The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dry Stall/Woody Pet??

Does anyone out there use any of these products? The sawdust is just not cutting it for "Sir Pees a Lot" (28 year old arab with cushings). With the horrid rain, he will be up a bit more and I am hoping to stop by Southern States in the AM on my way out to the barn. They carry both products, and I am willing to give them a try, but just wanted some cyber feedback first. Thanks in advance.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

Okay here goes...

in the Northeast I used 50/50 bedding of shavings and woody pet. Actually I used a generic pelleted bedding when it was available since it was slightly cheaper. The only difference between WP and generic was the generic was harder/ took longer to fluff up. Since space was a premium, the WP was nice to store vs. bagged shavings. Also kept the stalls drier and I had less of a waste pile. The neat and tidy horses, I on occasion had to dampen it a bit to keep the dust down but it was really very minimal. I also loved to keep a bag of WP in the trunk of the car because it on several occasions bailed my behind out when getting stuck in mud or snow

Out here in So Cal, I used pelleted bedding to dry things up after we get rain. For general stall bedding I don't really use it too much since conditions out here are already so dry that it tends to be too dusty to use without wetting it down.

It is EXCELLENT for the pee masters.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

If you do a search on here (search function is in the blue bar at the top of the page), you'll find numerous threads giving you all kinds of feedback on pelleted bedding, types and various ways of using them. They are very popular and many of us use them. Good luck!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I use Equine Fresh pellets, and love them! So much faster/easier to clean stalls, and much less wasted bedding. My one mare keeps a filthy stall, but it is MUCH better with pelleted bedding than fine shavings. Also, I love it in the winter, as it is so absorbent that it dries out their feet and helps prevent thrush. I do not add water as suggested, just add dry pellets, and like how that works for my set up. I leave the stalls open most of the time and they are always tracking in wet muddy hooves and that seems to puff the pellets up plenty.

I like Equine Fresh pellets, too. If you want to stay with sawdust or your regular bedding and have a very "wet" horse, you could try adding a big bucketful of dry pellets under the bedding in the spot where he usually pees. Probably every couple of days would be enough. That can help a LOT without having to transition over to pellets entirelly, and a bag will last a long time doing it this way.
    Click here before you buy.

Have used both, can't remember if I had a preference. I was picky (ha ha) about stalls and keeping them clean, and found I had to rewet to keep the dust down with both brands.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

OP, that's where I am right now. We've had 6+ inches of rain in the last few days. I just dump a bag of pellets where they pee and it makes a huge difference.

I like to throw a bag of them down in the preferred pee spot and then bed the rest of the stall in shavings over top. Not really a fan of doing the whole stall in them, but this seems to work nicely.
    It's a small world -- unless you gotta walk home.

I also use them underneath regular shavings. They work really great with the deep litter type of stalls. Bedding an entire stall in pellets though is really gross. It looks so dark and dirty. It quickly turns into something resembling dirt. But underneath the fluffy pine shavings works nicely to absorb a lot of moisture.

These days my horses only stay in a stall if the vet or trimmer is coming and we're waiting on them.
    When I used to stall them at night I found that a good layer of fine shavings over wood pellets kept their stall so much nicer for much longer.
    I didn't wet the pellets and didn't have a dust problem.
    To me stalls that are just bedded in the pellets gets gross really quickly.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Stall Dry and pelleted bedding is fine. Woody Pet is too expensive for what you get. If you have a Tractor Supply nearby, try the Equine Fresh. 40 pounds for the price of 30 pounds of Woody Pet, and a better product. We also use American bedding pellets for the same reason.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Equine freh is the most economical, especially by the pallet load. I find the best thing for big pee-ers is to put a whole lot in (6-7 bags for a 12x12) and wet it down so that it becomes damp sawdust. For about 3-4 days you can disburse the wet spots by mixing them in with the drier Bedding. After that remove them. Add a bag of dry pellets every week.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

We will see what happens after tonight if we get more torrential rain and they stay up. I stripped out the wet, pulled back the mats, put down the dry stall and put the mats back. Turned the fan on high, limed, put down the woody pet in the pee spot and then re bedded. If the woody pet can help contain the pee before it gets to the mats, we might have a winner. Otherwise I had a cardio work out for nothing.

Fingers and hooves crossed!
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

I love the Woody Pet. I find the other brands irritate my asthma.

Why not treat the Cushings? Cyproheptadine works well to control PU/PD, better than pergolide, IME.

Puddin Pie...if using the WP to grab and contain the urine (like clumping cat litter) then activate the pellets first. Sprinkle them with water first. For dry sawdust use 1/2 gallon per bag...this turns the pellets into fluffy sawdust that's dry and it absorbs the most this way. You can use a gallon per bag if you want them fluffier faster...just remember that the more water used to activate the faster the bedding wears out and needs to be thrown out.

Once the pellets have been wetted, leave them alone for 10 minutes or so and then cover with the rest of the bedding. Activated pellets contain the urine the best, clumps it into one small area. Unactivated pellets allow a lot of urine to pool/drain while only a small amount of urine stays on the exterior of the pellet and activates it to turn into sawdust.

Good luck, hope this helps. Also hope the Year Of Ridiculous Rain ends soon. Night before last for fun Mother Nature dumped a surprise 2" in 3 hours on us. Seriously. WTF...
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte