The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question So which do you like - Muck Boots or Bogs??

I've had Muck boots for years - practically lived in them last winter between the mud and the snow, but I need a new pair (the lining is rubbing away in the heel - eats socks and rubs my heel now) and folks are mentioning the new Bogs Boots. Any experiences/opinions you want to share??
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I've never tried Bogs, but I too live in Mucks, my pair a few years old now and still going but on their way out.... so I just treated myself to a new pair.

They've made a subtle redesign to the footbed, its more contoured and supportive and they've upgraded the lining. And they seem to have put a bit of a mustang roll on the toe area, they're easier to walk in, they feel less clunky.

these are the ones I've had for ever
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/-701509899

I just got these
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/-701514...ootwear_PRODZ1
    I was afraid my wide calves wouldn't fit in them, but they stretch nicely and I don't get that sucked on feeling either. Very comfortable and lightweight for what they are.

and I chose them over these, I have wide feet and a bunion that is starting to really hurt me. Though I preferred the look of the wetland boot, I found it has a much more narrow footbed and the big knubby sole is much more clunky feeling and the boot over all felt heavier.
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/-715197...ootwear_PRODZ1

I'm also shocked how warm my new Mucks are. I'm very pleased with them, which is saying something as I really love my original ones.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    An adorable photography book, makes a perfect gift.

I have Bogs and I LOVE THEM!!
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Haven't tried BOGS, but LOVE my Mucks, have the chore boot, that's going into it's 3rd winter, complete with -40* days, and they do well. Have just scored a pair of Brit Colts to ride in and I'm so in love with them, they looked so scarily slim and elegant in the box, but slid on over my enormous calves without an ounce of effort. We haven't had any really cold weather yet, but I am very impressed all around.
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

I love my Muck Boots...I have the "chore" boot.

Bogs = awesome. I think there was a very recent topic on just this subject if you do a search.

Have had both like them both equally, but had problem with both of them cracking but that didn't seem to effect the inside so it's just cosmetic, but who can tell through all the mud
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

I haven't tried the bogs, but I have found the Muck boots hold up much longer than other similar boots. Like 4 or 5 years vs. 1 or less.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

I'm on my third winter with Bogs and they still look really good. Haven't tried Muck Boots.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Default have 2 pairs of muck boots and 1 pair of muck shoes

The boots don't have much support, maybe your newer ones do. Make me feel like I'm out there in bedroom slippers. Shoes have a little more, but they're useless in mud.

I like my Bogs. Bought them last year. I selected them over Muck Boots as they fit the narrowest, and I have narrow feet and ankles. I did add insoles to improve fit and warmth. Mine come up mid calf, and have the little holes in the sides to help pull them up.

They are too warm to wear as summer mud boots, but were great all winter and spring, and stay on very well. I find them comfortable enough to wear when taking the dog out on winter hikes.

I have clients who have had Muck Boots and switched to Bogs as they felt the Bogs were more comfortable and pliant through the ankle, particularly when it got cold.

When/if these Bogs wear out, I will definately be buying another pair!

I love, love, love my Muck Brit Colts!

I checked around locally and couldn't find Bogs near me, so when I had to take a trip to the vet's I stopped in at the feed store where I've gotten the Muck boots before and went ahead a bought another pair of the Edgewaters. This is my third pair and I've been satisfied with the others. The lining of the heel is just rubbed away, but considering the miles I log in the boots, that's no fault of theirs. FWIW - I can use mine year round here in OK between the rain/mud/snow. My feet are toasty warm in the winter and cool enough in the summer. I thought the price of $77 no tax, was pretty good, too!! I'm back in action now!! The last two mornings - temps in the low 20's - the frost has been like snow. (Darn that word!!) Thanks for the input!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Have had the same problem with Muck boots and now have purchased Bogs. Too soon to tell, but they are comfortable and seem sturdy...

I have a pair of Muck boots that are probably 13 years old. They aren't always the warmest and the soles are very flat, but they still keep my feet dry. They are really ugly too. I think about $65 back then.

Last December I bought a pair of Bogs. They have a heel on them, they are super comfortable and a little warmer in the toes. A little narrower and taller than the Muck boots. I wore them regularly from about January to April. This past October I wore them to work for the first time since I had put them away for the summer. I stepped in a puddle while putting horses outside. Foot got cold and wet. There is a crack in the top of the right boot, by the baby toe. I don't recall getting stepped on or anything. $80 or $90. I'm a little annoyed. If you had asked last winter I probably would have told you I liked them better.

I have the super thick Muck Boots. I love them, but they're *too* warm if I'm doing much of anything and its above 40F. I have cheapie rain boots for warmer temps. I drove a carriage in a downtown setting and stood for hours on end in the Muck Boots and they kept my feet toasty warm and were comfortable to stand in.

I'd probably not buy the super warm ones again. I mostly got those because of driving the carriage, but I'd definitely get a lighter pair.

I want a pair like I bought off of TOTD several yrs ago. Mid height with a wide top 'because!' I could put them on by stepping into them, and the top was wide enough to catch my pant legs and keep them clean! Stepping into them made them easy to drop at the back door and not worry about having to put them right back on again. I did not have to sit down, nor pull them on by hand - no stooping! no bending! And the foot bed was comfy and held the boot well in place. I could walk in them all day they fit so good. They were green, probably from England, but I've not seen another pair like them since.
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

I've had my Bogs for probably 5 or 6 years now. My boyfriend got me a new pair 2 years ago because they were blue and prettier than the old plain black ones (I didn't have the heart to tell him that you can't really see the boot through the mud, anyway). I gave my old pair to my mom (we are the same size), and she still wears them. They're wonderful for keeping feet toasty warm.

Absolutely love my Bogs. And I love all the great colors to choose from and the fact they fit a womens foot so well. The Muck boots were too wide for me but I am pretty tiny.

Love my Bogs (Rider model). I'm going into my third winter with them but use them year-round, whenever it's wet. The higher shaft is great because it keeps bedding from getting in when I'm cleaning stalls, and the tread pattern picks up almost no muck at all. They actually saved my bacon right after I bought them, when I slipped on ice and fell in the parking lot of the local show facility and broke my ankle. There was just enough stiffness to them that I only broke one leg bone when my leg shot out from under me. DH still laughs at me because I refused to let the emergency department nurse cut my boot off and somehow managed to wriggle free.