The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does this kind of boarding exist?

I've posted on here before about retiring my TB, but I'm having trouble determining what kind of boarding "package" I want/need. I want him to have as much turnout as possible, but I'm afraid to say pasture board because I don't want him out in storms and bad weather. I've also dealt with dew poisoning in the past with him, but its been many years since we've gone through that.

So my question is, do barns ever offer a "pasture board but guaranteed stall in bad weather" kind of board? I know it would be difficult to leave so many stalls open for just incase, so I'm guessing no?

I'm going to be in Murfreesboro, TN BTW, so if anyone has any recommendations I'd love to hear them. I'm already checking out Southern Promise Farm next weekend
    Go Vols!!

Yes and no. There are plenty of barns that will let you pay for stall board- but leave the horse out in nice weather. However, I don't know of any barn that charges less for this setup.

Hmm, the barn I keep my guys at does that...but they go in the indoor because BO doesn't like to clean stalls. But, they have stalls available. They're out 24/7 unless it's raining/cold etc, then they come inside.
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    Yes and no. There are plenty of barns that will let you pay for stall board- but leave the horse out in nice weather. However, I don't know of any barn that charges less for this setup.
    Good to know. I'm fine with paying stall board price, I'd just prefer he's out as much as possible! Thanks! I will ask if that's an option at the places I'll be looking at.
    Go Vols!!

My parents do--too back we're about five hundred miles from you! Half of the stalls at their farm are in a shed row that's within a pasture. In nice weather they only are locked in their stalls to eat--hay is given in the pasture. During the heat of the summer and the worst part of the winter the stalls are left open 24/7--if the horses want in more than their two hour feeding time they can go in. If not, they're out! We find that they don't mind the cold and rain as much as the heat and bugs.

While it's not a good setup for every horse it really works for the ones we have Just keep looking, I'm sure you'll find something.

I do -- It's the only way I will have horses on my farm. I won't have more horses than stalls because everyone comes in when the weather is: below 30 with wind, below 40 with rain, thundering and lighning, and daytime in the summer when they need a fly spray system and fans, etc. Horses are also blanketed when their coats are not long enough to keep them warm for the current low temp at night. (I do not know how I lived without WeatherBug and WunderMap)

Other than that, all horses stay out 24/7, including my show horses.

I have one boarder with 2 retired horses. She happily pays my regular board because she knows that her horses are looked after just like mine.

PS: Not soliciting customers since I am full -- just letting you know that there are people out there who think like you do. In fact, in Southern Pines, with our wonderful footing all winter and mild temps, many people treat their horses the same way.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

My barn offers this. The price is -- as you would expect -- less that stall board and more than pasture board.

If you go to a place that has no one else on pasture board, I would imagine it would be difficult to organize, since I haven't met many horses who would like to watch an entire farm's worth of horses get brought in while they stay outside overnight alone.

At a place that offers both stall and pasture board I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to arrange. Even if they don't offer it they might let you do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    (I do not know how I lived without WeatherBug and WunderMap)
    I hear ya! I don't know how I ever lived without my Weather Channel app!

I offer this as "modified" full board. Basically, here in PA they are out 24/7 unless the temps go below 30 or so at night or if it's raining etc. and in during the day in the summer when the temps are hot & humid. I charge more than field but less than full so it seems to work for those that I allow to do it. I won't allow someone to cheap it out at the expense of their horse, but the ones that are on the modified all have health reasons that make it better for them.
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

I offer something like this, but I'm also in Florida so weather bad enough to bring them in is so infrequent (I have run-ins in all of my pastures which are equivalent to being in the barn during a storm). Basically, my retirees are on 24/7 pasture, but I offer a reduced per diem rate for things like injuries or illness. No one has inquired about inclimate weather, but if there would be stalls available for medical care/emergencies.
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Ive seen places where they turn out horses all day during the day and bring in at night.

It is definitely out there if you are lucky. I feel very fortunate to be where I am now. My old man is field board, but he has a stall to eat in so he isn't rushed and for really bad weather. If it's just rainy or windy they have a really nice shelter if they want to get out of the elements. I am so glad to have found the best of both worlds. Good luck with your search!

Yep. I pay for a stall, but like to keep one of myhorses out as much as posisble. He comes in with storms, extreme cold and extreme heat. Otherwise, he's out with the herd and loves it.

I think you will have the best luck by checking out smaller places, who have the time and luxury to be on a "oh, it's going to drizzle at 10pm? Better go round up the ponies" sort of schedule.

I'm 500 miles away from you as well (and full!) so I'm no help, but I run a little "retirement" farm and that's how I do things. I like to keep them out and moving around as much as possible, so as long as the nights are clear, they're out. Once there is snow on the ground I do bring them in overnight, just because I want them to have the chance to lie down in cozy stalls and get some rest. Over the summer they're out almost 24/7 as well, although I bring in during the really hot days/summer storms. Everyone comes in when it's doing more than drizzling too...that's for my own well-being, honestly, since they never seem to want to come in! Flurries are fine, they come in for snow storms as well. And stay in if it's icy.

Everyone comes in for grain twice a day too, and get a quick brushing while they're munching, which allows me to keep an eye out for any nicks or cuts or other funny things.

I DO make sure to explain this policy ("outside as much as possible") to any potential boarders...there are some who don't feel like they are getting their money's worth if their horse isn't brought inside for eight hours a night. It's not about saving money for me, not at all, it's about keeping the horses happy and comfortable. My heart horse gets stiff and ouchy if kept inside for too long, so I like to keep him out. And if one is out, the rest want to be out too.

But like I said...I have just a small operation, and live on site, so it's easy for me to run out if it starts storming in the middle of the night. I think it would be harder for a larger operation to be on such a whimsical schedule, particularly if hired help is needed.

We are now starting to offer retirement board and are only about 2.5h north or where you will be in TN. We offer pasture or stall board, but could certainly work with you on what you prefer. We also offer full care packages that include the basic de-worming, trims, vaccines, etc. so owners don't have to worry about a bunch of extra bills etc. Feel free to come for a visit sometime if you like!
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

It does exist, it just has to be in the contract. I had a boarder who wanted her old retired horse turned out all the time, weather permitting. Weather permitting as in - ice storms for the most part. So- that was in the contract. And yes, I honored it and had an open stall for her, plus two older horses that I kept in during the cruddy weather.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Quote Originally Posted by jrzeqrider View Post
    I've posted on here before about retiring my TB, but I'm having trouble determining what kind of boarding "package" I want/need. I want him to have as much turnout as possible, but I'm afraid to say pasture board because I don't want him out in storms and bad weather. I've also dealt with dew poisoning in the past with him, but its been many years since we've gone through that.

So my question is, do barns ever offer a "pasture board but guaranteed stall in bad weather" kind of board? I know it would be difficult to leave so many stalls open for just incase, so I'm guessing no?

I'm going to be in Murfreesboro, TN BTW, so if anyone has any recommendations I'd love to hear them. I'm already checking out Southern Promise Farm next weekend
    Oh...I HOPE that you will go talk to Marie Lloyd in Shelbyville at Clearview Farm! She is so wonderful, and spoils her horses rotten...I truly cannot recommend Marie highly enough if you are in the area. I am recently divorced, and boarded (pasture) my horse with Marie. She could not have been more wonderful to him--a stall whenever the weather looked even a tiny bit bad, and put him with wonderful pasture buddies that he LOVES! Her staff is world-class, as well. Please do consider them...

Quote Originally Posted by EquineRacers View Post
    Ive seen places where they turn out horses all day during the day and bring in at night.
    That's what I consider stall board--fed in the stalls, in the barn at night, turned out all day if the weather permits. I wouldn't keep my (non-retired) horse at a barn that DIDN'T.

If I had my horse at home, I would probably keep him more like the OP is looking for--turned out, access to shelter, but not locked in unless there's inclement weather.

That's what I used to do when I boarded horses in Murfreesboro. Each horse had a stall, and they got their meals in their stalls, but they were out 24/7 weather permitting, with stall doors being latched open. The stalls opened out to the pasture and the barn had a large overhang so they could hang out in the shade, or in the stall, or in the pasture; their choice. In case of very bad weather, they got locked in their stalls and bedded down overnight. It worked very well.

I no longer board horses because I now have four of my own, and my barn only has four stalls. Good luck in your search!
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

I boarded at a farm where all of the horses were on field board, self care for the most part (other than water and hay when there was snow). Since there was a 12-ish stall barn, pretty much everyone had "access to a stall" in inclement weather.

There were generally about 10 boarded horses there. Each field had a large run-in and boarders pretty much never brought their horses in. Even with the 2 two-foot snow's we got, everyone stayed out and were happy campers.
    We were allowed to use stalls as we saw fit and when we felt like it (to feed, etc). We were also expected to clean stalls and keep them in good condition.

When my horse needed surgery and was required to be on stall rest for a few months, they allowed to me stall board him as long as necessary as long as I did all of his care. Worked out great.

I think if you find a smaller barn, with mostly self care, it will be more common.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.