The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

How long has Indio been "The Show?"

Back in my day (creak, creak) it was all Del Mar. Indio was where you went to get Date Shakes. Then I moved east, to Land-of-lovely-weather.

When did Indio get to be "it"?

How long has Indio been "The Show?"

Back in my day (creak, creak) it was all Del Mar. Indio was where you went to get Date Shakes. Then I moved east, to Land-of-lovely-weather.

When did Indio get to be "it"?

From my recall of seeing old COTH's and I say my "recall", is that it's been around since the 70's.

I remember a photo in "COTH" or "Horses" of Victor at the 1st facility in an ostrich race. Yes, they use to race ostriches.

Possibly TQ can better answer this question.
    "The best thing for the inside of a man is the outside of a horse" Lord Palmerston

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

We went to Indio around 70/72, but it was called the Date Festival then, I think it was held at a different place than it is held now.

Yes, it was definatly a different venue.
    "The best thing for the inside of a man is the outside of a horse" Lord Palmerston

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I think it was at the fairgrounds--part of the Riverside County Date Festival (hence the shakes). One show, not a multi-week affair. Ran thru at least the early 70's that way--my one remaining Horses mag has an ad for the '74 installment, which is billed at the 28th annual show.

(then I went off to college and then grad school and lost track).

Not sure it existed when I started riding again in the early 80's. At some point people started going to AZ for multiple weeks, and then Indio came back.

There weren't nearly as many A shows 30 years ago as there are now.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Oh my goodness! How funny to see this thread! I remember showing at Indio at the fairgrounds in the hot blowing dust! But I LOVED the DATE SHAKES!!!! MMMMMM. It was in the 70's!

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

Indio for a week, then on to A to Z in Arizona for a week is my recollection.

A to Z = Aid to Zoo.

The current Indio (at the current venue that is) I think began in the mid 80s. Before that it was just a regular show at the fairgrounds. So I think that Indio became "it" in the 80s.
    "Ponies are a socially acceptable form of child abuse." - said by a friend when asked if she was going to find a pony for her 5 year old daughter.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bumpkin:
    Indio for a week, then on to A to Z in Arizona for a week is my recollection.

A to Z = Aid to Zoo. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

my mom was one of the ladies that ran that. she said it was such a great show, too bad it fell apart. i guess it was just huge and such a fun show to go to. Then things got split up into Indio and HITS AZ in Tucson

"Indio" as it is known now began in the early 90's. I showed in Arizona for 6 weeks all through my junior years, the last of which was 88'. At one point the "HITS" shows actually ran in Santa Barbara, at the Earl Warren Fairgrounds.

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

Oh I so remember the nice A to Z ladies. They were the best and so helpful!! There was an entire ciruit and it was huge to say the least. Remember Champ & Linda Hough coming with 40 head. Some of the biggest barns came from Calif. to those shows. Just drolled looking at their horses. Mine was a sweet OTB, just did the low's and had a ball. Boy does anyone remember the hotel, think it was Goodyear, where you could look out and see the rings going. Made keeping track of your classes a breeze http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif Down the grassy slope straight into the show..

Nicklblm are you at Indio?

I feel so old. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/cry.gif

I have a June Fallaw black and white photo of me winning the 14-15 eq. flat class at Indio in 1971. It was in the "other" arena surrounded by huge palm trees. The grandstand arena backed up to the fun zone (so you had a ferris wheel in the background), the containment area for the ostriches and camels that were raced between horse show classes (so you had zoo animals looking over the fence at you), and a working collection of vintage farm machinery that popped and whizzed as you rode past. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif

Yes, even back then, the "Riverside County Fair and Date Festival" horse show (i.e. Indio) was a big wingding of a deal. It was the wintertime A-circuit show.

JUNE FALLOW!!!

I have a photo of me in my FIRST horse show where she was the photographer. I think the signature says Fallow '56, so it was way back when. The photo was at the Oak Brook Horse Show. I think I was third (out of three), but really cute!

1956?

I was barely one year old. Thanks! Now I don't feel quite so old...relatively speaking. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

I'll try and post the old photo. Sorry about the quality! But at least you can see that the arena is scrunched in between the date palms. And surrounded by the portable barns... no doubt the same collection of plywood/canvas portables that are still around today. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif
    Last edited by Merry; Dec. 27, 2006 at 10:47 PM.

Cool photo Merry! The second link doesn't work, but the first one does & it almost looks like a drawing. Sorta' artsy http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif .

I have a ton of June Fallow photos! Ha! Too funny, most of mine were at Del Mar. Another fun show. Used to be held during the fair. We would show all day and ride the rides in the Fun Zone until midnight! It used to be so safe there we slept in the tack room right next to the horses! I hope I never forget the fun we had.

June Fallaw, now that is a name from my old photos.

Hey Merry. great photo of old Indio. That is my leg from the 70's. I have a similar picture.
    Steph

http://community.webshots.com/user/stephanne014

Rerider/Haydunker Clique

RIP Barbaro, you were my hero!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Party Rose:
    Cool photo Merry! The second link doesn't work, but the first one does & it almost looks like a drawing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Well, I deleted the non-working one. You have no idea how hard I've struggled to figure out how to downsize my photos so I can post them. (Just ask So Easy and Erin!) http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif

Yuppers, Del Mar--- the OLD Del Mar--- was a blast, too. We'd also ride the tram from the showbarns to the county fair and back again. And the grandstand would be packed, just like at Indio, with fair goers who'd actually applaud for the winners. Imagine that!