The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs down Dover finally made me mad Update: CS made it right at least

So I have never had a problem shopping with Dover. I have their credit card for the cheaper shipping. All was good until now.

I got an email from the person who bought my house FOUR years ago telling me a big box from Dover was delivered there. Somehow the heavy winter blanket I ordered went there!

I called Dover and was told I input that address for my order. I told the CSR there was no way I input an address from four years ago. She disagreed and said on their records it was a new address I input for that order. I told her I used my Dover credit card which I didn't even have until after I moved. So there's no way it should have gone through with the old address as a billing address. She said that happens.

I told this woman the old address must have been saved in their system somehow and they made a mistake and used it. She told me she would print it out to prove it to me because they don't keep any old records. I said I have ordered many things in the past few years and they have all come to my current address and if she checked she would see that. The CSR is adamant that Dover doesn't keep the info and she can't look that up.

We get to what can be done about the package. Basically I am supposed to ask this stranger who bought my house to lug the blanket to the post office and mail it back to Dover. Um, what! No way do I feel comfortable asking someone to do this to fix Dover's mistake. I asked to have a prepaid label mailed to the homeowner and that the package be picked up and I was told that wasn't possible.

So now I have to drive two hours to get the package because Dover insists I put this old address in for my order. I ask the woman to erase that address from their system and she says I can input your new address but you'll have to go in to your profile and erase the old address because there are a few in there!!!!

Despite being told there was NO WAY Dover's system had made this mistake because my information isn't kept, all of the sudden I am being told I have a few addresses on file! Talk about contradicting yourself!!! Top it off with not even getting an apology for any of this and I am really irritated with Dover.

PSA to anyone shopping with them - change your address in their system or who knows where your stuff will end up! I told the CSR she's lucky the people didn't just keep the $300 blanket and let me claim it went missing.
    Last edited by BestHorses; Dec. 2, 2011 at 03:30 PM.

WTF??? Are you kidding me? That is beyond ridiculous! Call back and keep asking to speak to a supervisor until someone fixes it!
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Maybe that's what happened to 2 overnight orders I have placed with them that NEVER showed up! In both cases I had to call and say "Where is my package?!" Oh gee, we don't know. But we can reship if you want.

Dover SUX. Period!

Definitely call back and speak ONLY to a supervisor. And I would put a hold on the credit card charge as well, or refuse it entirely, until this matter is resolved.

I have only had great service from Dover but something like this would make me stop using them entirely unless they resolved it quickly and politely.

I'd just call back and say it was never delievered/never showed up to a new customer service rep.

Unbelievable! Do you have some kind of consumer advocate in your area that you can contact to get this resolved in a rational way? I love watching stores and businesses backpedal on the six o'clock news after they have been contacted by such entities, questioning in public what some "customer service" person has told a client. I knew there was a really good reason why I quit buying from Dover.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

I think I would try calling again and getting a different rep before I made the big drive. Hopefully you will get someone that is helpful.

My one and only ongoing issue with Dover is that they have a note on my account to be "FedEx Only" -- this is because a couple years ago, I told them to never ever send anything via that DHL to post office shipping service that takes FOREVER to get to me. I swear my postal delivery person hordes my packages as once it hits the "out for delivery" stage of tracking, it can take over a week to get to me. So Dover put this note on my account, and now if I order and forget to note "do NOT send express, just regular ground," they ship Next Day FedEx and charge me the $$$$ for that! They've been good about taking the charge off when they've done this, but for some reason, that note is still on my account and I can't get them to remove or change it. I just have to head them off before they stick the $15 item in a FedEx pack and charge me $30 to ship it (oh, yes, that happened...)!

I would protest the charge on my card as goods never received and be done with it. Just because their name is on the card, the card is not through Dover so the bank has to honor your protest.

That's a pretty bad story about customer service. I'm surprised someone in management at Dover hasn't been notified about this thread so they can make things right.

I haven't bought from Dover since my last order took 2 months to arrive, for no explicable reason. Unless of course they were using the Pony Express...

I used to like ordering from Dover, but haven't after my last experience. I do enjoy looking through their catalog though.

The other thing I never understood is why they calculate shipping charges based on the dollar amount of the order, not the weight.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

If you ordered online, you should have your emailed receipt that should show what ship to address is listed on your order.

It was so infuriating to be talking to someone who just kept telling me it was my fault and there was no way the address could be stuck in their system. I am hesitant to keep calling them but will probably try again after I clean stalls.

I wouldn't claim the package is lost since we know where it is. That's fraud I think Plus the person who received it would still have to return the package and it shouldn't be their problem!

Interestingly one of the first things the CSR asked me was how far away it was as if I should pick it up myself instead of bothering them.

From what she said it was FedEx shipping that converts to post office delivery? No matter how it got there it's wrong. I only got the credit card for the flat rate shipping since I always thought shipping rates were outrageous.

I never said claim it was lost, I said claim it was never received because it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by ponysize View Post
    If you ordered online, you should have your emailed receipt that should show what ship to address is listed on your order.
    I only have the order status email without an address listed.

I really don't think I input a four year old address into the shipping and billing as Dover is insisting. Her first statement was that I had to put it in because it was a new address in the system and they don't keep address. But then she told me I had to go in my profile to delete the incorrect address because there were a few in there! That doesn't make sense.

The CSR also read me the phone number associated with the order (my old phone number) and I know I didn't input that since I almost didn't recognize it!!!

My other issue is that the billing address for that credit card should not go through if it's completely wrong - I never had this credit card when I lived there.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I never said claim it was lost, I said claim it was never received because it wasn't.
    Good point. Although wouldn't Dover just tell them I was going to pick it up myself?

Their "profile" is a joke anyway. On SmartPak I can see every order I've EVER made and I can see what I paid, what the item was, and to where it was shipped. From what I can tell on the Dover website, there is exactly ZERO that you can do/see on your "profile." It's total crap.

But I still have their credit card for the shipping price. Sigh... I feel so dirty because I gave into their stupid scam...

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    WTF??? Are you kidding me? That is beyond ridiculous! Call back and keep asking to speak to a supervisor until someone fixes it!
    Yyyeeeaahhhh.

I agree with this.

No way no how would I be off that phone until they came up with some sort of solution that did not involve
    1. me driving two hours or
    2. me paying any extra money.

Quote Originally Posted by AmmyByNature View Post
    But I still have their credit card for the shipping price. Sigh... I feel so dirty because I gave into their stupid scam...
    Me too!

I think Dover hires their CSRs from the DMV.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

The claim that there is no way their system could flip the address you entered to one attached to your account in another way is most likely bogus. I work for an online retailer and I know there are occasionally blips on our systems. They are rare, but they still happen. The difference between our company is that we are lauded with EXCEPTIONAL customer satisfaction and jump on these issues immediately. The fact that they claim to not keep "old records" sounds really weird to me. Do they not have an extensive customer file like every other retailer of that size out there? Or was the CSR just making things up?

And honestly, it shouldn't matter if you entered the wrong address or not. Customer service should be a top priority for any company, ESPECIALLY one with a "100% Satisfaction Guarantee." I interpret that to mean that I should be 100% satisfied with my entire transaction, not just the physical items I purchased. I have no tolerance for rude, no-can-do CSRs and I don't think any company should either.

I don't think Dover is a terrible company in general, but I do think they could have higher quality CSRs. Some of the ones I've spoken to have been great, but I've spoken to others who have ranged from useless to down right rude (and have caused the company to lose my business...for large purchases like high-end saddles).

I agree you should call back and demand to speak to a supervisor. I hope everything is resolved to your satisfaction. I hope Janet Nittman (I think that was her name--PR/Communications rep from Dover) is still around these boards and can help you out.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

When my co-worker has problems with a customer service person, she says, "Let me talk to someone who makes more money than you." LOL!
    "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt