The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

no pics but I got on my 3 yr old Donavan filly for the first time today. My sons do the first backings - so she has had a rider on her 3 times before today.

I longline her about once a week - but just had to get on today. She was great. No issues at all with the weight on her back or the legs.

so easy going.

Congrats Bravestorm!! I love the first time getting up there. Every time I back a youngster for the first time I can't help but think...of all the rides, shows, trails and adventures this horse will go on in his life I was the very first to sit atop him :-)

My little girl got dropped off for boot camp today (sniff sniff :-(). I trust this dressage trainer immensely and I think she's going to do a lovely job with her. Willa is going walk/trot Amd stretching into contact. She's moving off my seat for steering and is super rhythmic now. I'm hoping our trainer can work on getting her more reactive off my leg in upward transitions as well as teach her to canter in a ring. We've got the out in a field canter down but she's a trainwreck in the ring.

My favorite thing about this trainer is she trains them dressage (she's GP and very well know for her lovely correct horses) but every day after dressage they she hacks them out on trails, over little obstacles and...through cows :-). Talk about a full education! :-D. I can't wait to see her again and I miss my little bugger so much already!!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Well my new mare has settled right in. I've been treating her with UlcerGard and her appetite and general demeanor has picked up, finally.

I've not done a ton with her thus far, as she is pretty stiff/sore though looks better after a little free longing and the chance to really move and stretch. She doesn't tend to do very much in turnout when left to her own devices, just hang out and munch.

I did hop on her last week just to see what was there, but she was quite lame at the trot and was more comfortable walking or cantering. So we didn't do too much. Here's a pic from our ride:

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/u...4/DSC03371.jpg

She's a total love though and immensely enjoys grooming and generally being the center of attention. She is quite sweet and polite and just generally easy to handle. She has one of the nicest dispositions I've come across in a long time.

I'm going slow with her and trying to give her body the opportunity to reset itself. Also her feet are quite unbalanced and it is going to take a few cycles to get them right, I have no doubt this is a big source of the body soreness.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Ooooh, Flash, she's purdy ;-) I like!

Both my greenies are going undersaddle now. I send the coming 4yo puny warmblood (Case [ComeBack II]) up to my friend up north to be started in the bush - bush/trail riding all the way. He had a rough start earlier, and was pretty defensive and untrusting and a real "NO" horse ...for about 2 days.

Now he's been out on the trail a few times, has crossed a "creek", argues a bit about direction change to the right (going right is uncomfortable for him at the moment), but is thinking he's pretty special right now .... he's the only horse who's EVER carried a rider, you know... Silly beast.

He is in a running martingale, adjusted long, only because he had a tendancy to get his head wayyy in the air and take away any ability for control. I'm told he's almost ready to come out of it. He's not getting lunged/roundpenned anymore, after less than 2 weeks riding, just get on, warm up in the small pen, and then out on the trail. He's so physically immature it'll probably be a couple more years before we can do too much by way of arena work...He still looks like a freaking yearling, but whatdya do. He'll be 4 in June.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=3&theater

Here is a somewhat lengthy (5 min or so) video of him...includes bridling and unbridling (where he haltered his own self...haha)... the footing is not brilliant, but it's Alberta in April so it is what it is.
    http://youtu.be/yQrck2LXDmQ

As for the OTTB, h'es had a chunk of time off due to my being swamped with work and life and lambing at a friends, and also due to a brief lameness on his part that manifested about 2 weeks after he got run into by another horse in the arena.... One chiropractor visit fixed that, and then he sat again because of my scheduling. Yeesh. Got back on him a couple times randomly, and then again last night. It just plain felt great to be on him again.

Good nights
    Last edited by BoldChance; Jun. 2, 2012 at 09:53 AM.
    *&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
    "Show me the back of a thoroughbred horse, and I will show you my wings."
    &*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&

I am finally going to try to play. I am computer challenged, but I finally got photos of my girl to TRY to link. She was purchased from the breeder unstarted at the end of Oct as a long 4 year old. These are pictures of her with my trainer on a cold, windy day after 2 days off. She is little, just like I wanted. I am about 3" shorter then my trainer, but with the same length leg, so I think we fit. She is a little hot, very forward and a complete love. There were taked after ~ 4 months of training. http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o543/hilarifleming/ I hope the link works.

So between me being out of town last weekend and all the rain/storms we've been getting where I am, I've been able to work my 4 y.o. a grand total of 3 times in the past 2 weeks. He's started flipping his head up somewhat during lunging (no side reins), and even more while riding. He has his moments of brilliance of going forward and into some contact, but then sucks back and starts flipping his head. So my goal is to get him to consistently move forward and into some contact. I just tried side reins while lunging on Monday, but I never got to get on him because of yet another thunderstorm. Just frustrated with the weather. I'm reminding myself that this will get better.
    I still need to get pics of me riding. I hope that will happen sooner rather than later.

I'll be removing myself from this thread. My Morgan mare, Bella, broke a leg during the tornado. We made the difficult decision to put her down yesterday. :-(

Best of luck to you and your greenies.

janiemarie, im SO sorry for your loss thats devastating. jingles for you.

My condolences jainemerle. I'm very sorry.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

so sorry for your loss

How heartbreaking

janie, So incredibly sorry for your loss.

Lady, when was the last time he had his teeth floated? Does he only do it when its sunny? Have you noticed him doing it in the field? Rex is doing this tooth & seems to be triggered by allergies. He works through it on the lunge in about 10-15 mins. Has signs of head shaking syndrome except he gets better with work.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

janiemerle, so sorry for your loss.

KrazyTBMare, Criss' teeth were floated about 6 months ago according to his previous owner. The vet is coming out on Monday for spring shots and I'll have him check his teeth. He's done it in all kinds of weather (clouds, sun, breezy, no wind). The pollen has been pretty bad so far this spring. My car started having a yellow tint in late February, right after I brought him home. I haven't noticed him doing it in the field, but I may have to sit there longer and just watch him. You've given me a few things to think about. Thanks!

I am finally commenting here, as I've taken my three year old up to my boarding barn and have officially "started" his training. I would love to hear opinions of Aries:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3546815...01/7060894293/

He came from one of our rescues, as a long yearling with no handling and only bad human experiences. We've worked through a lot of his trust issues and he's progressing rapidly now that we're in training. He's gone from running to the back of a pen if you came within 50 feet of his pen to coming up and seeking attention, and I'm very excited about him.

The only video of him and his movement I really have is a "play time" one that includes some spectacular bucks and that lovely, coming 3 year old "woah I can't figure out my feet" canter (I especially love when he "pepe le pew's) But it's fun to watch:

http://youtu.be/P9aSGHhsJ1o

and I just love this one from last fall:

http://youtu.be/2sjDXhNTPjI

And here he is all shedded out, from last summer (2 year old), so he doesn't look like a big wooly mammoth:

http://youtu.be/kVjmYOZzKTk

and showing he has some lateral reach when he wants too LOL:

http://youtu.be/F-lloo2DPuQ

Can't wait to update! He's had a saddle pad on, and I'll be introducing a saddle soon.
    If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
    ~ Maya Angelou

Just wanted to give an update on my 10yr old "greenie". I was lucky enough to take a lesson on friday, and basically all of my thoughts were verbalized. New mare is spoiled rotten and used to calling the shots.

We focused on simply trotting a 20m circle and riding Miss Mare "in the chanel" (between hand and leg). I'm a genius at becoming very wonky in my hands to "help" horsey along, so she should really really help out the wonkky hands.

On another note, miss mare is a confirmed leg mover. Please tell me there is hope that she will eventually learn to use her body?!?

No canter yet, still working on relaxed and forward in the trot and starting over groundpoles. I'm super happy with this horse and cannot wait to see where we are in 6 months

At a very well needed time, my coming 4 y/o mare, impressed the heck out of me yesterday.
    We had a wonderful ride in the 100X200 grass ring and even went on her first hack, mind you it was short.

She really must have been bored from the indoor because she was so responsive and despite being 'UP' when we started out she settled right into work.

I was just starting to second guess her talent and heart. I am really unsure if I can ever sell her now... LOVE those days.

We are on a saddle hunt... it sucks. I can't ride in mine to save my life, on Rascal, and it turns out that's partly because it doesn't fit him. Stinkin' thoroughbred has a TB wither but big wide shoulders.

So I've been trying saddles, and have a saddle fitter coming tomorrow with more.

In the meantime, we video'd him in two I brought home from the tack store, and then rode in both of my trainers (KN and Kentaur) saddles, both of which I LOVE, for comparison purposes.

It's a frustrating battle, and I am not thrilled, nor do I have the budget for this. But it is what it is.

The video is nothing special, and I'm mostly just cruisin' and not doing much with him in it, so he's definitely gaining some consistency

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nV4y5o4Sh8
    *&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
    "Show me the back of a thoroughbred horse, and I will show you my wings."
    &*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&

So the vet came on Monday for spring shots and checked out Criss to make sure everything is ok. Teeth are fine for at least 6 months, so its onto figuring out other causes for the head flipping. The little bit of swelling on his hock hasn't really gone away, so the vet flexed him and out didn't get any pain response. It appears to be related to an old injury where must have ripped open the front of his leg pretty bad and damaged both the hock joint capsule and coronet band. No idea how long ago the injury was but he hasn't shown any sign of lameness while working. So I'll continue to work through that and make sure the swelling doesn't get any worse. I'm hopeful that lunging in side reins will translate into keeping his head still while I'm riding him.

Frustrated with my horse right now -_-
    She's got such a "marey" attitude to working. Spend SO long fighting, by the time she quits her shenanigans (jibbing, backing, racing etc) she's dripping in sweat. My trainer says I have to just work her through it, which I do, but some days like today she's just SO argh and I can't help but think WHY do I bother!?
    And then I have one of those AMAZING rides where she goes like a dream and I get the big fancy trot and the lovely soft mare I know I have. But jees, I wish I'd get those rides more often! Today was just.. argh.

At least she looks good standing in the paddock :-/

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...25171321_n.jpg

I feel like I am actually making progress with my 7yo ASB gelding finally:

He flunked out of a Saddlebred show barn program, but was shown fine harness as a 3 year old. I got him as a 6 year old after he was on little to no turnout as a 2 year old. I went from turning him out 1 hour a day to slowly increasing turnout time until he was on full turnout with our horses in our 40 acre field. he loved it! I started working with him 8 months later and brought him to school with me this year. We had a rocky start, and I just THOUGHT I was limited on resources. When I started figuring stuff about and realized that I was doing a lot of stuff wrong, I backed up and went to square 1 and the VERY basics. I spent 6 months long lining and working him in-hand and also rehabilitating his hollowed out back. I put him on 3-4 months ago I started him on tri-amino and magnesium and he has calmed down a LOT and his neck has doubled size and he is muscling up SUPERBLY. I am now easing into riding him a few days a week, and taking lessons on him one of those days. Though, since his back is still weak I am only riding him maybe 15 minutes at a time. He is slowly but surely getting there! He is starting to stretch down and into the bridle, which I am very proud of because that was SO MUCH WORK with him having previously been trained in saddleseat.

This was last spring, when I was just starting to play with him, working on his sensitivity, and also longggg before I could get some weight on him...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...c/IMG_0027.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...c/IMG_0030.jpg

Here first time giving him a carrot, he didn't really know what to do...
    http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...t=IMG_0036.mp4

And right after I pulled his mane for the first time:
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...c/IMG_0216.jpg

In November, looking a little better:
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...c/IMG_0231.jpg

And here he is now, looking pretty freaking sharp:
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...43241889_n.jpg

I'm sooo prouddddd. I am learning a lot. We are learning a lot together, which is really fun. He is doing really well under saddle. He tries so hard as long as he knows what I am asking for. He is much less sensitive and is getting braver, and actually RELAXES. I am in no hurry as far as shows and stuff goes. My trainer thinks he'll be a fancy dressage horse one day, I just can't be in a hurry at ALL which is hard... its teaching me patience though!! I am also taking lessons on a 13 yo Westfalen schoolmaster, who is teaching me a lot as a rider and so I know what "correct" feels like for when I ride my boy.

Most importantly, chiro has really done a great job adjusting him and his back is SO MUCH straighter... might be getting somewhere now!!

Rough start, a lot of COTHers yelled at me before... lol... but I think we're getting somewhere Even though I am unsure if he will be a star, I am learning a lot working with him, and I am really loving him and giving him a good life at the least. Letting him be a horse and happy. He was not happy at all when I got him.

Best of wishes everyone on your little greenies
    You only have to let the soft animal of your body / love what it loves
    "Wild Geese" by Mary Oliver