The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I Have arena lights!!

Well we finally got some lights up. We are just lighting "half" of the 250 x 140 arena, so an area 125 x 140, altho you really can ride the entire arena with the lights. Upper end tho is a bit dark for anything like jumping. We went with 3 - 400 watt metal halide lights. Plan to install 2 more when funds will allow to finish lighting arena. I would have liked to mount them higher, we went with abou 21 feet, but had to be able to reach them with a ladder for adjusting and changing out bulbs. I need to change the angle on them, but it is rideable now as it is. Not as bright as my arena I had about 15 years ago that had 6 "ball park" type lights, but plenty adequate for our needs! Very exiciting to get this project done!!

That's what I have- I LOVE those lights. No, it's not stadium-quality lighting, but you won't pay through the nose in power bills, either. I just LOVE mine. Did I mention that??

Congratulations

How much did it cost?

Amazing what an improvement can do for you and your riding. You'll really enjoy this, I bet. More time on pony. Congrats.

Default Where did you buy your lights?

I am going to replace two of my 1500 watt sportslighters with the 400 watts. I already have two of the 400 watts but my electrician is charging me too much to replace the big lights and i am trying to save money. Sadly, I listened to him when he insisted I get the big lights and it's like an alien abduction....blinding.. and I've yet to use them more than 10 times in two years as they caused my last horse to bolt and spook repeatedly everytime I tried to ride in the ring. I would prefer a softer less blinding light.
    Shoulders back, hands down, leg ON!

http://mellvinshouse.blogspot.com/

I am serious jealous.

We bought a bunch of high bay lights a few years ago for the barn and arena. Fortunately my hubby does electrical work so I didn't have that expence. He bought them off ebay!! If I can find out who the company was I will pass it on.

Got the information:
    Sunlighting. Joe Hurrle 317-888-0338
    Highbay lights a few yrs ago were $50 each, and that included a new bulb.

I'm jealous! We have the fixtures but haven't installed them yet. Too many projects to do! I still have fencing that needs to go up so one of these days we'll finally get to putting all the posts in the ground for the fencing and the light poles.

Can those HiBay lights be "aimed" towards the arena from a further distance away, or do they have to be overhead and pointing down? We would need to mount them on our barn which will be about 50 feet away from the side of our future arena. Just don't have the ambition to run them all the way out to the edges of the arena!

Our lights are outdoor fixtures, VERY heavy duty, I lucked out and bought 4 BARELY used fixtures (used less than one month) off CL for $300! QUite a bit more to buy new. THat included bulbs as well. We bought the wire ourselves, after the electrician told us what do buy, did the trenching ourselves with tractor, had elec company bring two light poles ($115 each) and install them ($75), we already had one pole up next to arena so used that for the third light. Electrican mounted the lights (we did have to buy 4 trunnion mounts at $100) and did all the work connecting and putting in switch etc for $500. The wire ran about $800 I think. I want two more lights up but have to wait a bit for more money!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by WBLover View Post
    Can those HiBay lights be "aimed" towards the arena from a further distance away, or do they have to be overhead and pointing down? We would need to mount them on our barn which will be about 50 feet away from the side of our future arena. Just don't have the ambition to run them all the way out to the edges of the arena!
    Hibay, and Lobay, have to hang. No way to mount and "aim" them. And they aren't for outside use. :-(

I am so jealous!!

Oh, I got confused in this thread, since it was about an outdoor arena and someone was talking about HiBays, I thought they had them outdoors. So your metal halides are not HiBays, shawneeacres? Are they the spotlight types? I have 50W ones on the outsides of my barn, I probably could get a higher wattage of those but they get expensive! I probably could look for them used like you did!

These would probably work, right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outdoor-Aren...item53e9a8a772

Not too bad in price, and come with the bulb. I would probably only get 2 of them, I don't need it lit up like a ball field, just enough to see where we are going!

Make sure you can get replacement bulbs, WBL. Some of those package deals are weirdly difficult to get replacement bulbs for.

Thanks for the warning!