The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cheaper, still quality, Saddle Recs

I'm in the market for a new saddle and planning on going used to get better quality in my price range. What are your opinions on the best saddles that tend to go used for under 1,000 bucks or so? My favorite saddle ever was a Nice brand, which is virtually unheard of but very comfy and fit a lot of horses, and now that I'm in the market again I'm kicking myself for selling it a few years ago. I need something that will hold up to a lot of riding (3+ horses/7 days a week) and will be comfortable - although my idea of comfy is probably a little different than others. I like flat, basic saddles (pancake Crosby with no knee rolls = perfection), but of course something with a little more padding won't be off my list since that seems to be the norm nowadays.

So what are you favorite brands? Or what do you like to stay away from? Has Pessoa gotten any better in recent years - I used to ride in an old school one that was fabulous, but I know the newer ones are a little worse off.
    "to live is the rarest thing in the world, most people merely exist."

Try the Beval used saddle link on their main page. Their Salem saddle is a very nice saddle for the money and you can usually pick one up used off their website for under a grand

The Beval sale is also going on until 12/31. Its 20% off. Stamford is now $920, Salem is $1080 and the Gladstone is $875. Also try giving them a call occasionally because they have other random saddles on sale. Ones that they have tested different flaps and stuff on. That is how I got one of mine. They had had some Salems on sale a few months ago. They were the yellowish color. I tried my friend's Pessoa that is only a few years old and really liked it. But it did not fit my filly at all! It was pretty banana shaped. Beval seem to be going that way too. Also check out saddlesource.com for some great used or new but marked down saddles

An older Beval will get you under 1000. I have an older (8 years or so) HDR and I got it for $375 off eBay! Best purchase ever made. Granted it's not the fanciest but it gets me where I need to go for now!
    "Lord if we should fall, my horse and I, please pick my horse up first."

www.thestartbox.wordpress.com
    www.useaiv.org

Kate Wilson recently came out and measured my roommate's horse, watched her ride, had a saddle made, brought it back when it was ready and flocked it to suit on site for I think less than $1,000. It was $900 I think, and then tax and delivery etc.

Basically it is the same price as the Beval's saddles, except made for your horse's measurements and personally delivered by the professional and flocked on site.

It is a good looking saddle imo, a lot of people in the barn have commented on how nice it looks, and my roommate is over the moon for it.

Not sure where you are located but maybe if you call Kate you can get recs from her on where to find something like that.

meup, was it a Kent and Masters?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I loved loved loved my Northrun Ashland. Totally no frills, very basic, nice and flat saddle. Great balance though, and the one I had was over 12 years old and looked better than some of the newer saddles at my barn. Quality saddle made in Walsall that you can definitely find used for under $1000. Does run on the narrower side though, so FYI if you ride a lot of big ol' WB's. It was a perfect fit for the TB's I took lessons on.

No one is going to confuse a Bates for a Butet... but if the shape is right, they're not bad for an inexpensive saddle. I had one that worked a charm for my young horse until I decided he had stopped growing and could have a Black County fit for him. You can find Bates used for $1000 or less if you look. And they have decent resale value too.
    ~Veronica

Just wanted to say that the Beval saddle sale is 30% off, and Beval is fantastic to work with. I just bought a Beval LTD 2 and love it (it is a bit more than $1,000 (ETA: well, $1,925.00 right now, actually), but totally worth it, I think).

Working with Beval could not have been easier, and I actually received far better feedback from them by looking at e-mailed pictures of saddle fit, etc. than I ever got from the Antares rep who actually came out and saw my horse.

I really think you can't go wrong with Beval. I'd definitely take a look at some of their lower priced saddles as well. I've been impressed with what I have seen of their quality.

ETA: I have also ridden in a Stamford and think it is a nice saddle, especially for the price.

To me, less than $100 under $2000 is not what I'd define as "under $1000" per the OP, but if the OP is in the $2000ish price bracket, she has a HUGE numer of choices. Including custom fitted/flocked choices.
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Kate Wilson recently came out and measured my roommate's horse, watched her ride, had a saddle made, brought it back when it was ready and flocked it to suit on site for I think less than $1,000. It was $900 I think, and then tax and delivery etc.

Basically it is the same price as the Beval's saddles, except made for your horse's measurements and personally delivered by the professional and flocked on site.

It is a good looking saddle imo, a lot of people in the barn have commented on how nice it looks, and my roommate is over the moon for it.

Not sure where you are located but maybe if you call Kate you can get recs from her on where to find something like that.
    Wow that sounds like a great deal! Unfortunately I don't own a horse of my own, so it would be hard to get something custom made. I'm looking for a medium wide/wide that I can throw on just about anything (I know, high/impossible demands, but its going to see a lot of different horse backs). I will definitely keep in mind for the future though.

Thanks for all the other suggestions, I'm near Raleigh NC so we have M&M Tackstore (I'm disappointed THS shut down right before I was saddle shopping) and I'm thinking of trying a few from them, but the Beval sale sounds like a good direction too, I see a few on their website that I like and they do trials so thanks for all of the suggestions!
    "to live is the rarest thing in the world, most people merely exist."

meupatdoes, do you have a link for her? Sounds amazing!

I have a two year old Pessoa (adjustable) that I really like, and everyone who's ridden in it remarks how comfortable it is. I don't believe that many of the newer saddles in that under $2,000 range hold up as well as the older ones (my 30 year old Stubben shows very little wear) but if you take good care of your saddles, it's a good choice.
    If you're willing to go with used, the Stubben Siegfried CS is nice. It's NOT like a regular Siegfried, it's a close contact saddle with a completely different seat & position. There is some padding on the flap, and a small, high knee block.
    If you're willing to ride in a completely flat saddle, you can find older County ProFits out there in your price range. I can't swear to it, but I believe they're wool flocked, as is the Stubben.
    Good luck with your search.

A brand that is fairly cheap new or used, but not very well known is Phillipe Fontaine... I bought one used for $500 (the max I could spend on a saddle) and other than the fact that it has a lot more padding than I'd like (I'm with you on the flat saddles, I kind of miss mine), I've really enjoyed it. It has really nice leather on the seat and flaps, the underside is definitely an obviously cheaper leather but... no one sees that part

http://www.pfsaddles.com/

I have the Danielle model. I'm actually pretty amazed by it for a saddle that retails for just under $1000 new, it's really not a bad saddle. Even my really stuck up friend has commented on how nice it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    I loved loved loved my Northrun Ashland. Totally no frills, very basic, nice and flat saddle. Great balance though, and the one I had was over 12 years old and looked better than some of the newer saddles at my barn. Quality saddle made in Walsall that you can definitely find used for under $1000. Does run on the narrower side though, so FYI if you ride a lot of big ol' WB's. It was a perfect fit for the TB's I took lessons on.
    I second this recommendation, good quality and they are easy to find used in your price range. You might want to buy one with a wide tree instead. And of course the Beval saddles are a good choice too, they have something in every price range.

My money would be on...

Beval

Older County (newer ones will be over your price range but are also nice)

Older Crosby, Barnsby, Pessoa, and Crump (all brands whose cheaper offerings have suffered in quality in recent years--more expensive Barnsbys are still nice but their entry-level stuff has gone downhill)

Passier

Northrun

Ainsley

Berney Brothers

Stubben

An older Miller, but not the Ovations that replaced them (again, the Ovations are nice, but they're for a more recreational/five-to-ten-rides-a-week type rider)

Nice

Zaldi (if you liked Nice, you'll like Zaldi too--especially the Zaldi Star)

Of course, all list neglects the question of whether these brands are likely to fit a wide variety of horses. And once we factor THAT in, my money's on Zaldi Star, Stubben, Pessoa, Berney Brothers, or an older Pessoa. Those are most likely to have the moderately curvy trees and high wither clearance that you can make work on a fairly wide variety of horses. As usual, your mileage may vary depending on what kinds of horses you ride and what correctional padding you keep in your arsenal.

I had a Northrun Ashland that I paid a bit under $1000 for, and it was a lovely, lovely saddle. Just a bit too narrow for my mare, so I sold that and eventually ended up finding a used Beval Natural for well under $1000. It's pretty classic flat CC saddle, but with padded flaps. It fits my mare, and a pretty broad range of horses I've put it on, from a friend's Connemara cross to some WBs. Comfortable, holds up well to my semi-neglectful care, and I've been very happy with it doing every thing from hunters to low-level XC.

If you can find a used older, "NPessoa" marked Pessoa, those are quite nice too. I've seen some of those on eBay for under $1000, if you're patient.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    To me, less than $100 under $2000 is not what I'd define as "under $1000" per the OP, but if the OP is in the $2000ish price bracket, she has a HUGE numer of choices. Including custom fitted/flocked choices.
    Ha ha, yeah, I hear you. To be totally honest with you, I've been in a bit of saddle hell between dealing with Antares on a broken tree issue and buying the Beval saddle...lost track of the actual price of the saddle I just bought because I basically can't even bear to think about how much money I have tied up in saddles right now! That said, I think that Beval has used LTDs on their website that might be in the OP's price range. I know I have seen some advertised various places used for closer to $1,000.

And the Stamford is in the right price range and also a nice saddle!

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Ha ha, yeah, I hear you. To be totally honest with you, I've been in a bit of saddle hell between dealing with Antares on a broken tree issue and buying the Beval saddle...lost track of the actual price of the saddle I just bought because I basically can't even bear to think about how much money I have tied up in saddles right now! That said, I think that Beval has used LTDs on their website that might be in the OP's price range. I know I have seen some advertised various places used for closer to $1,000.

And the Stamford is in the right price range and also a nice saddle!
    Sound like a PITA! I was so relieved to get my Black Country, it was like all my saddle woes ended all at once
    ~Veronica