The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sand colic prevention

My horse will be going to Florida for the winter and in the past he has been sensitive to sand...the farm there has sandy paddocks and he is out for a good part of the day. I won't be there (he is with a trainer who is going) and it's not always easy to ask for management i.e., placing hay on tarps outside or other things. He will be grazing on sandy paddocks, period.

This year I want to get a head start on a supplement for prevention of sand buildup/colic ...looking for recommendations. I've heard of Sand Clear and Metamucil, should I use one of those or is there something else that I should put him on? Is one or the other good, or different in some way?

He uses Smartpaks so while not necessary, it'd be convenient if there is something good that could just be added to his Smartpaks. And hopefully not too expensive

Thanks for any input!
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

The lastest research shows that ample fiber (hay) and as much turnout as possible is the best preventative. Good water intake, plus limited sand intake as much as possible, of course. Feeding hay on mats, etc..

I personally don't use a sand-clearer as my guys are out 24/7 on grass but some folks here use metamucil they get at Walmart. I guess it's the same as sandclear but a lot cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    The lastest research shows that ample fiber (hay) and as much turnout as possible is the best preventative.
    Do you have a link to that?

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    The lastest research shows that ample fiber (hay) and as much turnout as possible is the best preventative. Good water intake, plus limited sand intake as much as possible, of course. Feeding hay on mats, etc..

I personally don't use a sand-clearer as my guys are out 24/7 on grass but some folks here use metamucil they get at Walmart. I guess it's the same as sandclear but a lot cheaper.
    This horse in the past was on all day turnout with all the hay inside/outside he could eat and still sand coliced, and yes he is a very good drinker, so unfortunately turnout and hay is NOT enough to prevent sand colic!!!
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by davistina67 View Post
    Do you have a link to that?
    This may be the research referenced: Sand Colic Prevention
    As is our confidence, so is our capacity. ~W. Hazlitt

Gift Hill Farm