The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Ramp or steps for getting dog in car?

My almost 11 year old Aussie was just diagnosed with terminal cancer. Not sure how long he has, but we are trying to keep him comfortable. He is still active and wants to go do stuff. Of course I have toned things down and go on shorter walks.
    The problem is that he is majorly bloated (abdomen is full of fluid) and weighs in at 60lbs (because of the fluid.) Because of the weight and bloating, I have no easy way to pick him up and put him in the car.
    Any ramps or steps recommendations?
    Has anyone build their own?
    How about using a mounting block? I don't own one but could maybe borrow one from the barn...
    Thanks in advance.

Oh dang, I'm so sorry for you and your friend! My family has used a ramp similar to this for interior stair and the vehicle and it worked very well. in our experience, the wider the better b/c the hind end tends to go out there and make its own path... you could easily fashion something out of scrap wood and carpet, just keep it wide and stable.

http://www.discountramps.com/pet_step_dog_ramp.htm

Good luck and peaceful times to your family.

So sorry to hear about your dog.

I have set of steps that were built to help my dog get on the bed, but they're much too heavy to want to lift in and out of the car. My mom used a mounting block for her elderly dog for a long time, and it seemed to work well. The downside is many mounting blocks are on the heavy/bulky side for lifting in and out of the car.

Good luck finding something, I hope you and your dog are able to enjoy lots of time together
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

I'm so sorry to hear about your pup. You are a wonderful mom.

I have a friend with an elderly, arthritic Lab and she uses a ramp that slides up and down, which works well for her dog. Sometimes she has to help keep his hind end stable as he goes up, otherwise, it's pretty easy for him.

Sending you and your boy hugs...
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

I recently bought a folding ramp for my car (small wagon) to help my older dog with arthritis get in easily. It works very well. I set it up off the back bumper, it has a lip that settles over the edge of the top of the bumper and a snap that you can snap onto the trunk latch thing on an SUV or wagon. Then she just walks right up the ramp into the back of the wagon area. It works very well with the wagon, which is low, and I imagine it would work well with an SUV but the incline would be steeper. I think it would work well with a car whose doors opened wide - my car's doors are rather narrow, so it doesn't really work into the back seat.

I only really bought it because I found it on a great clearance deal at Petco, but it works very well. It's similar to the one in the Amazon link below. It folds into a small stack and is easy to stow in the car. It's a little bulky and I keep dropping one end on my foot as I set it up (and the dog looks away) but she's fine using it. The first couple times, I used food and she was a little uncertain about the bridge effect, but she's fine if cautious now.

http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Gear-Tri-F.../dp/B000GIPWMM

Good luck with your dog.