The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default is a high neck necessary on a heavy weight turnout?

hi all, shopping for blankets on clearance for a small pony who was recently clipped. He needs a heavy turnout, but what I'm finding in my budget (read LOW) is without neck coverage. Is it really pointless to get him something that? it is a Beval blanket and doesn't appear to have anyway to attach a neck piece. Thoughts?

My understanding is, a high neck helps distribute the weight of the blanket (esp. particularly heavy ones) across the body, and assists in alleviating pressure to the withers (very bad).
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Until I had one I couldn't imagine why a high neck blanket would be a great idea.
    If your horse is prone to wither rubs - the high neck takes the pressure off.
    If you live in an area with freezing rain storms none of the water/sleet runs under the blanket. Blanket and horse stay dryer.
    If you have a horse who rolls like Houdini and can wiggle out of anything, the high neck seems to keep said blanket on horse.
    On the down side, it makes any already HEAVY blanket even heavier and just that much harder to throw over the horses back.
    It makes the blanket nearly twice as long so if you do have to hang it up to dry out it's a pain.

Default Not really, but...

I bought two high neck blankets this year - a heavy and a mid weight. Clipped the horse in mid october. He is outside 24/7, no exceptions. I really really like the high neck. Less rain running into the blanket, more coverage over his naked self, and his high wither is happy! I dont mind the 'extra weight' and it maybe adds 18 inches to the length of the blanket (not double)... haven't had a problem at all hanging it up to dry... not inconvenient...

IMO, if you are going to clip but can't afford a neck cover/set blanket (like me ) then go for a high neck.

I believe its more necessary for a horse that is full body clipped (little extra coverage) than it is for a heavy turnout blanket.

I have good luck with regular cut heavy-weight blankets for *most* horses. Provided, of course, that particular blanket fits that horse well. Each brand/style is cut a little different.

But I have one older horse who is just prone to blanket rubs, and it got old trying one blanket after another and still fussing with rubs and hair loss. This year I went with a high necked one, and so far it's been wonderful.

I don't know if it is "necessary" but I do know that a neck cover helps keep my one horse warmer. He wears two HW turnouts though...it's very cold here and he's an older Thoroughbred. Keeping two blankets on him means that he maintains his weight on free choice hay with a regular activity level. I have to pound supplemental calories into him without blanketing and he would spend all day eating.

If you don't clip the neck, I think that a regular neck would be fine...even with the HW turnouts, as long as they fit properly through the neck, none of my horses seem to get rubs. I like using regular neck HW blankets with hoods though, the high-neck models don't really seem to fit my horses.

Another point for me though is that it is cold here, but also dry. The blankets don't have to contend with being wet...and I can definitely see the point about weight distribution, especially if these blankets end up wet!
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

You did comment about budget too, I've been really impressed by those Tough-1 blankets, and the hoods for them are inexpensive. The Tough-1's seem to go on sale pretty regularly at sites like horse-loverz. I don't own one, but they are very popular at my barn...we mostly do group turnout, and even the most expensive blanket can take a beating out there...so people are loving the Tough-1s which seem to hold up well, but aren't heartbreakingly expensive to replace

You can also sew D-rings to any blanket, or have a shoemaker sew some leather pieces on there, fairly inexpensively, to make it fit another model hood.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Thanks, found a great deal on a very nice heavy weight turnout but has no high neck, so didn' tknow if i should just keep looking. Also has no rings to attach a hood.

You should be fine with a standard neck if that's what you can afford.

I have a few high-necked ones for my guy - and I wish I had'nt bought them. He's got a super thick neck and they dont' really fit great

I prefer regular neck blankets with hoods for my clipped guy- better coverage to keep him warm. I prefer high-neck (i.e. Rambo Wug) for my unclipped retiree.

I bought one with a neck cover for the added warmth I knew my horse needed. I too find they're better about not rubbing. I didn't even have to use my protective shoulder guard (previously not optional).

You can always pick up the blanket you're eyeing, then buy a neck cover (likely on sale, before too long).