The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default NEWS: Horses Shot By Hunters in Hall County GA - UPDATE Happened again!

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/inves...o-hall-/nFqk8/

The Hall County sheriff's office is looking for someone who shot two horses. One survived, but the other had to be put down.

Investigators told Channel 2's Diana Davis they believe it was the result of a careless hunter.

Wade Hanes' horse, Lucky, still walks with limp one week after the shooting. The entry wound to his shoulder is still visible.

The exit wound on Lucky's leg caused massive muscle damage Hanes said.

Hanes thought the 6-year-old horse wouldn't make it.

"It was awful, it was terrible. It was the worst thing I've ever seen around horses. He was in really bad shape," Hanes said.

Lucky and Hanes' other horse, Color, were grazing in a back pasture.

The hills nearby are full of hunters, so when Hanes heard a shot at about 6 p.m. last Tuesday night he thought nothing of it, except for the time of day.

"I told my wife there ain't no way that anybody could see deer as dark as it is outside," Hanes told Davis.

The next morning Lucky and Color didn't come to feed. When they hadn't touched their water later that day Hanes discovered them shot up in the field.

Hanes said Lucky was bad off but Color was beyond help.

"I didn't know at that point he'd gotten shot. I thought he stuck a stick in his shoulder or something and I looked at the other horse, seen his knee and knew it was over for him," Hanes said.

The vet saved Lucky. Color had to be put down.

Hanes and the sheriff assume the shooting was a hunting accident.

"Somebody, inexperienced hunter, or somebody got buck fever. It was dark when they shot," Hanes said.

Besides the death of the one horse Hanes told Davis his biggest regret is that both horses suffered alone for 18 hours before he discovered them.
    Last edited by ChocoMare; Apr. 5, 2012 at 02:58 PM.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

These kind of incidents are not accidents. They are at the very least criminal negligence.

Awful. Those poor things, can you imagine what they went through all night?

Criminal negligence is right. I hope they find the (*&%^* and at least some sort of justice is served.

I used to hunt, I like to shoot. What happened to the horses was not an accident.

The hunter had to put a shell in the rifle.
    The hunter had to close the bolt in the rifle.
    The hunter had to put the rifle to their shoulder and sight it.
    The hunter picked the target and decided to pull the trigger
    The hunter didn't know exactly what they were aiming at or what was behind it.
    The hunter should have gone to see if they hit what they were shooting at.

In every step of this act, the hunter could have stopped and nothing bad would have happened.

Every act was deliberate.
    This was no accident....it was all on purpose. Hope they find these scum.

I was shot once while riding my horse. It was Sunday (no hunting), I was riding my white mare, I was wearing a blaze orange parka...I waved to a guy at a parking lot and he pulled up his shotgun and banged away at us....pellet in my hand and several in her neck...I yelled at him and he pulled up the shotgun again....he quickly got in his car and drove away. No cellphone, no quick call to the cops...sure wish I was carrying a rifle that day. We were both OK with a little bit of med/vet care...could have been a lot worse.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Quote Originally Posted by mildot View Post
    These kind of incidents are not accidents. They are at the very least criminal negligence.

I am 100% supportive of hunting, and know that every season, the majority of sportsmen are responsible, ethical, and safe. Even so, true honest to God accidents happen.

But yeah, there is also downright criminal, reckless, or negligent conduct. And such people need to be severely punished.

Don't get me started on poachers. There needs to be an open season on them.

My condolences to the owner.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

I am so sorry to hear of yet another horse shooting.

I am also quite shocked to learn the poor horse's name was Color. I have never in 15 years, known of another horse with the same name as my mare.

Godspeed Color.
    Dreaming in Color

+1.

G.

By no stretch of the imagination could those scumbags be called hunters!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Another horse was shot in SC -just on the GA border last week by a hunter. Sigh.
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

I've been shot at twice by negligent hunters while horseback riding in the woods; once close enough to hear the bullet zing past my head. I'm not anti-hunting, but damn some of them are careless.

Our curmudgeonly neighbor tired of the deer getting into his garden started allowing an idiot neighbor behind us to hunt his property. There is NO area on his property where hunting can be done safely with a high powered hunting rifle. While there is acreage, it's 20 acres and under with houses scattered all around. My husband paid a visit to the neighbor and inquired about his having given permission to the idiot and the neighbor ranted about the deer. My husband's only reply was, fine, but he had better know the difference between a horse and a deer and if not, there will be consequences. There was no more hunting fortunately.

I feel for the the owner in Hall County.
    Let us ride together; blowing mane and hair; careless of the weather; miles ahead of care...Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    I was shot once while riding my horse. It was Sunday (no hunting), I was riding my white mare, I was wearing a blaze orange parka...I waved to a guy at a parking lot and he pulled up his shotgun and banged away at us....pellet in my hand and several in her neck...I yelled at him and he pulled up the shotgun again....he quickly got in his car and drove away. No cellphone, no quick call to the cops...sure wish I was carrying a rifle that day. We were both OK with a little bit of med/vet care...could have been a lot worse.
    Holy hell......isn't that called assault with a deadly weapon?

In the last week, there have been 4 horses shot by hunters in Georgia. Three died. I am not against hunting but maybe we need better hunter education in the state of Georgia!

NOT just Georgia...
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

Holy hell......isn't that called assault with a deadly weapon?
    Probably more Reckless Endangerment, Negligent Use of a Firearm, or something similar. These types of offenses can be either felonies or misdemeanors, depending upon circumstances. At a minimum, they usually include forfeiture of the weapon.

Hunting on small acreage is possible, but the weapons must be adjusted to the venue. I allow three people to hunt behind the creek on my place (about 90 acres). I restrict them them to bow, shotgun, or black powder rifle. I had to think about that last one, but decided that the area was large enough to permit it and the one guy who uses one is very respectful and careful.

I'm going to have to do something about coyotes, as they are moving ever closer to the barn. That will likely mean using a night sight on my M1A Scout Squad Rifle (in .308 Winchester, a high powered rifle). I can also put the sight on my 12 ga. shotgun with the 32" barrel. I prefer the latter but it's a beast to carry for any distance. If I can I'll restrict the M1A to day work in the open.

When a shooter pulls the trigger they own where the bullet goes. That's one of the fundamental laws of shooting. So they've got to clear "downrange" before they drop the hammer.

G.

This is tragic. And don't get me started on "ethical, responsilbe, law-abiding" hunters. What a crock of you-know-what. I'll let you know when I meet one, but it may take a few years.

Around here hunters - including two of my close neighbors - never wear so much as a speck of blaze orange. I saw one of them - wearing SANDALS - chasing after a deer he "thought" he'd wounded in the wooded acreage next to my property last season. And he had his young son with him, who also wasn't wearing any blaze orange. Nice example.

And this is just one of MANY stories I could tell you about hunting here in Culpeper, VA. I've called Fish & Game numerous times, but since there are only two officers to cover, like 4-5 counties, it took them 3 days to show up. Needless to say, that was laughable help.

I hope the hunters realize that one of these days I'm going to postal & start shooting back. And it won't be pretty. To end on an extremely happy note - anyone see this news item this morning?

Dogs & Ducks - 1; Hunter - 0

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...221644169.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    This is tragic. And don't get me started on "ethical, responsilbe, law-abiding" hunters. What a crock of you-know-what. I'll let you know when I meet one, but it may take a few years.
    You need to get out more.

I do have to say that here in GA, every season, there are numerous incidents of hunters either shooting each other, people in their own homes or back yards, not to mention pets and livestock. I too go check my horses when hearing shots fired too close for comfort.

As to hunting coyotes, best of luck. They are inordinately canny. We've tried and to no avail. Our property is perimeter fenced at least and we now have 3 livestock guardian dogs in residence who have nicely divided up the property to defend against intruders like coyote. That and mini donks and standard donks work quite nicely out in the pastures.
    Let us ride together; blowing mane and hair; careless of the weather; miles ahead of care...Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses

Quote Originally Posted by spotnnotfarm View Post
    I am not against hunting but maybe we need better hunter education in the state of Georgia!
    You can't fix stupid. It's a shame they cannot restrict weapons to those with multiple brain cells.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    You can't fix stupid. It's a shame they cannot restrict weapons to those with multiple brain cells.
    This

In another thread in the hunting forum, someone mentioned attending hunter education classes in something like 3 different states, and noting with disappointment how little if any emphasis there was on having a clear shot/knowing what you are shooting at. That seems so critical to me, and such a basic, should-be-second-nature kind of concept.

Sorry to hear this story, and the others noted, of livestock, pets, and even people getting shot or shot at.