The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Returning Products That Have Been Used

I have a question for you all. How do you feel about returning products after they have been used, not because they were defective, but just because they were not liked? I will also add that in the process of being used, the product then cannot be sold as new again.

Would you take advantage of this? Do you think it is fair that the business where the product was brought from will now have have to absorb the cost, since the product can no longer be sold as new?

The reason I ask is that it has come to my attention that several of the larger online retailers have changed their return policy and are doing just that, taking ANYTHING back, even it if has been used and cannot be sold "as new" again, no questions asked. One retailer is even taking returns of custom items and full refund.

I was doing some shopping on line recently and came accross this item:

"Returns must be made within 30 days of receipt of your purchase. Merchandise must be unworn and accompanied by a receipt. We will not accept used merchandise for refund or exchange. If you do not want an item in exchange, your return is subject to a 25% restocking fee. Returns not accompanied by a receipt will be for store credit only. We are not a rental agency."

IMO this is a fair and reasonable policy. If you've got something you don't want then sell it on Craigs List, E-Bay, etc.

G.

^ This.

I work part-time for a clothing company that has a your happiness guaranteed no matter what policy. You can return garments five years after the purchase date if you so desire and they'll happily refund your money. Believe it or not people bring in five year old worn out clothing and take advantage of it! It's crazy to me.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

I couldn't personally do it. I bought a pair of really nice tall boots last winter and still haven't been able to get them to stretch out like I expected them to. I bought them from SmartPak and could technically return them, but it's not their fault I was too stupid to buy a larger calf size! The boots aren't defective, they just didn't work out for me.

I also live in Maine, so I frequently see people abusing the LLBean return policy when I'm in their store. Literally, people bringing in their kids rain boots because they outgrew them (...duh?) and completely worn out shoes they haven't sold in over 40 years. It disgusts me to see people abuse return policies that were created for other reasons for dumb stuff like that. With equine retailers, it makes me wonder if they're going to end up with a bunch of dinged saddles that people bought just to test ride and then return.

However, I *did* purchase my Dubarry boots from SmartPak because I didn't want to be screwed over if I dropped that much money on boots and they busted quickly. That being said, I don't plan to beat the heck out of them for a couple years and then exchange them for a free new pair
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

I won't participate in it.

It's a predatory policy used by big businesses to drive little 'ns out of business. The Littles can't afford to do that. The Bigs can.... but won't need to forever. I think it's a tad irresponsible on consumers' part to want this for things that really could have been evaluated for their utility first.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I have never been one to return stuff, but I shop with Dover often for precisely this policy. When I buy an item sight unseen and it simply doesn't work, I'm not stuck with it. I have returned two items - a Rhino blanket that ripped after 3 uses (the replacement has held up fine) and some bed sore boots that twisted and slipped and simply didn't stay up no matter what I tried.

It's a company policy that means I spend more money with Dover overall. Simple marketing. It's no more predatory than a larger company having more capital to buy stock at a lower price.

Smaller companies need to offer better customer service etc to compete. It's the nature of the beast in the USA - capitalism is the name of the game. It's fine when it works to make people money, but then when they can't compete it's not fair? Hm.

Now, abusing that policy (returning items that are outgrown, worn out due to use, etc) is morally wrong IMO. And very hard for any company to police effectively without alienating people, which is why they just have a blanket "return anything, anytime" policy.
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

Default How would I want to be treated?

I take back my items-and refund without a hassle. No-I cannot resell that item I originally sent out as new (but now has dirt mark) as a 'new' item. (And some customers can be a real PITA) But..its been my experience that if I make nice with that customer they *might* recommend me to their friends and cohorts. If I make nasty-I can be sure my name is trashed everywhere they can reach.
    I offer a one year unconditional warrantee on everything. That covers proper fit, material integrity and refund if I cannot make it work for you. Some folks-just don't want it to work

And I can still sell the basically unused item on Ebay-and at least recoup something.
    This, as I understand it, is proper customer service. And part of being in business.
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

Used in what sense?

If I try an item on my horse and it doesn't fit, I'll return it. I don't think that counts as used -- but I also try it on in such a way that I CAN return it as an unused item (using sheets and towels to protect it, etc).

On the other hand, I got an item with defective packaging and had a return lined up. A situation came up and I had to use the item. I am still very unhappy about the packaging situation, but I'm the one who chose to use the item so... it's my problem now. I did not return it.

Once it's used, unless it's defective, it's the buyer's problem. I think people who expect companies to take anything and everything back are unreasonable. The buyer is not always right -- sometimes they are entitled and obnoxious.

Rather than seeing companies take anything and everything back, I'd like to see more programs like demo saddles and bit trial programs. Set up a system that allows customers to try before they buy, so they don't feel tempted to try to do just that via sale/return.

What? Return worn out garments, outgrown shoes? That is nuts.

I have returned stuff I haven't worn a few times. The only one thing that close to a "worn" item was a pair of breeches. They glued to my saddle so bad that I couldn't ride at all. I took them off within ten minutes and returned them to the local tack shop I bought them from. Technically they were "worn"... but they let me return them and got a different kind.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyVagrant View Post

I think people who expect companies to take anything and everything back are unreasonable. The buyer is not always right -- sometimes they are entitled and obnoxious.
    I totally agree with this. nhr, but once I worked at hardees (back in high school) and our manager followed company policy but it still annoyed the heck out of me.. (policy is if a customer complains about the meal, they get a free combo card). The customer complained because we "refused" to put Big Mac sauce on his burger (because we weren't McDonalds and didn't have big mac sauce, or anything remotely similar, as the company didn't have salads at the time.. so no 1000 island dressing or anything). But he complained, and got a combo card for it. Stupid. I had an acquaintance who figured out policies at places like that.. and would purposely ask for something that couldn't be done, so her meal or whatever would be comped. No longer hang around her, so no idea if any place figured her out.
    "Sadly, some people's greatest skill, is being an idiot". (facebook profile pic I saw).

During my years of retail warfare, my personal all time favorite was the lady who brought back her set of Revereware pots & pans. Most of them had food burnt to the bottoms of them. Why was she returning them? They were defective - food stuck to them. Uh, No, you just don't know how to cook.

We didn't accept them. They were stainless steel, not teflon and not sold as non-stick. It was also a not even a set that we carried.

The close second was the recently marked down clock someone "brought" in. They had just been marked down b/c none had sold in 6 months. The people claimed it had been bought a few weeks early. Not so much.

no way. I've only returned defective items, or ones that have broken after what seems like an unreasonable amount of time (like a leadrope I bought from Smartpak that unraveled after 2 months of light use).

Some places have crazy return policies though. Like Costco? When our GPS broke they let us exchange for a new one...two years later. We weren't expecting anything from them, just thought we would try. Or Nordstrom, they will let you return anything or at least they used to.

When I worked at Target though, people frequently got PISSED about our return policy and fully expected to be able to return anything. Like I remember one guy who brought in a ratty, paint splattered pair of jeans that had a broken belt loop (probably got snagged on something because he was clearly a contractor) and expected to exchange them for new ones. Um...no.

I have returned maybe 2, 3 items in the last 20 years and it was for parts missing and the same day as purchased. If I buy it it's MINE. Mine = My problem.

When I worked as a cashier at a store that had a 'take anything back' policy the people that seemed to have bought somthing, gone home and found it didn't work/hated it and brought it right back were the minority.

Most returns were people that would buy the same product over and over, use 95% of it and then bring it back for a return.

I don't return stuff that has been used, I usually either sell it myself or I put it on consignment with the shop. I bought a $50 gel front riser for my horse about 3 months ago and it did not work. However, in the process of just trying it on the horse, it got rather dusty and does not look brand, spanking new. I certainly do not expect the tack store to take it back despite the fact that it was only on the horse for about 10 minutes. My fault, I should have been more careful! Speaking of which, I should get around to selling it...

ETA: I should clarify that I will return used things that are defective within a warranty period.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthoria View Post
    Smaller companies need to offer better customer service etc to compete. It's the nature of the beast in the USA - capitalism is the name of the game. It's fine when it works to make people money, but then when they can't compete it's not fair? Hm.

Now, abusing that policy (returning items that are outgrown, worn out due to use, etc) is morally wrong IMO. And very hard for any company to police effectively without alienating people, which is why they just have a blanket "return anything, anytime" policy.
    A little OT, but how can you make this argument?:

1) Capitalism is the way it is.

2) There is no logical room in capitalism for talking about fairness or lack of fairness.

2a) We know this is true because people mistakenly apply a double standard: They cry "Capitalism!" when winning and "No fair!" when losing.

But,

3) It's *immoral* to do X or Y in the buying/selling relationship.

Is 2 or 3 true? There is either room for morality and justice in economic behavior or there is not. You can't have it both ways.

The consumer borrowing goods is being a fabulous and predictable kind of capitalist.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I find it rude to return an item that's obviously been used. The closest I've come? I agonized over returning a quarter sheet that I had used for half an hour before deciding that it was poorly made and poorly fitting. I hated it but I debated the ethics of returning something that had already been on my mule for a brief trail ride. (In the end, I sent it back because I felt it was not as advertised.)

I can't imagine trying to return something that had really been used to the point of appearing no longer new!
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    It's a predatory policy used by big businesses to drive little 'ns out of business.
    Good grief.......

You should add that to OWS' list of whines.

Small and large companies engaged in the same line of business are called competitors for a reason. They compete.

And in competition the stronger and smarter beats the weaker and dumber. Every. Single. Time.

"Fairness" does not exist in the context of business competitors.

Well, I think it's really about assessing if the item met reasonable expectations or not. I think if a pair of paddock boots self destructs in 4 months, returning them under a policy like that is fair. I think after years of use, not fair.

Maybe you tried a new kind of $200 breeches with a special patch type. You get in the saddle and find them stiff and too sticky to use. That's a fair return, especially since you might not have been willing to try them without that policy.

Retailers are offering it because they think it is a plus for them in the end. If it makes me more likely to order because I feel less risk (especially for an item I can't see before buying), then they figure they'll make enough extra sales to make up for it. It also makes the customer more likely to try another item if the first didn't work.

The test is simple, really. If you were the retailer, or the clerk, taking the proposed item back, would you feel like the customer was screwing you?
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by mildot View Post
    Good grief.......

You should add that to OWS' list of whines.

Small and large companies engaged in the same line of business are called competitors for a reason. They compete.

And in competition the stronger and smarter beats the weaker and dumber. Every. Single. Time.

"Fairness" does not exist in the context of business competitors.

The OWS have bigger fish to fry.

The well-heeled, middle class, however, has been bitching about this long before the 2008 debacle gave anyone anything to cry about. Walmart is perhaps the most famous corporation recently accused of this.

You are making a mistake to lump all social agendas with which you do not agree into the OWS' rather amorphous one.

You make some mistakes below, too:

I'll grant, for the sake of the argument, that there is no such thing in fairness in business.

You seem to group "smarter," "stronger" and "bigger" together in your post; dumber, weaker and smaller are synonyms.

But if the large company wins solely for reasons of its size (as it true in the case of this policy), then how can you infer about it's relative intelligence, strength or some other characteristic?

You could argue that the larger will always win at the game of getting larger. But that's all you can argue. You can't imply (as with the attribute "smarter" and less so with the one "stronger"), that big companies deserve to win.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthoria View Post
    I have never been one to return stuff, but I shop with Dover often for precisely this policy. When I buy an item sight unseen and it simply doesn't work, I'm not stuck with it. I have returned two items - a Rhino blanket that ripped after 3 uses (the replacement has held up fine) and some bed sore boots that twisted and slipped and simply didn't stay up no matter what I tried.

It's a company policy that means I spend more money with Dover overall. Simple marketing. It's no more predatory than a larger company having more capital to buy stock at a lower price.

Yeah this!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.