h-p-16627.html

(This is a little off topic, but Victory Canter also sells the elusive Real Women Ride No-Knot Hair Net. Love those.)
    http://www.victorycanter.com/RWR-No-...s-p-22827.html
    Thanks! The No-knot Hair Net happens to be not OT for me. I happen to need some of that and a cactus cloth at the same time. Weird.

I also think it's funny that you have a spare. Are you some kind of survivalist? As you know (and others should), the lifespan of a hard-working cactus cloth is 15 years or more.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

How about this? Free to ship if you have Amazon Prime.

http://www.amazon.com/Baudelaire-Sis...3115483&sr=8-1

I have to ask -- how do you use these things??? I got one after reading variety of posts extolling its virtues but I don't think I know how to use it - it's probably 12 x 14 and no matter how I attempt to hold it - it all balls up and doesn't seem to do much of anything, the horses don't seem to care one way or the other so I'm thinking I either have the wrong thing (although it was advertised as catcus cloth) - its just a big square basically or I just don't get how to use it properly --since my horses love to use me or anything remotely scratchy to rub sweaty heads on or whatever else they can rub - I have to believe they would love this thing if I could figure it out -- why is it the simpliest things sometimes seem to trip you up??? At any rate, instructions most welcome!!!

Phoebe: It's a cloth. Use it much like you'd use a washcloth, except a scratchy washcloth. Do not wad it up; use with your hand flat against it, again like a washcloth. Try thinking of it as 4 smaller cloths that happen to be attached to each other so that you can rotate it when you've caked up a section with wet mud and thereby made that section temporarily useless. Also, the more you handle the cactus cloth, the more pliable it's going to get, so give it a few uses to break in. I use mine primarily for getting caked-on mud off my horse's legs, and that's a very good break-in activity because it bends the cloth in all sorts of directions.

Other fun uses for cactus cloth:
    1. Cleaning those sweaty areas around the ears after rides
    2. Rub saddle marks out when it's too cold for sponging/hosing
    3. Substitute for curry comb on a sensitive/thin skinned/recently clipped horse
    4. Substitute for metal mud curry
    5. Human stress reliever--flail it against a fencepost or stall door to remove the dried mud, and feel your worries float away.

It slices. It dices. It juliennes fries.

Also, make sure you broke it in correctly. If it's brand new, you want to soak it thoroughly in water, then ring out most of the water and let it dry. The cloth will shrink some but this process is critical to Releasing the Awesomeness.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I also think it's funny that you have a spare. Are you some kind of survivalist? As you know (and others should), the lifespan of a hard-working cactus cloth is 15 years or more.
    Worse, I'm an evangelist and a pragmatist. All it takes is one round of watching me remove caked-on mud from a horse's legs and barn visitors are squealing, "Ooh, I want one!" I have to like someone an AWFUL lot to give or sell them my spare cactus cloth, but it does happen.

More importantly, the barn dogs occasionally get hold of my cactus cloth. They can't destroy it, but one of these days they'll drag it so far into the woods that I'll not be able to find it. And Murphy's Law of Horse Care dictates that if there is no spare cactus cloth in my tack trunk, the dogs will hide my cactus cloth during the two muddy seasons of the year where I REALLY NEED IT (like now). But if there is a spare in the tack trunk, my current cactus cloth will live a full and healthy 15-year lifespan.

3 members found this post helpful.

Phoebe-- these are some pretty complete instructions.

For the horses who rub you, you hold up the cactus cloth in front of you-- like the priest in _The Exorcist_ holding up the cross to protect himself. Let the horse rub his itchy head on the cloth, or rub him "your way" before he can rub you with his 45# head.

It also works in high-end situations like model classes at horse shows. A cactus cloth and rubbing alcohol will do a better job of taking off sweat marks than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    Phoebe: It's a cloth. Use it much like you'd use a washcloth, except a scratchy washcloth. Do not wad it up; use with your hand flat against it, again like a washcloth. Try thinking of it as 4 smaller cloths that happen to be attached to each other so that you can rotate it when you've caked up a section with wet mud and thereby made that section temporarily useless. Also, the more you handle the cactus cloth, the more pliable it's going to get, so give it a few uses to break in. I use mine primarily for getting caked-on mud off my horse's legs, and that's a very good break-in activity because it bends the cloth in all sorts of directions.

Other fun uses for cactus cloth:
    1. Cleaning those sweaty areas around the ears after rides
    2. Rub saddle marks out when it's too cold for sponging/hosing
    3. Substitute for curry comb on a sensitive/thin skinned/recently clipped horse
    4. Substitute for metal mud curry
    5. Human stress reliever--flail it against a fencepost or stall door to remove the dried mud, and feel your worries float away.

It slices. It dices. It juliennes fries.

Also, make sure you broke it in correctly. If it's brand new, you want to soak it thoroughly in water, then ring out most of the water and let it dry. The cloth will shrink some but this process is critical to Releasing the Awesomeness.

Worse, I'm an evangelist and a pragmatist. All it takes is one round of watching me remove caked-on mud from a horse's legs and barn visitors are squealing, "Ooh, I want one!" I have to like someone an AWFUL lot to give or sell them my spare cactus cloth, but it does happen.

More importantly, the barn dogs occasionally get hold of my cactus cloth. They can't destroy it, but one of these days they'll drag it so far into the woods that I'll not be able to find it. And Murphy's Law of Horse Care dictates that if there is no spare cactus cloth in my tack trunk, the dogs will hide my cactus cloth during the two muddy seasons of the year where I REALLY NEED IT (like now). But if there is a spare in the tack trunk, my current cactus cloth will live a full and healthy 15-year lifespan.
    How good of you to have spares on hand for the newly converted.

If I knew how to braid straw into one of those truly Precambrian brushes, I wouldn't need a cactus cloth. But I can't go back that far.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I'm glad there is someone else out there that understands the absolute total awesomeness of cactus cloth. Mine is easily 10 -12 years old and going strong. I will admitt to cutting it in half. I need another to keep in the trailer. I cut it only after making the rounds at all the local tack shops - most had no idea what it was. One young sales clerk called it "old school" and said they were not made any more. Another laughed and said that they didn't carry them but that I was welcome to her old burlap feed sacks. NOT the same thing by any means.
    I did recently find this: http://www.eponaproducts.com/all_pur...ming_mitt.html
    Not quite the same as cactus cloth but definitely a close second. The one I have has a thumb - more of a mitten shape - love it.

Ok, cactus addicts, a little OT, but can't help myself. At the risk of never, ever seeing one again myself, the absolute ultimate form of cactus and ultimate grooming tool in general is a Mattes mitt with cactus on one side, and thick sheepskin on the other. Don't think they're making them anymore, but if you find one, they're worth every cent of the $20 price. Pack a hoof pick, and that's all you need for a show grooming box. It's not quite as scratchy as the old square kind, but hey, I'm not turning out in clay mud when I'm showing. Happy shopping, and good luck with the original request (for which I'm useless, of course).

You guys have me SOLD! Going to buy one RIGHT NOW!
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"