The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Superminion, your mare sounds like mine, although she is no relative, she is by Lancaster. Both she and her half-sister by Art Deco are now off for the winter, which is why they are both woefully under-educated for their ages. Wasn't able to meet my goal of getting the Lancaster mare (who is 8 now) cantering before winter set in, but it wasn't her fault, she needs her teeth done and find a saddle she likes first. On the lunge she throws her head up and swings her quarters in during the canter transition, and as I can't guarantee she is comfortable I wasn't going to start upping the ante to cantering under saddle. This horse is a princess drama queen - if she's comfortable she's lovely and willing, but the slightest discomfort and she grinds to a halt and tries to bite my legs, threatens bucking and rearing. Her younger sister is much more laid-back and as a result is further along in her training.
    This no riding for the winter is very frustrating so I am looking forward to spring!
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines.

Ooops, cyber gremlins.
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines.

I haven't had any pics taken since my show in November. I'm horrible. The only recent pics of Criss were taken by my SO's mother when the family came down over the holidays. I don't even have a copy of them.

Anyway, I had a lesson on Friday that I wish I had pics of. We put a single ground pole down along the rail just to see what Criss would do. Well, color me surprised when he decided he wanted to jump it! He did that at both the trot and canter. Oy, I haven't jumped anything in years. My instructor said his form was really nice though.

I would have tried to get pics today, but its raining. There goes riding for the next couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooty View Post
    Superminion, your mare sounds like mine, although she is no relative, she is by Lancaster. Both she and her half-sister by Art Deco are now off for the winter, which is why they are both woefully under-educated for their ages. Wasn't able to meet my goal of getting the Lancaster mare (who is 8 now) cantering before winter set in, but it wasn't her fault, she needs her teeth done and find a saddle she likes first. On the lunge she throws her head up and swings her quarters in during the canter transition, and as I can't guarantee she is comfortable I wasn't going to start upping the ante to cantering under saddle. This horse is a princess drama queen - if she's comfortable she's lovely and willing, but the slightest discomfort and she grinds to a halt and tries to bite my legs, threatens bucking and rearing. Her younger sister is much more laid-back and as a result is further along in her training.
    This no riding for the winter is very frustrating so I am looking forward to spring!
    They do sound wicked similar! Willow reacts just like that.

Our ride on Friday was *almost* a total failure. She decided that there were MONSTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on the far side of the arena and would. not. move. for. anything. She just stood there, staring. Nevermind the fact that she has to walk though that bit everyday to go out to play. *sigh* I finally had to wallop her one on the bum and she decided that for the rest of our ride, she would be showing how she could do lovely trot extensions. *eyeroll*

I haven't dared canter her, as our trot work still resembles a drunken monkey steering one of those huge fire trucks. She's so lovely that I keep reminding myself that once spring/summer comes around she'll be much easier to get going (as we'll have a larger arena... 30X40 is HARD to work in. It's two strides down the long side, one stride on the short...).

I'm tempted to take her out on the trail with a friend so I can get some decent trot work, however I'm not sure how brave I want to be! She sometimes forgets what WHOA DAMNIT means when she gets really excited.

It's great to see somebody in the same boat... right down to the boot biting! Seriously. I have teeth marks in my tall boots from the wenchbag!
    Last edited by Superminion; Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:27 PM. Reason: grammer
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    They do sound wicked similar! Willow reacts just like that.

Our ride on Friday was *almost* a total failure. She decided that there were MONSTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on the far side of the arena and would. not. move. for. anything. She just stood there, staring. Nevermind the fact that she has to walk though that bit everyday to go out to play. *sigh* I finally had to wallop her one on the bum and she decided that for the rest of our ride, she would be showing how she could do lovely trot extensions. *eyeroll*

I'm very familiar with this issue...i found this video incredibly helpful in dealing with the "Scary" side of the arena (or any area a horse is scared of habitually). Let them hang out and rest there...and it'll quickly become their favorite side of the arena!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMpRcDqyKQU

Superminion, 30 x 40? Geez that's teeny, I can understand your frustration. And I hear you on the Mommyhood infringing on ride time!

I'm so glad this thread has been revived. My lovely TB mare had a rough end to summer, and the fall was no better. We moved to a new barn, which is fabulous, and for the first time ever I have access to a great trainer, and great facilities. However, she's been lame for most of it.

After multiple vet evals and all kinds of up and down and lame and sound and stress we found she has sesamoiditis in the left hind as well as an old lesion on her suspensory. She is pretty darn sound on bute and careful turnout (no bad footing, no galloping like mad or getting goofy.) After her last lameness eval I said ok I'm just not doing anything with her for awhile and we'll see what happens.

Saturday I got the itch to ride so climbed aboard. She had only been ridden 2x in the last 2 months, and they were only short spins for the vet. She was fresh... but forward, fun and wanting to work. She felt sounder than she has in a long time, and I am cautiously (maybe foolishly) hopeful.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmydutch View Post
    i found this video incredibly helpful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMpRcDqyKQU
    except there's this big guy with big spurs sitting down on the back of a 2 yr old doing tight circles & spirals ...
    wonder what he thinks a clamped tail means in "horse talk" ???

Not to single you out lmd but I just can't manage some of what this guy does

ETA
    Sorrry almost forget to say how absolutely lovely your new girl looks

I agree that I don't believe in riding horses in small circles at 2 years old.

That being said, i've had several horses started by cowboys in a similar fashion at 3 years old with no problems at all.

The big spurs aren't being used on the young horse. This trainer is world renowned and excellent at his job. I'm a big fan of the cowboy training for starting young horses. They need to be good citizens before they can be good dressage horses (or jumpers, eveners, reiners, whatever). This trainer is excellent at breaking down his methods into easy to understand pieces...and explaining them. He is like the Jane Savoie of cowboys and is basically a clone of Clinton Anderson...although I think this guy is better at explaining than Clinton Anderson.

And thanks for the kind words about Brigada We have a long way to go but every time i ride her she improves more and more (in large part because we have been working on relaxation using cowboy techniques on the buckle before we get down to "Dressage" work and schooling figures.) She came to me with significant confidence issues as a result of limited handling as a youngster.

1 members found this post helpful.

I love the concept of what he's doing. Even though the gate is at the 'scary' end of the arena (sometimes... it all depends on which way the wind is blowing...) I could still apply the same idea. Except last night when the whole arena was full of MONSTERS!!!!!!! :eyeroll: I pick my battles and just lunged her.

I don't agree with riding a 2 year old, but it's pretty common in Quarter Horse-land. Same as with the race horses.

I agree with you, dutch that it's always good to install the 'brain' first. Once you have a horse that is willing to work with you, instead of fighting you every step of the way, the movements and figures seem to come much easier. Good luck with your girl!

Flash- You have no idea! We'll get rolling with a nice trot, then it's time to bank the corner and it all goes to hell. I work on lots of transitions, though, so I try to make every ride effective. The care there is amazing, so the pros outweigh the cons by a long shot. DH wants to start talking about baby #2 and I just think "but. but. but. What about training Willow! That's another million months that I'm not doing anything with her... and she's already 8!"
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    I love the concept of what he's doing. Even though the gate is at the 'scary' end of the arena (sometimes... it all depends on which way the wind is blowing...) I could still apply the same idea. Except last night when the whole arena was full of MONSTERS!!!!!!! :eyeroll: I pick my battles and just lunged her.

I don't agree with riding a 2 year old, but it's pretty common in Quarter Horse-land. Same as with the race horses.

I agree with you, dutch that it's always good to install the 'brain' first. Once you have a horse that is willing to work with you, instead of fighting you every step of the way, the movements and figures seem to come much easier. Good luck with your girl!
    If you like the scary end of the arena video, you may also like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG5DhgEbiDk

Might not help your issue, but I like having these concepts in my back pocket to work through stuff with a youngster. Mine has major confidence issues and is a major spook. Using these techniques has changed her entire attitude both when she's being worked and when she's at liberty. Once they build confidence with one situation, and keep building their confidence with more situations...their confidence in their world grows so much.

Best of luck Sounds like our horses are pretty similar!

I love all Warwick's stuff.. I may or may not have spent a few hours last night watching them.

IMO you can never have enough tools in your box when working with greenbeans. They are each so different, it's good to be able to pull on a variety of methods to get them going along.

Thank you! Good luck to you as well, I look forward to future updates.

The dirt ball otherwise known as Criss.
    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...55614781_n.jpg

I need to get someone to take pics while riding. I wish I had pics of Criss jumping over the single ground pole during lesson on Friday.

Well, I guess I didnt have enough green horses to muck about with this year and went out and got another one--meet "the new guy" (his registered name is Rhythm Royale--and Im tempted to just call him "Roy"). Roy is a four year old ranch raised TB, never been raced, never been away from the place he was born till he came to live with me. Roy is pretty much about as raw as they come--zippo training outside of basic handling but so far proving to be a very 'right minded,' agreeable fellow and willing to cooperate with all this 'new stuff'. Im really happy with him--think he is going to be a really cool horse to work with even though Im never giving up my short fat Connemara Pony.

Anyhow this is Roy the day he got here (roy is still a colt and we are just giving him time to settle in before starting any kind of a program--I can't wait to get him cleaned up properly and sporthorseified): https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1903725&type=1

goodpony, congratulations! I'm not on FB so I can't seeeeeee - wwaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Goodpony ... oh my goodness that horse is GORGEOUS. I am drooling on my keyboard. Chestnut with chrome is my favoritteee

Goodpony... I want one! The Chrome! The TROT! I'm having heart palpation's.

Roy's a cutie alright--my husband and I both really like him. He seems like the 'total package' even with his stuff still on. We looked at about 14 youngsters--all TBs and this one just really took my eye-(there were others that were quite nice prospects)-but there was something extra special about Roy. Roy also moves quite a bit better than I anticipated too-he seems to have a very active hind leg/nice big hip--so seems very promising especially for a TB. I also liked his big more uphill frame and he does have a very nice walk that should score well--think he is going to be special.

goodpony, so gorgeous! I, too, love his hind end action. I had that feeling with my greenie, Criss, when I went to look at him. I looked at 4 or 5 other horses before seeing him (saw another horse on the same day). I just saw something in his videos that made me really want to try him out. So off I went to TN, hoping that I'd see the same thing in person. And I was so lucky that I did! Best I can figure is that it was something in his eyes that just told me he was the right one. Sometimes you just know!

Here's a video of my Lipizzan mare with 3 months under saddle: http://youtu.be/TRdvxwPqJpE

She has come such a long way. When I got her she had been out in a big herd so very little human contact. Lots of groundwork and long-lining really helped to get her confidence up. I love this breed..so smart and fun to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by bkkone View Post
    Here's a video of my Lipizzan mare with 3 months under saddle: http://youtu.be/TRdvxwPqJpE

She has come such a long way. When I got her she had been out in a big herd so very little human contact. Lots of groundwork and long-lining really helped to get her confidence up. I love this breed..so smart and fun to work with.
    She looks great!!!

I have a 2008 lipizzan mare with similar confidence issues. I would love to hear how you worked through your girl's issues...she seems so relaxed! Feel free to PM me