The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question re: horse sale price

I fell madly in serious like with a horse yesterday. He is stunning - 5 year old half arab half saddlebred, pinto, very flashy, mostly white with blue eyes in a mostly brown face. Very green. Started under saddle. Very hot, but nice personality and great ground manners. The BO has taken him in for training, a friend of hers owns the horse. The plan is to train him and show him probably A level this summer, and then put him up for sale. For this horse I would most certainly learn to ride saddle seat.

When I asked what he would sell for, BO said her friend had already turned down a $10K offer. WTH!?!?!? Is this realistic in this market?? A completely unproven horse? I'd really like the thoughts of people on this board.

They have a horse with enough "wow" factor that you have decided you'd switch disciplines to ride him.

If he has natural talent to back up the flash? He probably is worth more than 10K.

The horses that look like they can win big still have some value. And since the owner already had a 10K offer I'd say the horse's value isn't all in the owner's eyes. At least one buyer also thinks he's worth a chunk of change, even unproven.

Based on the description, if I was offered $10K for the horse, I would take the money and run. Hot green horses are not easy to sell. The current owner is banking that she is going to get her training/board fees recouped with a higher price. Maybe she will, maybe she won't.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

I kind of agree with HV while I wouldn't pay $10k for the horse described, if others are already offering that much he must be some serious diamond in the rough. He's from a discipline you aren't familiar with, so valuating his movement, potential, and breeding isn't going to be accurate.
    Really nice horses of any education level are still bringing money.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Around here, people teasingly say, that is where two dummies met, the one that made that offer and the one that didn't accept it.

half arab saddleseat horses are usually priced over 10,000 so if the owner is thinking he is a good one I bet that is why there is the holdout

in arabs the hunters are "a dime a dozen" but the western pleasure and saddleseat horses cost a good bit more if they are really good at what they do

but if you like pinto flashy arab saddlebred crosses let me know and when mine heals up I'll let you peak at him

HA Saddleseat horse? oh yeah lol. Saddleseat horses (Park and EP) are still selling. And if he has a pretty color.. some little JR or AAOTR or something will pay it. Usually it's going to depend a lot on the trainer... is your trainer usually into Saddleseat horses?
    "Sadly, some people's greatest skill, is being an idiot". (facebook profile pic I saw).

I think owner is crazy. But then I think half the five-figure ads for horses are a little crazy. Some sellers have an unrealistic idea of what their horse is worth (especially the green / unproven horses). But then again, the horse's value is as high as someone is willing to pay for it. Some people out there spend $50k or $100k on a horse.

Saddleseat - do you mean country or english pleasure? That is what Half Arabs show at the A shows. A HA English horse can be bought for 30,000 already with a proven show record - a country pleasure around 20-25. If someone is going to pay 10,000 for a green horse - she should take the money and run - IF someone actually offered it. They may be saying that to impress people etc. The horse market isn't the greatest and like I said you can buy horses with national titles for 20 - 35 depending on if it is english or country pleasure.

However if you are head over heels for this horse and have to have him then name your price - otherwise sit back and watch what happens.

She will have to have a talented horse (good pedigree) and a knowledgeable trainer to get the money she wants, and she definalty won't recoup training or boarding fees -

Quote Originally Posted by ArabX3 View Post
    Saddleseat - do you mean country or english pleasure? That is what Half Arabs show at the A shows. A HA English horse can be bought for 30,000 already with a proven show record - a country pleasure around 20-25. If someone is going to pay 10,000 for a green horse - she should take the money and run - IF someone actually offered it. They may be saying that to impress people etc. The horse market isn't the greatest and like I said you can buy horses with national titles for 20 - 35 depending on if it is english or country pleasure.

However if you are head over heels for this horse and have to have him then name your price - otherwise sit back and watch what happens.

She will have to have a talented horse (good pedigree) and a knowledgeable trainer to get the money she wants, and she definalty won't recoup training or boarding fees -

I presume with Saddleseat she'd mean Park or EP.. both of which are still selling well. CEP is another story, but that's not what most people that I know think of off the bat when they talk about Saddleseat.. especially for a green horse that isn't old, calm and ready for the beginners.

Saddleseat is about the only discipline where the HA sell for more than the PBs lol.
    "Sadly, some people's greatest skill, is being an idiot". (facebook profile pic I saw).

I'd say 2 fools met with the $10K offer on an unproven horse. It does depend on the level of saddleseat, a park horse would bring more than an EP or country pleasure horse, generally speaking. But an amatuer broke/shown EP is generally at a premium.

While there are many saddleseat horses that go for $30K or more, I would hazard that the HA/NSH market is alot like the ASBs right now: what used to be a $30K country pleasure horse is now a $10K or $15K horse.

A friend of mine had a $40K offer on a yearling, put a $50K+ ticket on the horse as 2-3 yro in training, turned down a $25K offer, and eventually lost the horse to trainers fees. I'm pretty skeptical of trainer defined values. You know, like, put the horse w/ me and in 60 days & a show, you've got a $35K horse. I've never seen it work out that way yet, but I've never seen a trainer 'fess up to that.

I don't mean this to be snarky, but you'd be changing disciplines to saddleseat, so are you capable of assessing the "wow factor" in that discipline? What 'wows' in sport horses isn't the same as what 'wows' in saddleseat.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    I fell madly in serious like with a horse yesterday. He is stunning - 5 year old half arab half saddlebred, pinto, very flashy, mostly white with blue eyes in a mostly brown face. Very green. Started under saddle. Very hot, but nice personality and great ground manners. The BO has taken him in for training, a friend of hers owns the horse. The plan is to train him and show him probably A level this summer, and then put him up for sale. For this horse I would most certainly learn to ride saddle seat.

When I asked what he would sell for, BO said her friend had already turned down a $10K offer. WTH!?!?!? Is this realistic in this market?? A completely unproven horse? I'd really like the thoughts of people on this board.
    Depends on the horse. Some horses, $10k could be a steal, "unproven" or not. None of us can say without seeing the horse.

The BO does specialize in training and showing this type of horse, I believe it is country pleasure. I ride a Paso Fino, so no, I have no idea about this part of the horse world.

ahh CEP (odd, as it's green... but anyways).. those are a dime a dozen. The only thing more plentiful than CEP horses is HP horses. The pretty spots add ALOT of value in the HA world.. bc arabs only come in 4 colors (chestnut, grey, black and bay) so when the "pretty" colors or spots are added, it raises the price, as does the ability to register HA/NSH/Renai/Pinto, etc. And ofcourse BS nominations will up that too.. But, for a CEP horse I wouldn't pay that much. For a nice Park or English Pleasure horse, sure.. but not CEP.

There is one on the Bloomington IL CL for MONTHS at $400 - they can't move him

It depends on the horse - but in this market 10K in hand is so much better then $? in pie in the sky.

I would tread cautiously. I have a hard time believing that a NSH/half Arab anything that is green and hot is worth more then 10K I could be wrong - but this is not my first rodeo either.
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Educate yourself and buyer beware. Don't let the flash and your emotions get the best of you. Take a look here:

http://www.addisequineauctions.com/e...ail.aspx?ID=50

These are the results of all Addis (very active Arab sales firm with both in person and online auctions) sales in 2011. It will give you a good idea of what the market is like for half Arabs. I think that the latest online auction had some good prices for halfs, but that came as a shock to a lot of people as the Arab/half Arab market has been in the tank for most of the year.

Lots of hype in the Arab world....get a grip and do your due diligence!

I would pay 10K in a heartbeat for a quality, flashy HA CEP horse that could be competitive in my age division at regionals and higher.

5 years ago I had my heart set on just that I know very well how hard it is to find the good ones, and how much you pay when you do find them!

But- we don't know this horse's trainer, it's breeding, we don't even know what this horse looks like.

So how the hell do we make a judgement call on whether it's worth 10K?

There are "unproven" half-arabs not worth 1K and half-arabs easily worth 50K+.