The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Colt Starter in Central or Southern California

Hello Everyone, I am in the process of trying to locate a reputable and experienced colt starter for three young warmbloods in the southern half of California. My focus is to find a trainer that can provide a well rounded education before they start their careers. The horses have been handled regularly but could benefit from a firm but kind hand since they are getting big and athletic. Two of these horses will go on to my H/J trainer for further training so this is not required from the colt starter. The filly is a QDR grand-daughter who seems fairly sensitive and I suspect will need a little more time being started.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I live in the Tehachapi mountains and had a trainer here get my young horse restarted. He had actually been started under saddle briefly, and then had some health issues that required he have time off. So several yrs later, we decided to just start his training over. He's a 17'2 hand warmblood gelding.

She did a lot of ground work with him, then work in the round pen and then rode him. It's been great. He now goes well under saddle and is great on the trails. If this is a location you would consider, I'll give you the contact info.

I live near Santa Ynez and I know of someone. She only works in SYV however. She is great at starting. You can PM me if you are interested. I'm not certain she is taking on new clients but she works very hard.