The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I. Can't. Take. It. Anymore.

My dog is literally stinking up the house. And garage.

We had him and our GSD on Nutro Natural Choice Venison Meal & Brown rice, but at the rate they were eating it (6lbs/day/dog) that 30lb bag, at $53, was getting to be too much. They loved it, and the Bulldogge, who is the Gassy Culprit, was allowed to roam freely without disruption.

THEN. Switch #1; I found a better-rated, yet cheaper (YAY!) dog food, that had chicken meal or something of the sort as main ingredient. Gas started. Not "omg it stinks" gas..."OMG OPEN THE DOOR IN IL IN NOVEMBER!" gas. He is banned from sleeping in any bedroom that has people in it.

So, I blame the food. Switch #2: I find another brand that is well-rated that has the Venison meal, thinking it will help. Nope. Still gag-worthy. And during these switches, they were made gradually, I was introducing the new food in increments.

Any advice?? At this point, natural/raw diet isn't feasible. We are temporarily living with my parents, and asking them to feed them raw meat will be...well...not pleasant. The GSD has horribly itchy skin, so I aim for food that is known to improve skin/coat, such as Venison or Lamb. She is not a gassy dog, thankfully.

I'm also wondering if the introduction of Milk Bones could be the culprit. My parents give their (used to be me) dog one as a treat after every meal, and has taken to giving my two one as well. I'm stopping that practice tomorrow, and I'm REALLY hoping that is the culprit of Bulldogge's rank ass.

Any thoughts on the cause? Also, food recommendations from people who also have dealt with a super-smelly dog?

I'm desperate. My febreeze bottle is running low.

You say he's itchy? That makes me think he's allergic to something he's eating. One of my dogs in allergic to a whole host of foods and it took us awhile to find a food that keep the gas down and her constant scratching. She's doing the best on a sweet potato and fish natural dog food. It is on the expensive side but it was that or a bland vet prescription food, which was crazy expensive. Unfortunately, whatever one dog in my house eats, the others do too. I can tell if she eats anything other than her dog food since the horrible gas and scratching returns immediately! Anyways, I'd stay away from any chicken meal; the dog allergist I went to said chicken is one of the highest allergens for dogs, (it's true for my dog). If you can afford it, try to find a food with a minimal amount ingredients and something like sweet potato and/or fish. Every dog is different, but I'd experiment until you find something that works for him.

The GSD is the itchy one, Stinky One is the Bulldogge. We have played around with different foods for the GSD, and we've chalked up her itching to her breed. We have several friends with Shepherd's that have super itchy/dry skin as well. The sensitive skin formula of Venison Meal, thru Nutro, worked well for her, but we literally can't afford to buy a 35lb bag for $53 and have to get a new one every four weeks.

I'm giving the *new* Venison meal food, from Nature's Recipe (much more reasonably priced, bigger bag, and better ingredients than Nutro) a month to kick in. Cross your fingers, lol.

Have you tried Taste of the Wild? I feed the High Prairie formula (Bison and Venison) and the dogs are pretty gas free. plus it's grain free, and may help the itchy dog.

If money's an issue you might try Costco's grain-free salmon kibble. It's called Nature's Domain. It costs less than a dollar a pound.

Ingredients
    Salmon meal, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, potato protein, potato fiber, natural flavor, flaxseed, ocean fish meal, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

CALORIE CONTENT
    3,590 kcals/kg (336 kcals/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy

Guaranteed Analysis
    Crude Protein 24.0% minimum
    Crude Fat 14.0% minimum
    Crude Fiber 3.0% maximum
    Moisture 10.0% maximum
    Zinc 150 mg/kg
    minimum
    Selenium 0.4 mg/kg
    minimum
    Vitamin E 150 IU/kg minimum
    Omega-6 Fatty Acids* 2.4% minimum
    Omega-3 Fatty Acids* 0.3% minimum
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

OOh I'm diggin' the Costco food!! But right now, we're nowhere near a damn Costco. Go figure.

I haven't heard of Taste of the Wild, but I will look into it!

Well, I know it's not grain free, but my dogs do fabulously on Eukanuba Lamb & Rice. I've had all my dogs on it for years and no complaints.

I feed the Taste of the Wild prairie formula as well. Love it. And my dog doesn't stink.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Taste of the Wild is available at Tractor Supply stores; good stuff. But you might want to try a good probiotic supplement first (or even some good quality yogurt) for better digestive health...that may have more of an effect that switching foods around again.

This isnt' going to help itchy dog. But for smelly dog, try pro-biotics, no more milk bones (no treats at all, frankly), and chlorophyll tablets twice daily.

It could be the GSD is itchy because of an environmental allergy not a food allergy...Regular professional bathing with a good blowout of the undercoat would also help. Bulldogs are gassy, due to the head conformation resulting in air gulping. Also, make sure the folds of his face are cleaned regularly...I would suggest that you let whatever food you select have a month or two to work before switching again...avoid soy if you can, that can make them quite gassy..Milkbones I believe contain a high amount of soy..If you stick with raw, eggs and certain vegetables can cause gas in certain dogs....Hope this helps. If the itchiness continues I would make an appt with the vet..To assume it is a food allergy could be a mistake, and a common one at that.

Quote Originally Posted by runNjump86 View Post
    35lb bag for $53 and have to get a new one every four weeks.
    I try to stay away from food recommendations....but I WISH I had this problem. I'm going through 29 lbs of Orijen (at $62/bag) every TWO weeks! Ack!

Tractor Supply 4Health. Good quality food for a great price. 40lb bag for $29.99. Even my itchy ones do very well on it allergy wise. Allergies are odd thngs. They add up, so it may be a combo of environmental and food allergies, but there's a tipping point, so if you remove the easy possible triggers you may just calm everything down to a level so that you get no allergic reaction.

Mine have been gassy from time to time. I just add Probios to their dog food (you know, the powder in a jar from the tack store). Makes a HUGE difference.

Get a fecal done too. Sometimes hookworms can be hard to detect. Use dog food for treats. No rawhide bones, etc.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    I feed the Taste of the Wild prairie formula as well. Love it. And my dog doesn't stink.
    Us too. We used to have 3 different dog foods for 4 dogs then found this stuff and was able to put both food allergic dogs on it as well as the 2 normal's

Now I am really curious about Costco's dog food! Never paid it much attention. We pay $43 at TSC or Hollywood feed for the Taste of the Wild. We use about 8 cups day between our gang... 2 bags a month or so I think.

Another Taste of the Wild Prairie user chiming in. All of my dogs (Border Collie Mix, Aussie mix, and Belgian Malinois mix) have lovely, soft coats, no itches, and smell better than they used to. The Aussie blows out her coat in under a week now, all at once, instead of patches over several weeks like she used to. The Belgian grew up on the food from the very beginning, and my vet has always been thrilled with his condition.

The only issue I've had with it is the lamb formula, which made the poor BC itch like crazy after just a day of it being introduced.

The other three formulas they do fine on, but they all seem to like the Prairie the best.

Our Pit was that way. Horrible rancid gas that would make you run outside gasping for air. Switching to Taste of the Wild, and getting him an anti-bloat slow feed bowl has totally fixed it. We call it his fart bowl! LOL. If he is able to gulp the food down without chewing it, the gas he gets is horrendous. But if he has to go slow and chew - NO GAS!

Default I'll second

I have one that tends to have gas (not as bad as you are describing though). I give both of mine a spoon full of plain yogurt with their dinner every night.

On a cute aside, all I have to do is go "Ppweww!" and she gets up and leaves the room.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

I have fed my rotties Taste of the Wild in the past and they have done well with it.

Right now, I'm feeding Nature's Variety Instinct which is a grain free food but more pricey than TOTW. I'm only feeding one dog right now...if I have multiples, I would probably go back to TOTW.

Aren't all dogs gassy ? Some breeds more than others, like our Boxer.
    Our Greyhound didn't seem as bad. We feed the Costco food and Summit (BC)
    but they like the Summit way better.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Aren't all dogs gassy ? Some breeds more than others, like our Boxer.
    Our Greyhound didn't seem as bad. We feed the Costco food and Summit (BC)
    but they like the Summit way better.
    Mine aren't. If I smell something I know they need a poop walk, immediately.