The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What name to use on a saddle nameplate?

I recently bought a nice older Stubben and have decided to put a nameplate on it. My question is, do I use my horse's name or my own???

I used my first and middle name because I use the saddle on multiple horses and I figured my last name will probably change at some point. If I only used the saddle on a horse I was keeping for the long haul then I would have probably put that horses name on it but however you want to do it is perfectly fine!

Depends on how your barn functions.

My saddles have my first two initials and my last name on them (my name is really long). My saddles are different brands and my grooms know which saddles go on which horse, so it's not a big thing. But I know of barns that have staff that changes a lot or different people at home than are on the road, so they usually have the owner's last name and the horse(s) name that they use on the plate as well. So if you do your own tacking or have a consistent staff, your name would be fine. If not, put your horse(s) name(s) on as well.
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

My saddle has my name on it. That is what I think is most common. But you can do whatever makes you happier. I don't think it is too hard to get a new plate put on.
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

My husband probably hopes my last name will not change, so no problem there. But I have two horses, and my daughter also rides them. I am leaning towards using my name though, but I am curious what most people do.

Unless my horse pays for the saddle, my name goes on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQNutter
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!
    SillyHorse adds: Or your wine.

I have the acronym 'HTFU' on mine, as a reminder. (Feel free to Google, if you dare.)

Of course, I'm the only one in the barn with a Crosby PDN, and we have a small group of riders.
    The dude abides ...

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Unless my horse pays for the saddle, my name goes on it.
    Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1 View Post
    I have the acronym 'HTFU' on mine, as a reminder. (Feel free to Google, if you dare.)

Of course, I'm the only one in the barn with a Crosby PDN, and we have a small group of riders.
    Consider it Googled.

Mine has my maiden name on it since I've had the name plate (although not the saddle) since before I was married. If I were to get a new nameplate I would just get my first name since it's an uncommon name and my married name isn't very "pretty."

I've seen people with many horses have their nameplates numbered, like "Johnson 1" and "Johnson 2" and so forth. I've really only seen this for pros or pony/junior jocks who ride a lot of horses.

My second saddle has no name plate, but it is a different brand. If I had two saddles of the same brand I would probably number them with my first name.

Last name. We have a few different saddles and it's just easier that way, they're not as much "mine" as they are "my family's." Even if the situation was different I would probably just put my last name, or my first initial and last name.

Opus1, a family friend of mine had a plate on the back of her old western saddle that said "sit down, shut up, and hold on!"

I have my first and last name on my nameplate, since I am the only one who uses my saddle.

Traveling between Bloomington and the South Shore

event_ryder you just seriously made me laugh! That's great, love it haha.

One saddle just has my name and the other saddle has the horse it belongs to me on it and my last name. I bought that saddle specifically for him. As for the rest of the tack, all my bridles and such have the horse's barn name and my last name.

I named my horse "George" when he was a baby (read: long before I met my SO). My SO's last name is George. We've been discussing getting engaged for some time now, and I giggle when I think that after I get married and change my last name, on George's saddle my nameplate can just say "George" and cover all bases. LOL.

I have my first and last name but I have seen some with only a first name, though I feel like that only works if you have an unusual first name.

I have always put my last name on my saddles but I have decided not to put a nameplate on my new Bates since I am always reselling and buying new saddles.

I would love to know if there was a way to put on a nameplate without glue or screws.

By the way... I highly recommend this company, very good prices, great product and quick delivery.

http://www.haltertags.com

I have my initials (it's a little more subtle).