The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default show coats... what would you get as a spare?

At the moment, I have only one coat that fits. It's navy with tone on tone pin striping and does the job well.

However, I think it'd probably be wise for me to get a spare... I tend to get show clothes dirty, and hey, it never hurts to have some more options.

Since reading the thread about french blue hunt coats and seeing the french blue ones people had as well as other colors (believe there was an awesome dark green one as well as maybe brown or grey?) I've been looking for a show coat in french blue or dark green... I think they are absolutely fantastic looking.

I've also looked at some soft-shells and love them too.

I'll probably be showing in the eq and the jumpers with maybe one or two forays into the hunters, so I suppose that's a bit of a consideration.

So really, I'm looking for suggestions for brands, styles, and colors... I'm open to pretty much anything that won't break the bank
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

I really love my Marigold jacket with a tiny bit of stretch. Colors are all personal preference. I have a navy, black, and now a chocolate brown coat (with a really cool chocolate brown helmet). You really do need a backup. I really have two navy jackets - one was a show purchase when the back seam split during a particularly dramatic release.

I just bought a Marigold, I personally prefer darker coats to lighter ones for equitation and jumpers though. My new coat is black.

Are you close enough to some tack stores that you can go try on a few brands and see what fits you best? For me, I think RJs fit the best, though I do have a Grand Prix that fits OK, but it really varies by coat cut and body type.

Much as I love my olive green coat, if you want something as a backup to wear in hunters/jumpers/eq, I'd look at black or dark charcoal gray. Much less fun, but much more versatile. Most brands carry those now.

Default This one from Penelope LePrevost

Me&MyBigGirl
    My Blog: A Work In Progress

I LOVE everything on Penelope's site,I will send the link to Santa

I love the look of black coats, especially for eq. Thinking about getting one soon for the next show.
    - D.O.

Quote Originally Posted by abv1269 View Post
    I've been drooling over that coat since someone first posted her line on here! I love love love the look of it... Hmm...
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

I love my Marigolds, they're the only brand I buy now
    Go Vols!!