The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Blanket Question

I am moving my horse for the first time to a barn with stalls. We will be doing rated shows for the first time as well, so he will need to be body clipped, and will need a sheet and a blanket.

I need a medium fill blanket that is pretty durable. I am also worried about him getting blanket rubs so I was considering this HUG turnout...

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=831067468

Does anyone have any experience with this blanket?

As for the sheet... I am considering either the Rambo Newmarket or the Original Baker Sheet.

Rambo: http://www.doversaddlery.com/rambo-n...1-24092/cn/62/

Baker: http://www.doversaddlery.com/the-ori...X1-2402/cn/62/

What do you think about these?

Thanks!
    Professional hunter princess

I would buy a shoulder guard/sleazy thing. They are inexpensive and get the job done. Rambo is a wonderful brand so I personally would go for that!

My mare does not get any rubs from her Rambos and she pretty much lives in the during the winter. A couple of people at the barn have the Hugs and they seem pretty good, though not quite the quality of the Rambos. I also prefer to have the tail flap, particularly if the horse is going to be out in any kind of bad (i.e. cold, windy, rainy) weather.

If so I would go with the original rambos for both the blanket and the sheet...worth every penny.

If you need something for in the stall I would definitely go with the baker sheet--very classy. I use Dover stable blankets for mine--at times they are almost too warm! I don't like the HUG blankets at all.

Rambo trumps all when it comes to turnouts, but there are cheaper options...I've had good luck with older weatherbeetas, dover brand light turnouts, schneiders, centaur, etc. However...my boys are super good about not shredding their blankies, so they're certainly not a good test for durability.

As far as sheets go, are you sure you want a stable sheet and not a turnout? While the baker sheet is a handsome and nice sheet, and I do love mine, if you don't have ANY blankets you're better off to start with turnouts and then purchase stable sheets as budget allows. They can wear a turnout in the barn or the pasture, they cannot wear a stable sheet in the pasture. Don't get me wrong -- stable sheets are great! -- but not as versatile as turnouts, if you're going to buy one or the other.

I'm not a fan of HUG blankets. If you want something super durable, go for a Rambo or a Pessoa. Smartpak's blankets are also very nice.

I like both the sheets you listed, but I personally would upgrade for a Rambo fleece cooler or a Baker blanket. I have one of each and they're both well-made, easy to launder, and absolutely gorgeous.

I only get Horseware blankets (Rambo, Rhino, Amigo). They stay put, don't rub, and don't have leg straps to worry about. I've had issues with Bakers on horses that moderate to big through the shoulders.

I have had no luck with Bakers. I find they rub a lot of horses, Shavings stick to them like crazy and absorb urine and you'll never get them smelling clean again. I would go with the Amigo insulator or the new Market stable blanket. I also dont like the HUG for a turnout as I find the wither clips tend to break and the blanket shifted on almost all the horses. Go with the Rambo supreme or the Ice turtle from Turtleneck

I need a stable sheet and a turnout blanket.

I think I'm going to go with the Rambo Original Medium Blanket with leg arches for the turnout.

For the sheet, I think I will get the Rambo Newmarket.

I think it will be worth the extra cost in the long run.

I have the Rider's International blanket and sheet. Had it for 6 years maybe. It fits my mare's chest great. Cut nicely so that it fits her shape and I really love that I can adjust the chest straps. For me that's a huge plus. I really hate that some of the blankets like the Rambo's can't be adjusted to fit your horse. I have seen a lot of horses that have that same front style as the Rambo's that really don't fit the horse but people buy them because it's a brand name.
    "There are only two emotions that belong in the saddle; one is a sense of humor and the other is patience."

Quote Originally Posted by olivertwist96 View Post
    I need a stable sheet and a turnout blanket.

I think I'm going to go with the Rambo Original Medium Blanket with leg arches for the turnout.

For the sheet, I think I will get the Rambo Newmarket.

I think it will be worth the extra cost in the long run.
    I think you will find that you also need a light-weight (no-fill) turn-out in addition to the medium weight. I agree with the other poster who said that a stable sheet is probably optional. One advantage of the Rambos is that they breath so you can use them in the stall as well as for turn-out.

That being said, I do love the Newmarket sheets and blankets so if you can afford all three I say go for it. I have the Newmarket stable blanket and can layer it with a light-weight if I need something slightly heavier for turn-out than the medium-weight.

I love rambos for turnouts, you just cant beat the quality. Another good brand, albeit not popular in the english world are the Big D blankets. Some of them are made with balistic nylon! Virtually indestructable and I have yet to have a blanket beat the waterproofing they (and rambos) offer. As far as stable blankets I love love love love love smartpaks thinsulate stable blanket. Its not bulky and is great for layering under a turn out sheet.

Rambos rock. I have two that are almost 20 years old and have been used more or less continuously. They are faded and ugly, but they still do the job. Each has had minor repairs, and the tail flap seems to get the worst of it. But that might have something to do with the bully in the field that use to like to grab the tail flap as my horse departed from his chompers.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

You might ask your new barn what they use as standard clothing items for their horses. Some show barns have specific brands and colors they want you to buy - even for turnouts. I have stable sheets, medium stable blankets, heavy stable blankets, shoulder guards and no fill turnout sheets/neck covers and medium turnout blankets. Why so many options? I find that I can use some combination of the above mentioned blankets in every weather situation. While I currently keep all of our horses at home and therefore have navy blankets for everyone, I have a plethora of colors from previous barns.

I'd get a turnout and a heavy weight. I believe Baker is making those now as well if you wanted to be matchy-matchy

I love my turnouts because if it's just a bit nippy, not cold enough for the heavy weight, my guy can wear it inside or outside and be fine. And, if it's super duper cold, he wears it over his heavy weight for extra insulation and a bit of water-resistance.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

My new barn requires that all boarders have a stable sheet and a turnout.

I live in Texas, so the winters don't get too bad, and I don't need a heavy weight blanket.

Thanks for all the input!

OK - So I've made my final decision. I decided that the Rambos are too pricey so I've decided to go with the Amigo Mio Medium Turnout:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=185718122

And the Amigo Mio Stable Sheet:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=185718122

Has anyone had experience with these products?

Thanks!

I think that you will find that you are not going to have as many options with that.

If I was you I would get something that you could layer with. You could get a waterproof light turnout, some kind of liner with fill, and a stable sheet. Then your horse will have more options. I don't know how cold it gets but a medium will probably be too much turnout blanket in the spring for you. IMHO.

I got a blanket sac from my local tack store that had a medium weight, a liner with fill, and a fleece cooler (weather beta)$100. And then I bought a Weatherbeta light turn out and I was covered... I could do the light turnout by itself, the medium alone or the medium and the liner to make a heavy. You might try ebay for the stable sheet. You could probably find something that was lightly used for a good price.

I don't have personal experience with the Amigo's but have heard good things.
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

I LOVE the Amigos. My boys each have a medium weight and a light weight turnout. They are two years old and in great shape. They wash great and love that they don't have legs straps. Highly recommend the Amigos!

I agree that you're going to find that you need a waterproof light-weight. Even though my horse is body clipped she does not need her medium weight unless it's below about 45 (including wind chill).

The Amigos are nice but tend not to have as roomy a fit as the Rambos, so if your horse has a big chest or shoulders they might be too narrow.