The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ebay Pros-advice wanted on selling/buying kids' clothes

Hi, I recently posted some brand new Ovation jods on Ebay at $30 off their retail price. They didn't fit my child and I accidentally washed them so couldn't return them. I put them up for two weeks and not a single watcher! I have an excellent seller record.

My questions are what have you bought on ebay recently for your young rider?

What search words do you use to find quality show stuff?

Do you usually find things by using saved searches?

What would you expect to pay for brand new clothing? (Percentage of actual retail price?)

Thanks so much!

I'm always scouring for breeches for the DD as she goes through them like they are nothing. I've never ever had luck on ebay for her breeches as by the time I pay for shipping it's usually more cost effective for me to buy them new online. Now if you want to do a LOT of breeches (2+) that would probably get you more hits. You might also do a "starter rider" package with a shirt and maybe a stuffed animal.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

I really only rarely am able to sell my DDs stuff on ebay. I have two gorgeous coats on there right now with no watches, no sales, have relisted them several times. $49 for a Grand Prix coat??? really? Oh well. I did sell a pair of Ovation Euroweave jods for $25 I think, cost me $50 new?

I wish there was somewhere easier to sell the kids stuff. The consignment places take such a big hit these items (as they have to to stay in business) and the online boards (bits and barter for ex) never seen to have kids stuff that sells.

Oh and yes I do have saved searches and I absolutely swear by them. I have a constantly running search for "ariat 3" so I can find paddocks for my daughter... and "12s grand prix", her preferred coat brand and size

I usually get things new or gently used for dirt cheap on ebay. I bought dd's RJ classics coat (size 2T) on there for $30 with tags still on it. Lil breeches for just a few dollars.

I usually don't buy anything unless it's 50%+ off retail. And... I won't pay any ridiculous shipping. Usually no more than $5-7 for one piece of clothing. Sellers that charge $10-12 to ship one show shirt are crazy. I buy a ton of stuff on ebay - so I'm pretty picky. But.. I never "need" anything - I just shop and pick up things I'll need/want in the near future.

I have bought and sold on ebay for years, and have found that you have to sell cheap...what it was worth to you new has no bearing on what it is worth used, even in perfect condition. People would rather soend a little more and buy new so they can return it if needed. Clothing has to be at least half the retail price, with shipping, to sell IMO. Ebay is definitely a buyers marketplace. Try bitsandbarter - you might have better luck.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

When I buy on e-bay it better be a great deal, half off or better. For example I got a used but in great condition for under 20.00 including shipping Grand Prix coat and used but in great condition Tailored Sportsman breeches for under 30.00 including shipping.

For my 4-Hers I encourage them to shop e-bay and consignment and to talk to each other for what others have grown out of, maybe contact your local group or lesson barn, they have a fair bit of kids that may need show or schooling clothes.
    Last edited by Burbank; Nov. 30, 2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: somehow forgot to add what was 20.00

Thank you for all the replies so far!
    Good to know about the pricing and shipping. Guess I'll be taking a good hit on these jods. Oh well-they weren't $$ to begin with.

Mayaty, jackets go for peanuts on ebay-I realized that a while ago. Great for us buyers but not for sellers.

One more question, how do y'all spell jodhpurs?! I know that is probably one of the most misspelled equine words.

Agreeing with the others - $30 off retail is a big hit to you, but then I also have to pay $10 for shipping and then I have risk that it won't fit or work, and I can't return. Not to mention that scouring eBay and waiting for the right thing to come along takes a lot of time. For $20, it works better to just buy new.

Jackets especially are the kind of thing that is challenging to fit by mail.

Sad but true, as DD is now in the sizes where there won't be anything used on eBay to buy and has outgrown things that should be passed along. I've decided to just take the hit at the local consignment shop, which is a good one. (On the plus side, she can now shop in my closet. )

You might do better starting very low and getting a bidding war going. Once people have found and are attracted to your item, they may be willing to pay more. But, of course, it is a risk.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I believe you spelled the word correctly!
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

You could use several spellings of jodhpur to capture all the people that misspell it.

I have bought and sold on E-bay for about 10 years. I never have problems selling but I also have 1600 feedback. I've sold boots, jackets, pants, shirts, 3 expensive saddles, bridles, tack, blankets.. you name it. Some brands are easier to sell than others - like tailored sportsman, RJ classics, some Grand Prix coats but not all of them, ariat boots, 2 of the saddles were Antares. If it isn't new then it is considered used.. and used goes for a lot less than new. I also buy on E-bay so I get good deals. One year I bought my daughter a great pair of Vogel boots that were like new for 125.00.

I haven't bought/sold much on ebay recently because of fees and just a general pita feeling with ebay dealings. And count me in the club for those that are lookng for at least 50% off before buying on ebay, unless it's one of those must-must-haves.

I've sold a few things my daughter has outgrown on Virginia Equestrian, and suprisingly had much success on craigslist, both of which are free.

I've bought and sold on tacktrader.com, also free for text ads.

Those looking for little kids clothing might try here:
    http://www.kidsridingclub.com
    Going out of business sale...