The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default RIP Persistant Rain (Radnor 2001)

Sweet, dear Persistant Rain – Persi – died this evening.
    He had hunted Thursday and Saturday, looked grand, acted happy, all was well.
    Sunday morning he seemed depressed and refused his breakfast. Neurologic symptoms, once the onset began, brought him down rapidly.

I held his head and told him, over and over, what a good, beloved, noble horse he was and that there were many people, many many many people who loved him.

This was a horse that David O'Connor said would 'go all the way' after he rocked at Radnor 2001. He was touted as a frontrunner for Rolex the next spring (though I don't think he ran.)

Please say a prayer of thanks for getting the opportunity to know and love Persi.

There will be a full autopsy done to identify the cause of death. The vet believes it could be the sudden catastrophic onset of a neurologic disease, possibly EPM.

Godspeed, gallant Persi.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

I remember this horse. So nice. RIP Persi! My thoughts are with DOC.

Hunter's rest: Thank you for taking care of this horse until the end. In my mind, it is the people that are willing to help see a horse onto the other side that are the heroes. My thoughts and appreciation are with you, first and foremost, and *then*to his other connections.

So sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Quality Hunter Ponies

This summer at my summer camp Persi taught 3 girls 'how to jump' and one advanced student how to feel a flying change! (This was the horse who was so upper level that he'd give you the most perfect counter-canter if you Didn't. Ask. Just. Right. for the correct lead!!)
    This fall he taught 4 riders 'how' to foxhunt.
    He was one of those wonderful, wise Thoroughbred geldings who had so much to give.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

RIP Persi
    Sorry for your loss.

Loved this horse! Such a talent and a joy to be around. He was with Ralph Hill for a while and my stallion who hated just about every horse he met loved Persistant Rain. They were shipping buddies, lived next to eachother in the barn. He got lots of carrots and scratches for being such a sweet boy and such a good influence on my stallion who was quite the holy terror in the barn in his youth. RIP buddy, you will be missed by all who knew you.

sorry he is gone RIP Persi!

Necropsy results are in.
    99% (or greater) chance that Persi died as a result of 2 broken ribs that perforated his lung. A recent injury, as recent as 24 hours (prior to death.)
    : (

Godspeed Persi.
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

So sorry for your loss....it is just so hard to lose them..

Wow, so sorry for this loss. It sounds like he was one of the good ones.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

I'm so so sorry.

I'm so sorry.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter's Rest View Post
    Necropsy results are in.
    99% (or greater) chance that Persi died as a result of 2 broken ribs that perforated his lung. A recent injury, as recent as 24 hours (prior to death.)
    : (

I'm so sorry. I have a horse recovering from a broken rib (expensive surgery). We have no idea how he got it, not a mark on him...but he presented like he was neurologic too. These crappy things just happen.

So sorry for your loss. He sounds like he was a special boy...and at least lived a lovely and full life....and will live on in many peoples memories.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Nov. 30, 2011 at 09:58 PM.
    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

I am so sorry to hear about Persi. He seemed like such a cool horse.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I got to pat his nose once. Godspeed, good horse.
    Click here before you buy.

Thumbs up hugs and blessings

Sincerest condolences to all; a swift and pain free transition for Persi, how blessed he was to have you with him I do so feel your pain and wish you warm and wonderful memories to comfort you We are so blessed to have had such special horses in our lives
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Thumbs up theses horses stay in our hearts

It sounds as if he touched the hearts of, and will be remembered by many
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Question wbroken ribs?

Wasn't an upper level horse, Mandiba perhaps (?) said to have broken ribs recently?As one who, has had many broken ribs and punctured lungs , I can tell you that the feeling of a punctured lung is like no other broken rib I'm glad his passing was peaceful and you were able to be with him
    breeder of Mercury!