The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does anyone else include their horse in their holiday card?

I do. I have since my Big Girl came to us in 2008.

Here are a couple from years past -- just took this year's pics and need to create something.

Am I the only one that does this, or is there anyone else out there?
    Last edited by abv1269; Nov. 30, 2011 at 10:40 PM. Reason: am tired and repeating myself
    Me&MyBigGirl
    My Blog: A Work In Progress

I like your kids names
    "Sadly, some people's greatest skill, is being an idiot". (facebook profile pic I saw).

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I did it for many years, photos of my horses and my daughter when she was younger. She doesn't want to do that any more (now that she is a teenager).

I had fun using rolls of film to get just the right shot, and have a lot of the "rejects" in my photo albums.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I have full intentions of taking a "family" picture for next year! Me, DH, two dogs, and my horse. This year we send out wedding invitations, so holiday cards were out of the budget haha!

If it was up to me, I would have sent one this year...

Quote Originally Posted by abv1269 View Post
    I do. I have since my Big Girl came to us in 2008.

Here are a couple from years past -- just took this year's pics and need to create something.

Am I the only one that does this, or is there anyone else out there?
    FYI...reading the name of your blog made me laugh. Out loud. Really hard.

In the card? Heck this year the haffy's going to BE the card! All decked out in his holiday attire "Haffy Holidays!" COTH will get the digital version

But all my 'kids' sign, or are signed for by me even if I just use store bought or hand crafted but photo-less cards.
    Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
    RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
    RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
    RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

We have! I also love receiving them. I framed my friend's horsey Xmas cards over the yrs, all together like a big collage, and I hung it in the tackroom.
    Last edited by pony grandma; Nov. 30, 2011 at 11:17 PM.
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

For many years now I have taken a wintery looking horse photo down to the photo shop and had a card made for most of our friends - everyone has always commented on them and they are preferred way more than the shop bought kind.

I'm tempted to. My friend Deb took a spur-of-the-moment shot of us in cross ties the other day. I love the expression it captured on both of us. If I could afford it I'd definitely put it into a holiday card this year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52967336@N00/6407072341/

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

My horse is the ONLY one on my holiday cards. He's more photogenic than I am!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Yup - both horses, the dogs and this year since I got a barn cat, I guess she'll have to be on there too. It's quite obvious we don't have children.

Occasionally. I think we used the current two in a group shot (including all four humans and the two dogs) 2 or maybe 3 years ago. Adorned with antlers. And over the years past horses made appearances. Actually, this year's card includes two horses, just not ours. Standing in front of rhinos in S. Africa.

I sure do!

This is last years -- a brand new pony and a moody, pregnant paint mare combined with gail force winds produced this:

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._7731904_n.jpg
    Veni vidi vici. With a paint pony, nonetheless.

Absolutely!! this year was just going to be the kids on one of the cows, but now that we have the new horse, DD is going to be on Mistletoe, and DS is going to be on Sweet Pepper, our Ayrshire riding cow
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saddle View Post
    Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

We use the Costco "photo center" for our Christmas cards- so easy to upload the photo- and always include our horses on them. Sometimes just our horses if DH and I aren't feeling particularly photogenic that year

Of course. The dogs too. Is there any other way to have a card?

I made cards one year from photos of my horses, with Santa hats on. Each one had a sarcastic Christmas statement inside. That was back when I could do alot of computer printing, and not break the bank on ink!

Absolutely! Last year it was horse, husband, and me. The photo shoot itself was a catastrophe - I had initially planned to be on horse, bareback, with me wearing Santa hat and horse wearing reindeer antlers that attach to his bridle. We had done a previous card a few years ago with the antlers with no problem. The minute I get on he decides he DOES NOT WANT the antlers, and flipped me right off his back, I only had a bit hanger on him and he ditched that and ran merrily away, naked. Took a while to catch him and I ended up spraining a ligament in my knee big time, it took months to heal and is still NQR. But we did get a photo which came out great.

Default Thanks for all the responses!

Dear all-

Thanks so much for responding -- I feel a bit less like a dork and your comments had me giggling and "awwww-ing" away, which was a totally lovely way to start the morning.

@smoky - thanks - DH and I had very long discussions about those names

runNjump- congrats on the upcoming wedding! were the dogs and horse in the wedding invite? (glad the blog's name could give you a giggle, too!)

EquineImagined - pics please?? Love Haffys!

@paula- you DO need to make that pic into a card. It should also be shown next to the definition of JOY in the dictionary

beverly - standing in front of rhinos??? really? how many studmuffins did you have tp part with to achieve that? wow!

Arelle - love the shot -- yep, preggo paint did not look like she was feeling the holiday spirit!

rustbreeches -- OMG - Sweet Pepper?? Ayrshire riding cow?? Please, please, please share pics and story of her name! LOVE it!

Oliver -- WOW! Just....WOW! That's impressive dedication to a purpose. Sorry to hear about the knee, hope it finally gets back to normal, and hope that you framed that pic, at least!
    Me&MyBigGirl
    My Blog: A Work In Progress

We have done holiday cards with DH and I, plus the dog and the horse. That is our family so I figured it was appropriate. Plus the horse and the dog are by far the most photogenic of our group.