The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Kuhnle hub caps, how to get them off?!!!

Ok, so i'm still giving it a go at repainting my marathon carriage... Whoever owned it prior was a grease fanatic and it's taking me forever to get all the grease off from around the wheels and the front fifth wheel piece. I'm ready to scream and murder them... But i cant squeeze my hands in some of these places and the brush wont fit in right either and i absolutely must get these wheels off but everything i've tried is not working. I know you are supposed to put some tool in the two holes on the hub cap and tap with a hammer to get it to start un screwing then it's supposed to be relatively easy?

Well, i've now broke two pairs of needle nose pliers cause that's all i could think of to put in the holes, and light tapping has sent them to the garbage can... Is there a specific tool? What is the name of it? Do i have to order it from Kuhnle?

This is never going to get finished this year!

Why do you need to get the hub caps off? I just taped over mine.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5046827...in/photostream

It is true that you need to get all the grease off. Go to your local hardware store and look for chemical help. Ask for a potent degreaser.

You need the Kuhnle wrench, plier are NOT going to do it. And you don't want to mess up the caps, tearing threads, because they keep the wheels sealed up.

Martins Auction has a site for their Kuhnle carriage dealership, probably has spare wrenches too. Husband thinks they are called "spanners" instead of wrenches. Probably purchasing from them is the EASIEST way to get things done quickly.

http://www.martinauctioneers.com/

Next option is where you might be able to get a local welding shop to make the wrench/spanner for you. Has to have the two stubs EXACTLY the correct distance apart, they could measure from your hubcaps. Also need to have hole size in hubcaps measured, will be METRIC hole, not in inches. Probably round stubs needed. Maybe 3/8" deep, but longer would not hurt. MUST be metric metal size to fit the holes. Bar/handle can be any comfortable size piece of metal, with a length for a little leverage to turn the hubcaps off with. Just something to attach the stubs to at the correct width.

Husband suggested getting a metric drill that will fit the holes, cut off the solid end, then cut the end in half, to put/weld on the bar/handle part. Toss the drill part if you don't need it. He didn't want to have to purchase a quantity of bar stock in a metric size, to make our spanner. We have a Warco and an old ECC that take spanners for those same kind of hubcaps.

Trick is that spanner with stubs, MUST be equally into BOTH holes at the same time, to release the interior mechanism so you can unscrew the hubcaps. He can't remember if the right side caps are the same as the left side, all alike. So if hubcap doesn't come loose with spanner firmly into the holes, you may want to try unscrewing to the right instead of left.

I wrote martins to see if I can buy one from them. Husband took the axle off so I could keep scrubbing tonight. That might work, but would be nice to have the spanner wrench too. This is some serious grease buildup! I've got a degreaser stuff but you have to scrub it some to remove the 1/4" layer!!! I just don't have small enough hands to get between the spokes and brake disc.

When I realized how bad this was, I wanted to send it to get sand blasted. But I bought a cart. Sooooo, now I must do this myself cause I spent all my extra and beyond... I'll blame cart purchase on COTH... Reading about Buck wanting a wood cart and such... Lol!

Hey, if you want to avoid enabling CoTH is the wrong place. Speaking of which, I to see the wood road cart tomorrow...

You got a new cart?? whaddya get?
    healthywhitetea.com castingforrecovery.org
    Laugh it up fuzzball

Life, like all other games, becomes fun when one realizes that it's just a game – Nerijus Stasiulis

What's sad, i have hardly been on Coth lately! lol So i really cant use it as an excuse. I am concerned that at 400lbs my marathon carriage is gonna be really tough to bring my broken girl back into work in a couple months... So i started browsing carts, but i need something a bit easy to transport and that will fit both 13h and 14h ponies... So i went with a Sprint, with marathon shafts, nerf bar dash, AND patent dash and fenders to dress it up for pleasure shows. My 13h girl will make her show debut at the Aiken pleasure show in April, so i wanted it to look nicer than just a metal cart... But the sprint weighs in a whopping 200lbs... That should make it easier as well as it having bigger wheels to start rolling off quicker for my broken cob.

BUT... After ordering her gorgeous Country Carriages harness, WITH BRASS, back in March... Only for it to arrive the day after she broke herself... I've now sold the cart with brass and have a cart and marathon carriage with stainless!!!!!! How stupid was that?! So here sits a pretty harness with brass with tags still on and i need a stainless one!

I had it on the list to get a new harness for my 13h girl in the spring... I may not get that now with the cart purchase as it's maxed my credit card... Her harness is an older country carriages black with brown and stainless. I do not like it at all, but i'm afraid she's stuck with it next year.

I had asked the Frey company when ordering the Sprint about getting brass hubs... $300... And if they could cover or paint the silver seat spring... $100... Since i was totally at my limit, i just left it as is. I'm thinking if i cant find a new home for my brass harness so i can afford a stainless one, i might either order a brass hub cap elsewhere or paint them black, and cover the springs myself. I got the patent dash WITHOUT a rein rail figuring i can add that later if i want to once i know what metal it needs to be, or leave it without, i kinda think they look more modern without a rein rail... But we'll see.

The marathon carriage i could just paint all black, hubs and all, so it could go either way, with brass or stainless... But i havent decided. I'm thinking it's gonna get purple wheels and a black body, purple and kelly green are my colors... But right now it's got silver shafts and rear deck floor.... So.... I dont know where it's going right now... lol It's presently almost done being sanded and i'm hoping to start painting on Saturday, but that might be wishful thinking... At the moment, i'm just sick of being covered in red dust... It no longer looks burgundy after a bit of sanding, its more like fire engine red... BARF!

Oh my word, the Sprint is JUST LOVELY. You really do have impeccable taste. In the short time I've been involved in the CoTH driving forum, I have envied every single one of your acquisitions. PLEASE, next time you sell something consider me

Quote Originally Posted by butlerfamilyzoo View Post
    I am concerned that at 400lbs my marathon carriage is gonna be really tough to bring my broken girl back into work in a couple months...
    This is the only reason I'm considering a road cart at all for my boy. My schedule is hectic and hard to plan and I'll get 2 or 3 weeks of solid work with my horse, only to then have to take on or two (or three or four) weeks off or sporadically work. I love love love my Dartmoor but starting back up with work in it seems to get tiring for my horse very quickly. He really needs to be 'legged up' to be able to do even short 2-3 mile trail drives. On top of things, he's got a bone spavin that acts up if we do too much too soon... so I'm hoping the large wheels of a road cart might be easy to turn and thus easier on him so we can work smarter with my crazy schedule.

I feel more than a little dumb about this as I'd gone to a 4wheeler because of his back. An oak road cart is no lightweight, likely 300+, so I don't know if its even a good tradeoff or not. But my hope is that if I can have one where the shafts are floating, and confine it to ring work (which is sandy soil where I'm at and tough dragging a 4wheeler through), it'll work out easier on his back and hocks. And, its just always been my dream to have a big pretty wood cart.

In all honesty my jog cart is easiest on him, and its kinda fun to sit in, but you just can't make a turn in the durn thing. I love figures and dressage. Jog cart you can't do much beyond one huge oval, over and over and over.

I think all black on your Kunle is a great choice. With the amount of changes you've undergone with horses and tack, etc, something that matches everything sounds like a wise choice.
    Laugh it up fuzzball

Life, like all other games, becomes fun when one realizes that it's just a game – Nerijus Stasiulis

I don't mean to blog on your thread, but just an update if it makes you feel any better no road cart for me . Its lovely and I wanted it so badly, but not a good fit for my horse.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...3/04793ea7.png

Think I'll just save my pennies for a Sprint. It looks just lovely. Thank you for the tip, I didn't know they existed.
    Laugh it up fuzzball

That road cart looks so dang heavy... Pretty, but heavy... I really wanted the pacific cart, but it was over budget for me. Coachmans delight sorta your way is a sprint dealer, may save some on shipping ordering through him when you are ready. His website prices have not been updated on some special order items, and I will say that Sprint pricing is increasing by 10-15% Jan 1. They do offer a no interest 6 month layaway option... And you can add some wood bits to give you more of a road cart look... How's that for enabling??

This kuhnle and my sprint are IT! I'm not selling either of them for many years! But if you want a 3 stall slant trailer, that needs to go one of these days! Lol.

I'm thinking today I'm gonna keep my brass harness and paint the kuhnle all black, hubs and all, maybe purple pin striping... If I'm really feeling a crafty mood to sit there and pin stripe it... Not likely...

Coachmans delight also has a pony marathon harness with brass that is calling my name for my 13h girl. But it's leather... I hate all that clean up, but I also hate her older bio harness. It's not as soft feeling as my cobs.

Back to this original thread. Martins can order the kuhnle hub cap wrench and it's $55 with shipping, just in case anyone else needs to know!